Stupid Question: Making an AI car

JmOz

Okay, been playing for years, however sometimes I just forget...How do you make an intelligent car.  Not a car controlled by a computer, or more to the point a computer controlled car where the computer is completely part of the car (the two are not in anyway separate)

33 minutes ago, JmOz said:

Okay, been playing for years, however sometimes I just forget...How do you make an intelligent car.  Not a car controlled by a computer, or more to the point a computer controlled car where the computer is completely part of the car (the two are not in anyway separate)

Build the AI. Build the car. Say that the AI is in the car. It's that straightforward. :)

2 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

Just build it with INT and EGO. Don’t think you need to do much more in game terms to be sentient...

2 hours ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

Build the AI. Build the car. Say that the AI is in the car. It's that straightforward. :)

Both of these are completely correct. If the car itself is sentient, go with Doc's suggestion.

If the AI is portable and is just in the car right now, but can be taken out and put elsewhere (note that this is different from "copied"), then go with Joe's suggestion.

By tradition in HERO, INT refers to "processing speed," whether it be a person, and alien, or a computer.  It is not a measure of raw IQ or any other such thing.  Thus, it's entirely possible to have a Nobel Laureate with a 5 INT: he is the "slow and steady" thinker, but he is _not_ stupid.  It's possible to have an utter moron who processes things quickly: note that one of the functions of INT is (used to be?  I can't remember) the PER roll.

Again, this is by _tradition_.  I personally find it _really hard_ to justify when, in the next breath, knowledges and intelligence-based skills like are based on the INT roll.....

But apparently it wasn't broken enough to notice in 5e, and I simply haven't had time to refresh myself with 6 (my new copy of Basic is still shrink wrapped, two weeks or so after arriving), but since you can't kill people with it, it probably wasn't broken enough to fix there, either.  (again, I really don't remember).

By further long-standing tradition, "EGO" represents, among other things, strength of will.  Willfulness implies self-direction, or at the very least, some sort of wanting, ergo: sentience.

Hope that helps!

Duke