Saving Forums Content

Xotl

Is there any way for Hero to offer a torrent of the backed-up forums (minus all the Off-Topic stuff), or a standard solution for us to do the archiving ourselves that works with this forums software?

The "purge" statement says that old threads will be deleted: that's 14 years of posts, pretty much the entire modern history of the game.  All those rules discussions, character builds, official rulings, etc being lost would be a terrible blow to the system and its fans, IMHO.

It will be a real loss to the community.  Is it possible (and while I am expecting a simple no here, I am hoping for more) that the vast majority of images etc are associated with NGD and that we might purge NGD without losing the real gaming content that I would have thought the site was here to support?

It will be a perceived (but not actual) loss to the community. People simply do not access the content*. Case in point: the NGD and most other forums were pruned before the announcement went up.

* Yes, I'm aware that one or two will chime in stating that they looked at an archived thread a month or two ago -- if they're willing to cough up $400 per month for the privilege (and go under contract for at least a year), then we can talk.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

It will be a perceived (but not actual) loss to the community. People simply do not access the content*. Case in point: the NGD and most other forums were pruned before the announcement went up.

* Yes, I'm aware that one or two will chime in stating that they looked at an archived thread a month or two ago -- if they're willing to cough up $400 per month for the privilege (and go under contract for at least a year), then we can talk.

Understood. Since you generously provide this server space to the community for free, we can't ask you to do more.

If I had that money to spare, we would talk. Sadly, by the time I win the lottery it'll be too late.

The intention is for the pruning that's already been done to be all that is needed. Should that not prove to be the case (e.g. the 4.5GB database requires too high of a RAM load for reasonable hosting plans), the order of operations for additional pruning would be:

1. Prune all posts started over a year ago in the NGD - this would remove the long-running (and space-hog) threads and get rid of the bulk of the posts that can/should be pruned back.

2. Prune posts in the gaming forums (HERO System Discussion, Champions, etc.). This will remove a decent amount, but not as much as the NGD.

3. Prune any remaining forums (this is the only point at which the rules questions forum would come into play)

Again, the intent is to have the pruning that has already been performed be all that is needed.

On 2/1/2019 at 9:37 PM, Simon said:

e.g. the 4.5GB database requires too high of a RAM load for reasonable hosting plans

I asume you are using some version of PHP and thus MySQL? Then there is not much room for optimisation.

If it was a MS SQL server you would have nice stuff like the Filestream storage Attribute. And stuff like the Output syntax.

You can say what you want about MS Product prices, but they do have some of the nicest features for professional developers.