GMing Danger Sense

RDU Neil

19 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

You could use danger sense for a simple disarm the bomb scenario (once) if its a choice between two options: this one is danger, that one is not.  I'm fine with that kind of creativity but don't push it because the next bomb will have lots of options that will waste your time and you won't get the thing disarmed before it goes off unless you know what you're doing.

I brought this discussion up specifically with the group at last night's game. Immediately the players said, "Oh man... that's easily a Blue Chit use of Danger Sense!" which referred to my chit rules... a version of luck that allows limited expenditure each game that can modify a power use (do a power stunt), add plot points, etc.

It really does help when you have players who 'get it' and are looking to create a fun, dramatic game/story... and understand the rules are in service of that end, not in demonstrating some powergaming/show-off/competitive need.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Rather than start a new thread about the same subject, I'm just going to resurrect this one with a question: What that hell does this mean? "Characters with Intuitional Danger Sense get their full DCV against dangers, but cannot make attacks at full OCV if they make the roll by half." 

I get that the full DCV is a benefit of not being surprised, but making the roll by half seems like a good thing, right? This rule seems to be sayin if you roll really well you don't get to use your full OCV. What am I missing here? I'm sure it's really obvious, but I'm just not seeing an obvious answer . . .

9 minutes ago, Brian Stanfield said:

Hey all,

Rather than start a new thread about the same subject, I'm just going to resurrect this one with a question: What that hell does this mean? "Characters with Intuitional Danger Sense get their full DCV against dangers, but cannot make attacks at full OCV if they make the roll by half." 

I get that the full DCV is a benefit of not being surprised, but making the roll by half seems like a good thing, right? This rule seems to be sayin if you roll really well you don't get to use your full OCV. What am I missing here? I'm sure it's really obvious, but I'm just not seeing an obvious answer . . .

Normally Danger Sense gives you full OCV if you make your Danger Sense roll by half even if you don't have any (other) Targeting senses that can sense your attacker.  Intuitional Danger Sense doesn't do this. 

3 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Isn't intuitional a limited firm of DS?  I ask because it has been some time since I read 6e, and I have yet to find the time to read Basic. 

Ah, got it. The "less than half" wording is a Catch-22 way of describing it. "Less than half" is usually a good thing, but in this case doesn't mean "make the roll by more than half" because that would be "less than half." It apparently means make the roll, but "not under half." I'm tired, what can I say?