Captain Marvel with spoilers

Bazza

5 hours ago, massey said:

I don't like the idea that criticizing 40 year olds is gerontophobic.  I strongly reject this idea.  Please, please God let it not be true.  You know some people say that 40 is the new 20.

It's a sobering thought to realize that when Mozart was my age, he had been dead for 19 years.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

I'm curious which of Larson's statements conveyed that message to you.

I am thinking he is, as others have mentioned, taking the comments she made about Wrinkle in Time (which is basically true, the movie wasn't made for 40+ white males) that were being credited as being about CM, due to the fact she made them at a press conference for CM and was answering a criticism of Wrinkle in Time.

Aside from making the stupid assertion that 40 year old white men aren't capable of critiquing A Wrinkle in Time*, I didn't find anything particularly offensive or targeted as anti-40 year old white male about the speech, taken in context. My takeaway was that she wanted to see more female critics in the mix, who approach movies aimed at women from a female perspective. And I think it's a valid point. My wife and I like pretty much the same kind of stuff, but when discussing different shows, it's very clear that she approaches stories from a completely different angle than I do. Things that bug me don't bug her and vice versa.

*A good critic can apply fairly objective criteria, and also take note that they're only providing one perspective. A Wrinkle in Time had some objective problems based on fairly universal storytelling principles. The real problem she's seeing is that most critics suck at their craft, and that Rotten Tomatoes frequently lists hacks who can't handle basic grammar in the "pro" column on their site. But Larson's main point was that she wasn't being interviewed by any female critics when on the CM press tour. Which is kind of silly, given that there are plenty of female critics, even if lesser known, who have good genre knowledge and might better represent the target audience for her movie.

11 hours ago, slikmar said:

I am thinking he is, as others have mentioned, taking the comments she made about Wrinkle in Time (which is basically true, the movie wasn't made for 40+ white males) that were being credited as being about CM, due to the fact she made them at a press conference for CM and was answering a criticism of Wrinkle in Time.

Probably.  I generally don't follow entertainment news, or pay attention to things that celebrities say.  I don't use the Twitter machine or anything like that.  But occasionally I'll see a Facebook post about "so and so causes controversy with statement about blah blah blah".

Basically I feel that if they want me to pay money to see their movie, it's their responsibility to market it for me.  I don't have any duty to research the context in which she made some statement, or try to understand what she may have meant.  Now, I still saw the film.  I didn't think her comments were so outrageous that I would refuse to watch it.  It came across as just generic "girl power" crap.  But it definitely didn't motivate me to see it.  In the end I trusted Marvel to make a decent popcorn flick, and I didn't feel disappointed.

On 3/20/2019 at 6:54 PM, Christopher said:

Clawed out by a alien, shapshifting horror that shortly before ate entire Kree patrols? Does not seem very stupid to me.

21 hours ago, Toxxus said:

It was beyond stupid.  He's been nothing but lovey dovey to the Flerkin up to this point and the space-cat clearly enjoys his attention; fights on his behalf; recognizes friends from foes; and then out of nowhere blinds him.  Later, they're inexplicably on good terms again.

Sorry, but after something takes your eye you don't continue to let it roam your office in case it wants to be petted and/or take your last eyeball.

Dumb as !@#$.  Easily the worst part of the movie.

Toxxus nails it for me.  It made what should be an important element of Fury's backstory [https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/4/18241645/nick-fury-loses-eye-marvel-comics]- instead it was played for a cheap laugh.

Sure, a cat might lash out.  How many cat owners are missing an eye because of Fluffy or Snowball?  Many cat owners have small kids.  How many cat-related mutilations do you hear about?

I saw a preview for a girl version of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.  It stars the big fat blonde girl and the bitchy brunette.  It actually looks really funny.  I laughed several times during the preview and I'll probably see the movie (maybe not in theaters but definitely on Netflix).  I loved the original film and this remake looks good too.

Contrast that with the girl remake of Ghostbusters.  I mildly chuckled a few times during the first trailer I saw, and then when I saw the extended trailers, none of the added stuff made me laugh at all.  I said "oh boy, that's a bad sign", because they usually put the funniest stuff in the trailer.  If they only have about 20 seconds of funny, that's not a good thing for a comedy.  I avoided that movie like the plague and from what I heard, that was a good move.

Popcorn flicks can include a little bit of a social message without ruining them.  But they have to be good movies on their own.  Some forced diversity doesn't make a crappy movie good.

A thought this morning.  Remember all the negativity over the Ancient One being cast to a female actress?  Not one word about Mar-Vell's gender swap that I have seen to date.  Even though going from male to female also moved Mar-Vell out of being remotely combat-capable at the same time.

