Funny Pics II: The Revenge

8 minutes ago, Asperion said:

For her,  gold is a waste stone to be tossed out while straw can be used in many different ways,  explaining her reaction. 

I get the joke and I think it's clever; but unless her fantasy world runs on a completely different monetary standard than the real world ever did, she's now in a position to buy all the freakin' straw her cow could ever want.

13 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I get the joke and I think it's clever; but unless her fantasy world runs on a completely different monetary standard than the real world ever did, she's now in a position to buy all the freakin' straw her cow could ever want.

I should have mentioned that I got the joke as well.  However,  to use the gold she needs some method to exchange it,  and usually the wealthy keep tight reign on that.  If some peasants suddenly appear with tons of gold,  they will make lots of noise and things will turn bad for everyone very quickly. 

9 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Esyo-Z6XYAAFeeP?format=jpg&name=900x900

While it's completely appropriate to make fun of people in North Carolina, people from states where it snows a lot don't understand states where it doesn't snow much or often.

1) The snow is different. There's usually a higher moisture content and it melts when it first hits the road. That moisture then freezes which creates a layer of ice. What you see in pictures as "snow" is a thin layer of snow over a sheet of ice.

2) States where it doesn't snow much or often don't have any road equipment to move snow off the road. So once it's there, it's there until a complete thaw comes. If there's much snow at all, the snow partially melts then refreezes overnight to make driving the next day even more treacherous.

3) People in those states have little or no experience driving on snow or ice. My wife was an elementary school teacher for 25+ years. She'd have third graders who had never seen snow before except on TV shows. So if it started snowing during the school day, most classes would stop and the teachers and students would go out onto the playground to watch the miracle happening before it stopped.

4) Nobody has snow tires. And worse than that, since there's no snow, there's a lot of people who drive around on almost completely bald tires without being particularly punished for it. So there's no snow tires on anyone's cars and a heck of a lot of cars with bald tires driven by inexperienced drivers.

That's what you're seeing a picture of.

4 hours ago, archer said:

While it's completely appropriate to make fun of people in North Carolina, people from states where it snows a lot don't understand states where it doesn't snow much or often.

1) The snow is different. There's usually a higher moisture content and it melts when it first hits the road. That moisture then freezes which creates a layer of ice. What you see in pictures as "snow" is a thin layer of snow over a sheet of ice.

2) States where it doesn't snow much or often don't have any road equipment to move snow off the road. So once it's there, it's there until a complete thaw comes. If there's much snow at all, the snow partially melts then refreezes overnight to make driving the next day even more treacherous.

3) People in those states have little or no experience driving on snow or ice. My wife was an elementary school teacher for 25+ years. She'd have third graders who had never seen snow before except on TV shows. So if it started snowing during the school day, most classes would stop and the teachers and students would go out onto the playground to watch the miracle happening before it stopped.

4) Nobody has snow tires. And worse than that, since there's no snow, there's a lot of people who drive around on almost completely bald tires without being particularly punished for it. So there's no snow tires on anyone's cars and a heck of a lot of cars with bald tires driven by inexperienced drivers.

That's what you're seeing a picture of.

Thanks for explaining to these knuckleheads. NC never closes completely in a blizzard but there are places up toward Boone and over toward where Hermit lives where the mountains shuts down for a bit

CES

13 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

Thanks for explaining to these knuckleheads. NC never closes completely in a blizzard but there are places up toward Boone and over toward where Hermit lives where the mountains shuts down for a bit

CES

I can sympathize.

Around here during snow or ice, the local news sends cameras out to the freeways and starts off the first 5-10 minutes of the broadcast with cars and trucks doing their impression of a cross between the Ice Capades and Roller Derby.

Then they set up their live broadcast with the image of one of the freeways in the background. It isn't uncommon to see 2-3 wrecks in the background live.