Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bazza

Captain Marvel with spoilers

Recommended Posts

On 3/14/2019 at 1:13 PM, slikmar said:

IIRC, from the First Avenger, Howard found the Tesseract relatively quickly after Steve went down, while looking for Steve. I would probably say within 6 months to a year.

 

I remember that too. Frankly, I always found it a little odd that SHIELD took nearly 70 years to try to harness the Tesseract's power if they possessed it all that time, especially considering they had all that confiscated Hydra weaponry we saw in the first Avengers movie. The idea that it moved around some over the years seems more reasonable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I remember that too. Frankly, I always found it a little odd that SHIELD took nearly 70 years to try to harness the Tesseract's power if they possessed it all that time, especially considering they had all that confiscated Hydra weaponry we saw in the first Avengers movie. The idea that it moved around some over the years seems more reasonable.

 

14 hours ago, Greywind said:

More than likely, the Tesseract was an ongoing project with SHIELD/Hydra.

Shield was not the "Ultimative Security Agency" it was in Ironman 1 at the time.

There were plenty of Secret US Military Projects the agency was not privy too.

 

The part where Alien Infiltration turned out to be real (both from the Kree and Skrulls) propably gave it a boost in financing and importance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "lightspeed engine" that Mar-Vell was working on was on a whole other level compared to the technology in Kree vessels (or anyone's vessels for that matter). I think the fact that it took 22 hours for Yon-Rogg's ship to reach Earth from Hala (or wherever it started) served two purposes in the story. One, to give our heroes time to prepare for their arrival. And two, to show just how limited space travel is for even a highly advanced civilization like the Kree. I think the Bifrost was the closest to what Mar-Vell was close to achieving, but the Bifrost was limited to travel to/from Asgard, whereas Mar-Vell's engine could be theoretically built into any vessel and transport it anywhere in the MCU instantaneously (because that's what the Space stone does).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zslane said:

The "lightspeed engine" that Mar-Vell was working on was on a whole other level compared to the technology in Kree vessels (or anyone's vessels for that matter). I think the fact that it took 22 hours for Yon-Rogg's ship to reach Earth from Hala (or wherever it started) served two purposes in the story. One, to give our heroes time to prepare for their arrival. And two, to show just how limited space travel is for even a highly advanced civilization like the Kree. I think the Bifrost was the closest to what Mar-Vell was close to achieving, but the Bifrost was limited to travel to/from Asgard, whereas Mar-Vell's engine could be theoretically built into any vessel and transport it anywhere in the MCU instantaneously (because that's what the Space stone does).

Agreed. And the fact they were using the tesseract (which when built into a projector allowed an entire army of aliens to invade New York in Avengers 1) lends credence to that theory. It would have been interesting if Scarlett Witch had not been dissolved, showing that people whose powers were created using the Infinity Stones (ie Captain Marvel and Scarlett Witch) were unaffected. Would have given an additional basis for why she might be more effective against Thanos (power level aside).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zslane said:

but the Bifrost was limited to travel to/from Asgard

 

It seems like the Bifrost is limited by who and by what artifact. Remember, Heimdall sent Hulk to Earth from the space ship, and then later Eitri tells Thor that Stormbreaker may even be powerful enough to summon the Bifrost. Then Thor shows up on Earth nigh-instantaneously, which could well have been him using the Bifrost again (or just editing not showing travel time). I don't think the Bifrost at this point is just the physical manifestation of the bridge that was shown in the earlier Thor movies. It seems like another area the MCU is redefining as it goes (or between creative teams for different movies.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Eitri tells Thor that Stormbreaker may even be powerful enough to summon the Bifrost.

