Funny Pics II: The Revenge

6 hours ago, Starlord said:

spacer.png

My dad once found a squirrel digging in the flower bed at the front of his house. He yelled at it from his porch to scare it away, but instead it charged up the stairs at him. Dad ducked inside and slammed the glass front door just before the squirrel threw itself at the door.

Best description of squirrels I ever read: Rats with good public relations.

7 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

As someone completely outside comic book fandom who gets semi-regular exposure to comic book fans (about a third of my players are comic book fans, and they leave comics around regularly, particularly when it's something "you just _must_ read"), I am going to state with honesty and without malice that there are no comic book authors to which these statements do not apply.

You never gotten a recommendation? Not Astro city? Not Sin City? Not books of Magic? Not Watchmen? Not kingdom come? Not Killing joke? Not the Kraven saga? Nothing? Nothing at all?

59 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

My dad once found a squirrel digging in the flower bed at the front of his house. He yelled at it from his porch to scare it away, but instead it charged up the stairs at him. Dad ducked inside and slammed the glass front door just before the squirrel threw itself at the door.

Best description of squirrels I ever read: Rats with good public relations.

I don't know if anyone else has been forced to try to kill a squirrel with his bare hands. But it isn't as easy as it might look.

(Misadventures of youth)

I have recieved many recommendations, and have read a few.

The thing I was politely trying very hard not to say is that none of these things are as brilliant as the fans think they are.,,from outside the fandom, most of them are derivative of the last thing that was recommended to you, highly repetitive thematically (every Batman /Joker story recommended to me can be boiked down to "Joker goes edgelord again, and this time we drew the gore.  Again), and none of them are especially memorable.   This may have been different back in "the day," for whatever your day might have been, but from the outside, comic books read like fanfiction of comic books.

Again:  I intend absolutely no malice.  I simply want to put it out there that the view from inside might not be the most unbiased view.

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

I have recieved many recommendations, and have read a few.

The thing I was politely trying very hard not to say is that none of these things are as brilliant as the fans think they are.,,from outside the fandom, most of them are derivative of the last thing that was recommended to you, highly repetitive thematically (every Batman /Joker story recommended to me can be boiked down to "Joker goes edgelord again, and this time we drew the gore.  Again), and none of them are especially memorable.   This may have been different back in "the day," for whatever your day might have been, but from the outside, comic books read like fanfiction of comic books.

Again:  I intend absolutely no malice.  I simply want to put it out there that the view from inside might not be the most unbiased view.

No i think you're right. The people writing today were fans yesterday and their stories read like profession fanfiction for the most part.

CES

On 3/14/2021 at 5:37 PM, death tribble said:

Astro City is different. It restored my faith in heroes.

Kingdom Come again is different and if you are aware of the history of the Justice League then read it.

No idea about the history of the Justice League.  Astro City _was_ different, but even then, it read like a particularly up-beat Doc Savage serial from the old magazine.  (I quite liked those, actually: the uncle I named my son after had his entire childhood collection over the barn; I burned through them when I was a kid).

I've come to the conclusion that everyone has their own instinctive reaction to every entertainment, fiction, and work of art, colored by their personality and experiences. Some things certain people connect to automatically, others they don't and never will. It's not that they're mistaken or flawed in some way, it just doesn't reach them the same way it does another person. In that case no amount of explanation will ever help someone understand, emotionally, why something is great. (Intellectually, maybe. I can think of several things in that category that apply to me.)