Funny Pics II: The Revenge

6 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Ahmed Best contemplated committing suicide. As I said: overblown.

I know. But the reprehensible part was fans taking their upset with the character out on the actor who portrayed him. It's not like he chose to play someone glorifying rape or genocide, for God's sake. It's just a damn movie. If they absolutely had to hate a real person, it should have been George Lucas for creating Jar Jar Binks.

17 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I know. But the reprehensible part was fans taking their upset with the character out on the actor who portrayed him. It's not like he chose to play someone glorifying rape or genocide, for God's sake. It's just a damn movie. If they absolutely had to hate a real person, it should have been George Lucas for creating Jar Jar Binks.

Additionally, Jake Lloyd's childhood was permanently scarred. Curiously, the actor that voiced a thinly disguised Greedy Jew stereotype seemed to escape any (most definitely undue) criticism.

4 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

He could have not taken the part, but he may have been deceived about the character. And he probably didn't expect a character who he probably thought would be just forgettable comic relief to become so reviled. And Jar Jar was technologically groundbreaking. But that Lucas made his the Stepin Fetchit of the series was despicable.

And I'm sad Jake Lloyd's family let him take the part. It should have been played by a teenager, not a child. At the time, Lloyd and his family must have been excited to be part of Star Wars.

I sometimes think George Lucas was a bit of a con man when it came to the prequels. And the racist caricatures in The Phantom Menace are inexcusable.

Before Phantom Menace came out, half of Hollywood would have killed for a prominent role in a new Star Wars movie. Public excitement for the project was through the roof. Visions of fame and fortune must have danced in the eyes of everyone cast in a major role. So I can't blame anyone for taking the project and having faith in George Lucas (again, at the time).

13 minutes ago, Cancer said:

:think: Not sure we have a potato masher any more.  Usually we use the electric hand mixer for that.

The tricky thing is, with an electric hand mixer, it's easy to overmix and turn them into paste.  The analog version, not so much and I actually don't mind little lumps here and there for texture :)

34 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

The tricky thing is, with an electric hand mixer, it's easy to overmix and turn them into paste.  The analog version, not so much and I actually don't mind little lumps here and there for texture :)

We use a potato ricer for smooth mashed potatoes. 

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

spacer.png

I read that and the first thing I thought of was the German hand grenade.  I said to myself, "What, the drawer is booby trapped by the grenade?  What is this?"

Then it occurred to me it was the kitchen utensil.  Most people find being slow on the uptake amusing--except for the person who's being slow on the uptake.

On 6/23/2020 at 9:55 AM, tkdguy said:

Also that screaming woman vs cat meme. The woman,Taylor Armstrong, was in one of the Real Housewives series. The origin of that scene is actually pretty disturbing.

The hitler meme is from something disturbing too. Making disturbing things into jokes is a way to deal with it.

On 6/23/2020 at 3:09 PM, Ragitsu said:

Additionally, Jake Lloyd's childhood was permanently scarred. Curiously, the actor that voiced a thinly disguised Greedy Jew stereotype seemed to escape any (most definitely undue) criticism.

The greedy merchant stereotype could fit in everywhere. In fact this is the first I heard of it as Jewish. Maybe it was because it was a such a weird alien that we did not see any human cultural traits in it. 

4 hours ago, Trencher said:

The greedy merchant stereotype could fit in everywhere. In fact this is the first I heard of it as Jewish. Maybe it was because it was a such a weird alien that we did not see any human cultural traits in it. 

You haven't been around the internet enough. Watto is eerily close to how racists tend to portray the stereotypical greedy Jew out to get your money.

7 hours ago, Cygnia said:

I make sure the masher is in our deepest drawer, where we keep our measuring cups, funnels and ramekins.  That seems to work.

We keep ours hung with the skillets, because it is never fun to not open a drawer. 

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

Usually we use the electric hand mixer for that.

Sacrilege! 

Blasphemy! 

6 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

smooth mashed potatoes. 

Even worse! 

:rofl: