I Rolled A 3... On This?

Steve

In our current Weird West campaign being run by one of the other players in our gaming group, during the last session my character was taking care of some newly-acquired horses. I rolled my Animal Handler skill and received a 3, a critical success.

So, what good is a critical success on Animal Handler? Just what would a critical success on this skill do?

Have you ever had a critical success on a skill that felt like a total waste of an excellent roll? What skill was it on?

In reverse order...I was playing in a cyberpunk game, years ago.  Can't really remember which one.  Possibly Cyberpunk Next Year.  God, that's depressing, isn't it?

Anyway, they used exploding dice.  Well, they did after we'd dosed them with Nitrogen Tri-iodide.

Seriously though, you roll a d10, add it to your stat.  If you roll a 10 you roll again and add, and so on.  First roll of the game, the very first roll, I had to make a Perception Roll to see if I spotted some trucks rolling over the desert toward our compound.  It was an Easy Task.  I rolled five 10s and a 2.  I could have seen ants rolling over the desert half a mile away.

Mind you, I do like to mark a roll of 3 in Hero.  if I was GMing you would have formed a special bond with one of the horses and possibly acquired it as a follower.

3 hours ago, Steve said:

In our current Weird West campaign being run by one of the other players in our gaming group, during the last session my character was taking care of some newly-acquired horses. I rolled my Animal Handler skill and received a 3, a critical success.

So, what good is a critical success on Animal Handler? Just what would a critical success on this skill do?

Have you ever had a critical success on a skill that felt like a total waste of an excellent roll? What skill was it on?

If you got a  chance to look at trained warhorses in a Bestiary, perhaps that Horse or Horses could pick up a skill for free? At the very least, they are really friendly towards you so in game when you call for one, they come-no making a characteristic check to see if they listen.

Happened to another player.  Rolled a 3 on the Activation Roll for a Force Wall to imprison one of the Seven Horsemen.  

As we're debating on what that 3 means, we recall this particular Horseman can just Desolid through the FW.

The GM says "I know exactly what effect that 3 has."   Horseman when 'thunk' against the Force Wall that wouldn't let him through.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:22 PM, Steve said:

Yup. Was playing a character that built his own power armor and we were helping one of the PCs DNPCs.

Character went in to fix her TV (or something like that, it's been a long time since we played that campaign) and ended up rolling a 3.

Critical success on TV repair.....

As for what good a critical success on Animal Handler would be . . I got nothing.

2 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Yup. Was playing a character that built his own power armor and we were helping one of the PCs DNPCs.

Character went in to fix her TV (or something like that, it's been a long time since we played that campaign) and ended up rolling a 3.

Critical success on TV repair.....

As for what good a critical success on Animal Handler would be . . I got nothing.

Rolling a 3 on TV repair?    Free HBO & Netflicks for life!!!!

Interesting programs from other countries?  From Venus?  From next week? 

Maybe it's now the world's first high-def 3D CRT screen? 

Or go with the more obvious, if a bit more mundane, suggestion for a critical repair roll:  it never, ever breaks again.   Or he did it in record time, with a stylish flair.  Something like the Fonzie thump, and viola: never breaks again. 

Rewards don't have to be spendible to be satisfying. 

4 hours ago, Tjack said:

Rolling a 3 on TV repair?    Free HBO & Netflicks for life!!!!

3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Interesting programs from other countries?  From Venus?  From next week? 

Maybe it's now the world's first high-def 3D CRT screen? 

Or go with the more obvious, if a bit more mundane, suggestion for a critical repair roll:  it never, ever breaks again.   Or he did it in record time, with a stylish flair.  Something like the Fonzie thump, and viola: never breaks again. 

Rewards don't have to be spendible to be satisfying. 

These are kind of what we went with. :)

I wasn't upset, per sae, just like "Really? THIS is when I roll the 3?!"

21 minutes ago, Brian Stanfield said:

Ok, time to rein it in,guys. You’re all starting to look a little un...stable. :rofl:

Don't bother trying to rein it in. We won't stop even if you talk at us until you're horse.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says it's like locking the barn door after the horses are loose.

38 minutes ago, Tjack said:

My name is Tjack, and I’m a punaholic.

You're my first ever "down-vote" for that one. That's not very punny. You must be punished and sent to the punitentiary. . . . :sick:

Just kidding. Bring it on. Usually Lucius is the only one who brings the groan-worthy puns.

3 hours ago, Brian Stanfield said:

You're my first ever "down-vote" for that one. That's not very punny. You must be punished and sent to the punitentiary. . . . :sick:

Just kidding. Bring it on. Usually Lucius is the only one who brings the groan-worthy puns.

That wasn’t meant as a pun, and you should feel lucky that you didn’t know that the correct response to that statement is “Hi Tjack!”