Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Bazza

So far, everyone saved by the Lord of Light died when their goal was achieved. Which leaves Arya and Jon as the last two left to die who the lord of light apparently directly saved.

Which would be for the best. Jon was never a good leader, he is a good man, but he is awful at politics, which is kind of a prerequisite for the job, and he is more competent at getting competing groups to fight together than in actually planning those fights.

Tywin was a rotten individual, but he was right about a King needing more than goodness to rule.

Conversely, Danaerys may not be mad at all. She literally summed up what sway she had correctly, fear, and maximized that. I'm not betting on it, but, to break the wheel, there can't be thrones, in King's Landing or Winterfell or anywhere else. These people need to come from this time of suffering and establish a thriving democracy with a free press that exports all war and violence to Dhorne in the name of Freedom. To me, that is the lesson the whole show has been moving toward.

12 hours ago, Toxxus said:

One possible outcome I see is Drogon obeying Jon instead of Daenerys since he is the rightful heir to the Targaryen throne.

Killing her with her own dragon would be brutal on multiple levels.

Agreed, and then kill it anyway. Practically it is too dangerous to live after King's Landing.

Ep 5 things I missed the first time around:

• Varys is plotting to poison Daenerys, hence the discussion with the kitchen girl, and Daenerys' extreme diet.
  • Arya might have been killed in KL and raised by the LoL.  Possibly more than once.
  • Arya's horse is (probably) the one originally ridden by the Golden Company commander.  The girl she tried to save, along with her mother, died clutching a horse toy.
  • What happened to Davos?

34 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Caution: swearing and cussing in article ahead. Analysis from a military historian

https://www.bodyforwife.com/to-everyone-angry-about-what-happened-on-game-of-thrones-last-night/

Some people are angry about Daenerys's move to the extreme, but I hear many others saying they saw it coming, that it was foreshadowed over the course of the series. What the great majority of people criticizing the show seem to be bothered by is the abruptness of the move, the lack of build up. That's a broad general complaint -- it's all so rushed, which makes everything feel like an unsatisfying anticlimax.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Arya might have been killed in KL and raised by the LoL.  Possibly more than once.

Lord of Light Divine Regulations Handbook, Chapter 2, Rule 6.1A clearly states:

Resurrections are only done in the presence of a priest or Red Woman.

;)

43 minutes ago, Starlord said:

- Samwell Harley killed more people than the entire Golden Company

- What was the point of Bronn this season?

Samwell also bragged about being one of the only people to kill a white walker, and then pooped his pants when their minions showed up. :shock:

As for Bronn, I think his purpose was to show how crappy Winterfell’s security is: “Oh, hello stranger with a loaded crossbow. Come right on in. Jaime and Tyrion are in that room over there getting drunk. Don’t bother knocking.” :whistle:

23 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Some people are angry about Daenerys's move to the extreme, but I hear many others saying they saw it coming, that it was foreshadowed over the course of the series. What the great majority of people criticizing the show seem to be bothered by is the abruptness of the move, the lack of build up. That's a broad general complaint -- it's all so rushed, which makes everything feel like an unsatisfying anticlimax.

Agree, mostly. The article I posted which you replied too said as much as well. 

"And despite the fact that they crammed way too much stuff into too little time this season...[Dany] did what history would dictate made perfect sense."

Thus, her trajectory was always going to be this, but it was compressed in too few episodes. 

My prediction for tonight's episode:

Jon and Greyworm duel. Jon dies.

Arya assassinates Dany.

Drogon goes insane, and burns everyone in Westeros to death in hastily-processed green screen CGI fire and brimstone. The episode closes with a weary Drogon spiraling to a graceful landing in the remains of the throne room. He curls himself around a half-melted Iron Throne, and rests his head on top. The camera fades to black, closing on Drogon's sad eye as he goes to sleep (nay, brumation, he's a reptilian after all) for the Long Winter.

I think they'll build so as to appear like Arya will murder/assassinate Dany, but it will be Jon. Arya kills Greyworm to protect Jon.

Drogon gets killed when he comes across Dany and rages. Maybe trapped, tunnel with a scorpion or something of that nature.

I think they've got to kill the remaining dragon. That's the one thing that seems certain to me. You can't have that murder machine running around Westeros.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do. Wish there wasn't so much time pressure but it is what it is. S8e3 was fantastic and now it feels like tying up loose campaign ends.

Probably ends with this: