Funny Pics II: The Revenge

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Oh, I really really want to know the story behind that.

I've more often seen this sort of stuff cast as the bride's mother doing the sneering at the groom rather than the way presented here, but there's a whole genre of humor cast about dominating, controlling mothers from higher-socioeconomic-class doing everything short of actual homicide to keep her precious sprog from tying up to the Utterly Wrong PersonThing from a background wholly, unspeakably beneath hers.  There were overtones of that at the wedding where I was best man, with bride's family dropping barbs at members of the groom's family over choice of clothes at the ceremony.

My own mother was different from this mostly in that she fundamentally could not accept as possible that her children might be capable of making their own valid choices in their personal lives.  This manifested in several ways, up to and including trampling on what we were trying to say over the phone, "forgetting" to bring film for the camera to my brother's wedding, and spitting in nearly incoherent fury when the husband she chose for my sister turned out to be impervious to her manipulation methods and ran their family in a way that did not give her total control.  An important part of her message was that I and my sibs lacked any judgment and our only proper course was to do precisely as she directed.  She would never apply the adjective "perfect" to anything, in particular us.  (My family could not pretend anything about social class superiority, and she did seem to grasp that.)

Life was easier in a number of ways (and less easy in some others, of course) when I went off to school, hundreds (initially) or thousands (grad school) of km away from my folks' place.  Being able to filter the information Mom got, and not being subject to what could be described as "surprise inspections of the soul", were among the benefits.

15 hours ago, Cancer said:

I've more often seen this sort of stuff cast as the bride's mother doing the sneering at the groom rather than the way presented here, but there's a whole genre of humor cast about dominating, controlling mothers from higher-socioeconomic-class doing everything short of actual homicide to keep her precious sprog from tying up to the Utterly Wrong PersonThing from a background wholly, unspeakably beneath hers.  There were overtones of that at the wedding where I was best man, with bride's family dropping barbs at members of the groom's family over choice of clothes at the ceremony.

My own mother was different from this mostly in that she fundamentally could not accept as possible that her children might be capable of making their own valid choices in their personal lives.  This manifested in several ways, up to and including trampling on what we were trying to say over the phone, "forgetting" to bring film for the camera to my brother's wedding, and spitting in nearly incoherent fury when the husband she chose for my sister turned out to be impervious to her manipulation methods and ran their family in a way that did not give her total control.  An important part of her message was that I and my sibs lacked any judgment and our only proper course was to do precisely as she directed.  She would never apply the adjective "perfect" to anything, in particular us.  (My family could not pretend anything about social class superiority, and she did seem to grasp that.)

Do you have any idea how far I to that I read before I realized you weren't talking about the kid on ceiling fan?! 

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Sorry. 

Heck, I am impressed that the fan mounting could hold up the kid.  The one in my house can't; it barely holds the fan up, as the wobbling of the fan clearly indicated back when the fan still actually worked.

Nothing here may help you, but for what it's worth:

A proper, code-approved ceiling-fan and chandelier mount should be rated for at least 40 pounds; most are rated for 60, and all your big box retailers sell 50-pound kits.  There are kits that go over 200 pounds, no problem.  (if you aren't familiar with them, google a company called "Big Ass Fans" and note the listed weights of their products.)

The wobbling almost never relates to the load on the mounting box (though far too many "professionally-installed" ceiling fans are mounted into junction boxes and light boxes as opposed to code-approved ceiling fan boxes).  Generally, there's a balancing issue with the fan itself, and usually in the blades.  There are adhesive and clip-on weights to fix this, though a number of people will glue or tape coins to the backs of the fan blades.

46 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Nothing here may help you, but for what it's worth:

A proper, code-approved ceiling-fan and chandelier mount should be rated for at least 40 pounds; most are rated for 60, and all your big box retailers sell 50-pound kits.  There are kits that go over 200 pounds, no problem.  (if you aren't familiar with them, google a company called "Big Ass Fans" and note the listed weights of their products.)

The wobbling almost never relates to the load on the mounting box (though far too many "professionally-installed" ceiling fans are mounted into junction boxes and light boxes as opposed to code-approved ceiling fan boxes).  Generally, there's a balancing issue with the fan itself, and usually in the blades.  There are adhesive and clip-on weights to fix this, though a number of people will glue or tape coins to the backs of the fan blades.

We know that that part of the house was done by a couple whose marriage was falling apart as they were trying to get the house into a sellable condition, so if there was a way to do it faster at the cost of doing it wrong/unsafe/illegal ... they did it.  And I am entirely serious there.  So the standards of "proper" and "code approved" probably were never actually met.

For another example, the big windows in the south wall look glorious, but as we found out shortly after we got into the house, they did not caulk all the way around each window.  As far as we can tell, they only put in the caulking at places where they could see daylight between the timber and the metal of the window panel.  So the whole frickin' wall had been leaking water slowly since the wall had been put in, and we had to have a structural beam replaced; you could push your thumb into the old one in places due to the rot.  The windows themselves were fine (at the time), but nothing around them was.  Nothing like having to spend $15k (1994 dollars) on your house by surprise shortly after move-in.

(We didn't buy the house from the folks who put in that addition; there was one set of intermediate owners between us and the add-on amateurs.  Those intermediate owners concealed some roof issues -- again due to the add-on-ers getting cheap and wrong ("we don't need no steenking vents") -- from us that we discovered they knew about by accident, since we contacted the same roof outfit as they had so it was in the roofer's database, so they were obliged to pony up for some of that.  But the intermediate owners didn't know about the window issue and the structure rot.  And yes, there was some negligence on our part as well, as I let my wife hire a friend to do the inspection, and it turns out *he* stiffed us and did essentially nothing in the way of inspecting.  I doubt I'll have to buy another house, but I have learned that lesson in the event that I do.)