Issue with teh Funny Pics thread

Christopher

7 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

Picture heavy shouldn't have mattered unless images were being stored on herogames.com.  A link to an image is just text, after all. 

A few things wrong with that:

a) It is considered extremely rude to steal someone elses bandwith like you are suggesting

b) I asume this forum software copies the images to a local storage.

c) The issues in building the thread smells of a database issue. Honestly it is a small wonder the whole site was not knocked out by this isssue. It is apparently a well designed Forum software.

d) This was a thread that had been copied over from at least 2 previous forum softwares

e) this was in the NDG Forum. Non Gaming Discussion.

f) Who even looked at the old entries?

4 hours ago, Christopher said:

A few things wrong with that:

a) Unless it's a dedicated image hosting service that encourages such behavior. 

b) My web programming experience is modest, but I don't see what the benefit to blowing a lot of storage like that would be.  It seems silly to rehost everything. 

c) Agreed. 

d,e,f) I don't see the relevance.  What bearing do these have on the correctness of my statement? 

Of course, this is a moot point now that I'm poking around in the page source of the new thread and finding that yes, some people are uploading directly to herogames.com while others are linking. 

4 hours ago, Christopher said:

New Users were going through 1100 pages of old "Funny Pictures" content?

I was doing my best to catch up on what transpired while I was away, actually.

Though technically not a new user, and if anyone was wondering, most of the pics from the first _several_ hundred pages simply aren't there anymore.  You can't even "open in new tab" on them.  Don't know if it's a forum issue, someone took them down, or if there were bad links.

Either way, it's not a terrible loss: the internet is filled with funny pictures; It was just kind of nice to have a hand-picked selection.