 

Well, even if Eitri was correct, one could easily imagine that "summoning the Bifrost" would let Thor activate it from wherever he was (i.e., not needing Heimdall's intervention), sending him to Asgard, from which he would then subsequently send himself to a new destination. Travel time would still be extremely quick, even with Asgard being the intermediate "way station" for all Bifrost travel. However, I also believe Eitri said that not yet knowing that Asgard--along with the Bifrost--was gone, destroyed by Surtur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stormbreaker's travel trick looked just like Asgard's Bifrost -- a column of coruscating, multi-colored light descending from the sky, leaving a circle of "runes" burned into the ground. Since Asgard and the original Bifrost are now ash and debris, I'd say the implication is clear that Stormbreaker allows Thor to create a bridge from wherever it is, to wherever he wants to go. A power like what comic-book Mjolnir has had almost from the beginning of Thor's "Journey into Mystery" days.

 

This Tesseract/lightspeed engine business reminds me of another McGuffin associated with the Kree from their early comic-book appearances, the Omni-Wave Projector. That secret allowed the Kree to communicate even across inter-galactic distances, but a Projector could also be made into a devastating weapon. Many enemies of the Kree have tried to obtain one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MCU Bifrost was, no doubt, powered by "dark magic", as Heimdall alluded to. And it would seem that Stormbreaker taps into it as well. And maybe that comes from the Dark Dimension, where plenty of Plot Device powers originated in the comics as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. They are separate (dark magic & Bifrost). Eg. In first Avengers film, the Bifrost was broken & Odin used dark magic to send Thor to Earth (at significant cost). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seemed obvious to me at the time that Thor arrived on Earth in IW via the Bifrost, which is fine since comics Thor had always been able to do that by spinning his hammer.  I believe in the early days he could even transport others from afar, if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thor said the Bi-Frost was a version of an Einstein-Rosen Bridge in his Technology and Magic are one and the same to us description to Jane in the first Thor movie. I think the implication now is that Stormbreaker has the ability to open said transport itself, using the power, apparently, of the sun that Thor had to focus on it during forging. Prior to that, they needed the technology in the bridge/dome that Heimdall guarded. Loki knew other ways in and out of Asgaard that used magic, but not necessarily dark-magic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bazza said:

No. They are separate (dark magic & Bifrost). Eg. In first Avengers film, the Bifrost was broken & Odin used dark magic to send Thor to Earth (at significant cost). 

 

Loki called what Odin used to send Thor to Earth after the Bifrost was broken, "dark energy," not magic. Another physics concept.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the Kree have weapons that can crack the planet open like an egg, so why don't they? Earth is certainly annoying enough. And if there are all these powerful entities seeking to destroy the Earth, eventually one of them is bound to succeed.

 

It's like the Coyote problem. The Roadrunner can beat the Coyote time and again, but the Coyote need only win once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may be a question of who the Kree would irritate most if they destroyed Earth. The aforementioned Thor and Odin come immediately to mind, although Zeus and Hercules and their lot certainly seem to have a vested interest in the place as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

It looks like the Kree have weapons that can crack the planet open like an egg, so why don't they? Earth is certainly annoying enough. And if there are all these powerful entities seeking to destroy the Earth, eventually one of them is bound to succeed.

 

It's like the Coyote problem. The Roadrunner can beat the Coyote time and again, but the Coyote need only win once.

 

The Kree have been aware of Earth for a long time and have been here before.

 

If you link AoS to the MCU, then the Kree have a lot invested in Earth and don't want to destroy us. They want to harvest /recruit our Inhuman population(that they created and lost to rebellion) to give themselves an army of metas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

It looks like the Kree have weapons that can crack the planet open like an egg, so why don't they? Earth is certainly annoying enough. And if there are all these powerful entities seeking to destroy the Earth, eventually one of them is bound to succeed.

 

It's like the Coyote problem. The Roadrunner can beat the Coyote time and again, but the Coyote need only win once.

So, paint a mural at the edge of the solar system showing nothing here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Starlord said:

Additionally, Thanos would be no match for Bugs Bunny.

 

I know it's not Marvel, but there is, in fact, a comic series where the DC universe and that of the Warner Brothers cartoons (which are both owned by the same conglomerate) intersect. Now admittedly Elmer Fudd on a mission to kill Batman is odd...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...