I liked the nod to the comics.  There was clearly no way we would get the Mar-Vell story as it played out in the comics, but including the character as a key player in Carol's origin, however altered, was a nice homage, and (at least for me) an unexpected one that tied MCU Carol better to Comics Carol.  Her amnesia, similarly, echoed her loss of memory in the comics, despite having very different reasons.  It also allowed her to play the Mar-Vell role of loyal Kree operative who comes to learn that the Kree are not the "good guys".

9 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Toxxus nails it for me.  It made what should be an important element of Fury's backstory [https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/4/18241645/nick-fury-loses-eye-marvel-comics]- instead it was played for a cheap laugh.

Sure, a cat might lash out.  How many cat owners are missing an eye because of Fluffy or Snowball?  Many cat owners have small kids.  How many cat-related mutilations do you hear about? 

Usually you only break bones trying to chase them:

https://pets.webmd.com/news/20090326/pets-cause-thousands-injuries

https://www.livescience.com/10995-cats-dogs-household-hazards.html

Plus this was a Alien Shapeshifting Monster Immitating a Cat so it's behavior can be slightly...off.

27 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

How many flerken:

- owners over small kids?

- related mutilations do you hear about?

Eh, at this point MCU Marvel has a much longer association with a woman than it does a man anyway.

I thought Fury losing his eye was intentionally played for stupid, i.e., look at the way this badass character actually loses an eye.  HAHA, aren't we funny?  No?  Ok.

I actually thought his reaction to it was far worse.  He completely no-sold a serious injury for the rest of the movie.  It's one thing in an action movie to take a serious blow and keep fighting, but then to be calmly sitting around the dinner table like nothing happened. I found that a bit jarring.

3 hours ago, massey said:

I generally don't follow entertainment news, or pay attention to things that celebrities say.  I don't use the Twitter machine or anything like that.  But occasionally I'll see a Facebook post about "so and so causes controversy with statement about blah blah blah".

Wait, so you formulated a negative opinion without learning what Brie Larson actually said (and in full context)? Well that's disappointing.

4 hours ago, Bazza said:

How many flerken:

- owners over small kids?

- related mutilations do you hear about?

How many years did the flerken sit on the air force base, never causing a problem, waiting for the chance to claw out an ally's eye? 

It demonstrated no difference from a typical cat, until we got the mouth tentacles and tesseract storage abilities, so why would its claws be different from any other cat?  It did not leave grooves in the floor (or the spacecraft when it presumably tried not to be thrown back).

As I said about the Eye earlier, I liked the idea he lost it taking a bullet for Pierce, as was hinted at and then turned about on Pierce as it was that eye that still gave Fury access to restricted documents. Losing it to the Flerken was silly UNLESS it turns out it is now infected to do something else at some point.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

Wait, so you formulated a negative opinion without learning what Brie Larson actually said (and in full context)? Well that's disappointing.

I don't think you understand how little interest I had in the Captain Marvel character to begin with.

I saw a headline.  An actress I'd never heard of made a potentially inflammatory statement.  She was starring in a movie I already had no desire to see.  Now I'm supposed to go out of my way to verify it?  No, sorry, I'm not going to do that.

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

As I said about the Eye earlier, I liked the idea he lost it taking a bullet for Pierce, as was hinted at and then turned about on Pierce as it was that eye that still gave Fury access to restricted documents. Losing it to the Flerken was silly UNLESS it turns out it is now infected to do something else at some point.

There was nothing about Fury's eye and a bullet where Pierce was concerned. Fury took a bullet for Pierce at some point. Considering what Fury did for a living, not unexpected considering how many bullets were tossed his way by the Hydra Police and Hydra SHIELD troops.

10 minutes ago, Old Man said:

That’s fine, but it’s not a good look to post uninformed opinions about the movie you didn’t see in the forum thread dedicated to that movie.  

Perhaps you should read my original post before you make condescending remarks about it.  Not a good look there.

did see the movie.  I liked the movie.  My point was that I don't have any obligation to follow up on some celebrity's opinion.

3 hours ago, slikmar said:

As I said about the Eye earlier, I liked the idea he lost it taking a bullet for Pierce

Yeah, that probably makes for more interesting head canon, but how exactly does one lose an eye to a bullet without having one's brains blown out at the same time? Moreover, this image of the eye wound from Winter Solider makes it evident that it wasn't due to a bullet. The look of that wound screams either shrapnel (as in the comics) or alien/animal attack (as depicted in Captain Marvel).

maxresdefault.jpg

A bullet that merely grazed the eye but did not make contact with the skull would not have produced the lacerations and scarring we see on Fury. A bullet that hit the eye, penetrated the eye socket, and produced a non-lethal exit wound on the side of the skull would have not only left no salvageable eye tissue in the head, but would have required reconstructive surgery to the skull producing fairly extensive healing scars between the eye and ear, again something we don't see. I just don't believe that when the fx team was told what kind of prosthetics to create and apply to Samuel L. Jackson for that scene that "bullet wound" was what they were going for.