Funny Pics II: The Revenge

Thanks, LL.

4 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Thrawn was a quality villain. I wish Disney had used him, at least as inspiration, for the new trilogy. The villains we got instead were just so pathetic. 

The original written-by-the-creator (allegedly) series featured an empire of billions, wiped out and brought to a screeching halt when a bunch of teddy bears killed a hundred or so of them.

Vader was impressive when I was in high school-- mostly the iron lung / James Earl Jones combo, I think.  The Emperor, in light of the teddy bear thing, was shown to be about as effective as Voldemort (you know my feelings about a terrifying master villain who can't kill a baby or take out a high school student), suggesting that pathetic villains are part and parcel of Star Wars.

I am not being funny:  I love you guys, but at some point, you've got to accept that Star Wars was _never_ the art you remember it as.

Are there really still SW fans out there over 12 years old who think Ewoks taking out a legion of Stormtroopers was good writing and not just a weak attempt to sell toys?  If so, I am not aware of them (not that I was looking too hard).  I thought it was the primary reason why RotJ gets downgraded in most reviews of the original trilogy.

5 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Thanks, LL.

The original written-by-the-creator (allegedly) series featured an empire of billions, wiped out and brought to a screeching halt when a bunch of teddy bears killed a hundred or so of them.

Vader was impressive when I was in high school-- mostly the iron lung / James Earl Jones combo, I think.  The Emperor, in light of the teddy bear thing, was shown to be about as effective as Voldemort (you know my feelings about a terrifying master villain who can't kill a baby or take out a high school student), suggesting that pathetic villains are part and parcel of Star Wars.

I am not being funny:  I love you guys, but at some point, you've got to accept that Star Wars was _never_ the art you remember it as.

Here's a collection of scenes displaying the awesomeness of Grand Admiral Thrawn.

I always thought the Ewoks taking on the Stormtroopers was ludicrous, but the Stormtroopers come under the mook rule anyway.

Having said all that, they still could have done better with the villains in the sequel. Kylo Ren whines and throws tantrums; hardly main villain material. General Hux was cartoonish and cliche. I thought he was going to burst a vein during his speech in The Force Awakens. Snoke just failed to impress. I know Palpatine returns in Rise of Skywalker, but I never watched the movie. The Last Jedi killed the sequels for me.

1 minute ago, tkdguy said:

I always thought the Ewoks taking on the Stormtroopers was ludicrous, but the Stormtroopers come under the mook rule anyway.

Having said all that, they still could have done better with the villains in the sequel. Kylo Ren whines and throws tantrums; hardly main villain material. General Hux was cartoonish and cliche. I thought he was going to burst a vein during his speech in The Force Awakens. Snoke just failed to impress. I know Palpatine returns in Rise of Skywalker, but I never watched the movie. The Last Jedi killed the sequels for me.

Geez, spoilers! 

I never watched the movie either....

2 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Even then:

They took out three hundred of our guys.  Oh no!  We've only got a billion left!  I guess they win....

Well, they took out three hundred guys, allowing the rebels to take out the shield generator that protected the incomplete but armed second Death Star, which rebel ships then destroyed with the Emperor and his right-hand man on board. It's a domino thing. The aforementioned The Mandalorian series is set shortly after that battle, in which we see that the Empire, although thrown into chaos by those events, is far from defeated.

But I'm with you that Ewoks were a silly move. I remember an interview with George Lucas in which he claimed the original plan was for the battle to take place on the home world of the Wookies, but he claimed Chewbacca had made them appear "too sophisticated" to be used like feral guerillas. But I concur with the assessment that the real reason was to sell cute cuddly toys to kids.

4 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Well, they took out three hundred guys, allowing the rebels to take out the shield generator that protected the incomplete but armed second Death Star, which rebel ships then destroyed with the Emperor and his right-hand man on board. It's a domino thing. The aforementioned The Mandalorian series is set shortly after that battle, in which we see that the Empire, although thrown into chaos by those events, is far from defeated.

But I'm with you that Ewoks were a silly move. I remember an interview with George Lucas in which he claimed the original plan was for the battle to take place on the home world of the Wookies, but he claimed Chewbacca had made them appear "too sophisticated" to be used like feral guerillas. But I concur with the assessment that the real reason was to sell cute cuddly toys to kids.

Yeah, it matters a lot how many hundreds of light years that your billion extra men are from the scene of the battle....

7 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

The idea of the Wookiee’s (later Ewoks) taking on the Empire was an allegory for the Viet Cong defeating the U.S. in Vietnam.  
   The lore is that George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola being in U.S.C. Film School together had plans to tell the story each in his own way...George in Star Wars and Francis in Apocalypse Now. 
    Whether that part is true I make no assurances of.

12 hours ago, archer said:

Yeah, it matters a lot how many hundreds of light years that your billion extra men are from the scene of the battle....

In a universe where a fighter-  a ship with a tiny cockpit and no refrigerator- is all you need to hop from one end to the other?  No; I dont really think it does make a difference.

In an even slightly logical setting, it might make a difference, but Star Wars has never had one of those.  

Ever notice that all the stuff pointed out as proof that star wars is good doesnt actually come from Lucas or his films?  Its the fanboys themselves, sinking the work into creating the justifications that it takes to make any sense out of it.

My favorite was how overjoyed the fans were when right before selling it, Lucas announced "its all canon.'  The fans were delighted, and I suspect its because to a person they held ob the backs of their mind 'cool; I can make it work the way I want and finally make sense out of it."