Best Super Multiverse Movie Tournament - Round 4 - FINALE

ROUND 4

For the Best Super Multiverse Movie Tournament, each participant submitted two entries of a comic book character that they would like to see star in a multiverse movie (ala Into the Spiderverse). You the voters will decide which would be the Best Super Multiverse Movie by voting for your preference in each match up. Anyone can vote.

Round 3 Results:

Captain America (4) OVER Carol Danvers (1) – 5 to 4

Doctor Doom (5) OVER Robin, the Boy Wonder (11) – 5 to 4

Green Lantern (4) OVER Doctor Manhattan (5) – 6 to 3  

Phantom Girl (8) OVER Storm (3) – 5 to 4  

The Hulk (11) OVER Superman (6) – 6 to 3  

Shifted Out: Pariah (1), Death Tribble (3), Cancer (5), Pattern Ghost (6)  

FINAL ROUND: Rank them in order, highest will get 5 points, next will get 4, etc.

Captain America (4)

Doctor Doom (5)

Green Lantern (4)

Phantom Girl (8)

The Hulk (11)

Highest: Doctor Doom (5) -- At least for a while, Doom was Marvel's most human and most interesting villain character, and a pan-dimensional interpretation could be really good if done right.  Later, others -- Magneto comes to mind -- may have eclipsed him, but I still think classic Doctor Doom is a fascinating character in his own right.  Frankly, I can imagine versions of Doom that reinvent themselves into world-saving heroes of the first rank, or even are shown to be Snape-like cryptoheroes from day 1, as well as others that do the equivalent of inventing the Daleks and murdering everything in the universe;  I don't think any of the different versions of Doom could work with each other for very long, but the reasons why individuals wouldn't ought to be interesting and varied.  And the obvious comic title "Universal Doom" is just too cool to pass up.

2nd: The Hulk (11) -- Hulk himself is likely to be quite similar among various dimensions.  But the entity that is Hulk's alter ego?  All those could be drastically different, and the melding of their backstories could be used to great effect if done right.

3rd: Phantom Girl (8) -- The only female among the finalists, which is too bad; her story as I know it (remember, I haven't read much in the way of comics since the Silver Age) isn't all that fleshed out.  Still, female characters are still not well represented in terms of depth, and a good treatment of any of them ought to be high on the list.

4th: Captain America (4) -- The best, most noble hero from the best, most noble nation, each from a different universe.  Could be interesting, but the nature of the character demands a strong overlap in outlook and adventures.  Probably the worst thing is: I can see this one being done catastrophically badly, even worse than Civil War, if the wrong writer got it and decided to portray patriotism and the very concept of democratic nation-state as flawed or evil.  I'd really want a careful treatment of this one.

Bottom: Green Lantern (4) -- As Starlord says: aren't there lots of the GL Corps already?

Doctor Doom - I don't think Doom is inherently a villain. There's a benevolent noblesse oblige to his character which requires him to fulfill social responsibilities. Even in the mainstream 616 universe, many of his attempts to take over the world are based around the idea that the world is screwed up and he can really fix what's wrong with it and make things better for people if only he were in charge. It'd be interesting for 616 to see alternates where his doppelgangers successfully solved world hunger, poverty, and the unending grind of daily life without resorting to despicable behavior like killing underlings who fail him.

Captain America - I think I'd like to see this not for the other Captain America's themselves but for the various alternate realities and how those others choose to carry on the fight to inspire people and make those worlds a better place. Nazi America with the Germans having won WWII and co-opting American patriotic symbols for their puppet government in the US. Communist World where the "domino theory" was actually true and the creation of North Korea and a communist Vietnam led to most governments around the world falling to the "red doom". Obama becoming president and ending racial strife in America. Donald Trump wearing the Serpent Crown.

Green Lantern - I see this not as a recreation of the Green Lantern Corps but at alternate looks at how the Guardians might have decided to use the Corps. They could have been control freaks and have put a Lantern on every planet to act as the leader and enforcer of the Guardian's will. Or use them to raise and train rebel groups to overthrow unjust governments. Or to start a religion centered on the Guardians. I mean you'd have to get around that whole "There's only an Oa in one universe" thing before you could come up with alternate versions of the Corps but once you handwave that away, there's a lot of very alien ways for a group of aliens to use an army of super-enforcers.

Phantom Girl - I love Phantom Girl but most of her alternates would be just looks at different versions of the Legion of Superheroes. And with all their nauseating reboots, we've seen that over and over anyway. I'd rather just see a LSH story in the Paul Levitz era before the Great Darkness Saga. That'd dovetail in to the DC movie universe trying to set up Darkseid as an ultimate god-like villain if they wanted to show the lead up to the Saga in subsequent movies. No alternates, just a great story with a great group of heroes with distinct personalities.

The Hulk - I'm not much of a fan of the character in this multiverse-bending setting. If a mindless versions met another version, most likely they'd instantly start a fight and destroy the world around them and I don't see a way around that without some convenient handwaving to erase that part of their personalities (Dr. Strange cast a calming spell on them, etc.). And I don't know what you'd do with more than one mindless Hulk at a time anyway. I never liked the gray-skinned version. Professor Hulk is vaguely interesting but I don't know what he'd do on the big screen.