Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Bazza

14 hours ago, Old Man said:

The backlash for this last episode was pretty intense, and deservedly so. Hopefully it’s just a fluke, but I’m drastically lowering my expectations for the rest of the season. 

14 hours ago, Bazza said:

I think it is already there. Some have stated the writing went downhill when the show overcome the books. What used to take a season now is compressed into an episode or two.

I summarized my exasperation to my friend thusly: “It took them two years to write this crap?!”

He agreed that the problems showed up when they overtook the books. And why the hell aren’t the books done yet?! Unfortunately, it’s already in the can and there’s no way to pressure them into better writing. There is no “next season,” and the writers have extended themselves way beyond their abilities. 

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

An example on the commentary on the writing: 

The 3 plot holes from the last episode of Game of Thrones I can't stop thinking about. - Mamamia News
https://apple.news/AN7cx5ym2TsuGFmXm4LWm3w

1. Why couldn’t Ghost stay with Sansa?

2. How did Missandei get captured?

3. Why can't Daenerys and Jon lead together?

There were plot holes in the episode but I don't think those three are plot holes.

1.  He wants Ghost to be out in the open with nomads.  The decision where he stays isn't a 'plot hole'.

2.  She was told to get in the skiff, then it was captured off screen.  Don't think that qualifies either.

3.  This one seems obvious - Dani refuses to share power.  She essentially said it right to Jon's face b4 they left for Dragonstone and Varys repeated it to Tyrion during their debate on the boat.

For me, the major plot holes are:

how Euron is waiting(I suppose we could find out later they were betrayed and someone gave Cersei their travel plans) and ready to shoot a scorpion with a large fleet of ships somehow hiding in the right spot to ambush the dragons with physics-defying accuracy.

why Cersei didn't just shoot Tyrion and especially why she didn't just shoot Dani?

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Probably the massive penalty for grappling with her hands tied led her to decide to die with dignity instead.

There was a point where Cersei actually had her arm entwined through Missandei's arm, which seems like it would have offset any grappling penalty. Perhaps even bonus. All she had to so was clench her arm to her waist and jump. As I said earlier, her last words should have been, "You're coming with me!"

5 hours ago, Brian Stanfield said:

At this point, I'm hoping that the final episode ends with Bob Newhart waking up and saying, "Wow! I just had the weirdest dream." 

Experience Points awarded for those of you who get the joke. . . .

Being old enough to get the reference means I already got tonnes of experience. But I'll accept some more. 🙂

The writing in season 7 was flabby, time filling crap. The writing in season 8 is rushed rushed rushed. Highlights reel indeed!

Could have (should have!) finished off one of the villains (Cersei or Night King, your choice) in season 7, leaving 8 for the final baddie, whoever that might have been.

The plot is being moved along by idiot ball and plot holes. <sigh>. But I am highly invested in the soap by this point. I will see it out.

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

Huh? Who are you referring to with D&D? 

Its the nickname for the show runners. After the author left the show (or got squeezed out if my guess is right.) 

I think they are aiming towards the same ending like Xmen the last stand.