Captain Marvel with spoilers

Bazza

The anti-feminists have shifted their campaign from predicting that Brie Larson will have sabotaged her own box office prospects by at least $100M, to a conspiracy theory that states Disney is somehow inflating box office return figures to make it merely look like a success, when in fact it is the massive failure they predicted all along. The crazy never quits.

Finally got around to watching the movie. Pretty solid, I enjoyed it. I liked Brie Larson in the role. Enjoyed the energy projecter powers and the removal of a power damper as a reason for upscale in power level. Ronan the Accuser was cool, even as a backdrop to the main story. Young Nick Fury was fun. In fact the whole movie was pretty fun. I'd put this in an upper tier (solid B+) of the Marvel echelon.

I didn't care for the Supreme Intelligence depiction. Thought "I'm Just A Girl" was WAY too heavy handed as fight music (yes, we get it) - would've been more effective to have the same sequence and interactions with a different musical number. The Skrull suddenly being so benign was jarring.

I do think it's interesting seeing Marvel try to take a lead from DC (Wonder Woman). They did a nice job. Just unusual as its been the other way around cinematically.

Good movie. I'll watch it again when it comes out in streaming medium.

Saw it again tonight.  Took the wife, as well as my niece and nephew.  They all loved it.  My wife isn't big into superhero movies, but she loved the 90s nostalgia.  And the flerkin.  She totally predicted the cat scratch eye loss.

Second time viewing, I think I liked it more.  It solved a problem I had the first time.  Once the Skrulls get to Earth, they think they've got all they need from her.  Thus it's okay for them to shoot at her.

Finally saw it the first time. It's good, but not great. I am glad I saw it! Good action, I do think Larson was too subdued in the acting. I'd be okay with that as the amnesia victim angle, except she acted the same in a lot of the flash backs but it really a minor thing and I've certainly seen more wooden performances.

I recently saw a YouTube review of Captain Marvel that pointed out that '90s Fury used the word "shield" for S.H.I.E.L.D. However, in 2008--during the events of the first Iron Man film--Coulson made it pretty clear that they were still working out the name of the organization and were referring to it by its individual words (they were mining humor out of how much of a mouthful it was, remember?). It's these little failures of continuity that make me shake my fist in rage at Hollywood screenwriters.