Captain Marvel with spoilers

Bazza

3 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

It might not come across that way, but I didn't intend to.  I understand irksome, though.

Writing is now a chore for me rather than the effortless joy it was for decades. So I consider the time I'm able to write to be precious since I have so little of it compared to the past.

6 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

Just saw it yesterday.  Generally liked it.  A few thoughts:

--didn't think CM too overpowered, I put her on par with Thor, so she's the WW to his Superman

I expect that will be what we see going forward.  I don't think she faced anything remotely close to Thanos (much less Thanos with 6 Infinity Stones) in her movie.  What did we see her do that was more impressive than Thor's entrance in Wakanda in Infinity War?  She would have had to take the opponents down one, or at best a few, at a time from what I saw in her movie.

Unless...

whoever though the Flerken was a good idea writes Endgame.  Then Carol will likely swoop in and be completely ineffectual, as will the rest of the Avengers, other than as a distraction so the Flerken can tear Thanos' head off with one claw swipe, then curl up and lick itself.

4 hours ago, Bazza said:

Can't find the DC Shazam thread. 

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/shazam-review/2/ 

I think it may be all contained in the DC movies thread. I just looked and couldn't find it either.

Also, whoever wrote that doesn't know the difference between a copyright and a trademark, but that doesn't change the fact that Captain Marvel now has to go by  Shazam! Which makes introductions difficult, I could imagine. "Hi, I'm . . ." scribbles name furiously so he doesn't turn back into Billy Batson . . . other person backs away slowly.

So we've all been smacked over the head countless times with the "most powerful character in the MCU" declaration, and by the end of her movie she did take out Kree warships without breaking much of a sweat, but I feel that Captain Marvel is really just a blunt instrument, so to speak. She's great when all you need is raw destructive power, but if the problem at hand requires guile or subterfuge or emotional manipulation or just plain out-thinking the opponent, then your biggest, bluntest instrument isn't going to get the job done. I suspect that the writers of Endgame will find a situation that suits her, where the good guys really need a living photon canon, but will leave the solving of "the Thanos problem" to characters with much more subtlety and finesse.

On 3/23/2019 at 5:12 PM, archer said:

If Fury had put the cat down and been fighting an alien and Goose had swallowed four aliens while Fury's back was turned, that could have been a great comedic moment. Fury would have had a "what the hell happened" look on his face when he turned around then glanced down at Goose who was casually licking his paw and pretending that nothing odd had happened.

THIS! I mean... MCU movies have been this smart in the past. They've had writers who understood that even a small measure of subtlety and misdirection can turn something simplistic into something resonant. You can take a scene and layer it... the surface layer of what is happening, the 4th wall layer of what the audience sees that the characters don't, the subtext layer of what it thematically represents... hell the inuendo or double meaning layer, where a joke for the kids means something else for the adults... whatever... there are so many ways good writers can create depth in a film...

... and Capt. Marvel hand none of them. It existed entirely in the literal surface layer. This is what I meant by "dumbed down". 

On 3/23/2019 at 6:30 PM, archer said:

Her Flerken's name was Chewie. The other known Flerken's name was Goose.

The MCU people more likely to run into Star Wars infringement problems than run into Top Gun infringement problems.

Just because Disney owns both Star Wars and the MCU doesn't necessarily mean that the two sections of the company play nice with each other.

I suspect it had much more to do with the name Goose fitting in better with the whole test pilot thing. 

Saw CM for the second time.  Perhaps it's because I was looking out for it, but I don't think Brie's performance was wooden so much as subtle.  She's quietly competent and confident without crossing the line into actual arrogance.  What I still didn't get was that the film wasn't funny.  The jokes were there, but the timing or delivery is just off.  I can't put my finger on it.

Still a good film, but like some other films, I felt there were wasted opportunities.  Anyway, people in the audience cheered when the screen flashed "CM will return in Endgame".