Blocking Ranged Attacks?

herpderpskerp

Question

Say my character has the Deflection power, and wants to block a ranged attack using her power. She's got a speed of 4 and it's Phase 5, so technically she can't act until Phase 6. Do I have to declare the block on Phase 3 during her turn while she's doing all of her other stuff, or do I just say that my character is blocking the moment the GM says "Okay, the enemy is shooting at you"? If it's the former, can I just have that explained like I'm 3 to 5 years old because it actually makes no sense to me at all. If it's the latter, how does the 1/2 phase cost factor into that? Does my character just start Phase 6 with half a phase already used up from the block?

And of course the former is how it's being run in my group, so at the end of the day I'm just gonna have to suck it up and say "Before I end my turn, I'm declaring a block, just in case the robot shoots at my character" every single phase, but some sort of clarification of the rules would be appreciated.

1 answer to this question

Since a Block is a defensive action, a character can Abort to it -- meaning use his Phase earlier than normal. In your example, he doesn't have to declare the Block in Segment 3 -- after all, at that point in time he doesn't even know that someone is going to shoot a Ranged attack at him. In Segment 5, when the attack occurs, he can Abort to Block it. That means he uses his Phase in Segment 6 early. So when Segment 6 comes around, he doesn't get to take his usual action, because he already Aborted to Block. (Since characters can Block multiple attacks at an increasing penalty, he could go on Blocking more attacks, until he misses one of the Blocks.) He can't act again until Segment 9, when SPD 4 next has a Phase.

In short:  if your GM requires you to declare your Block in Segment 3 (in this example), he's not playing according to the rules as written. That's his privilege, of course; he can certainly change the rules for his campaign if he wants to.

I hope that clears everything up. You can also look at the Abort rules on 6E2 21-22 for additional explanation and examples.