Captain Marvel with spoilers

Bazza

14 hours ago, Bazza said:

IiRC Heimdell sent Hulk to Earth with Asguardian dark magic, not the Bifrost. 

It still looked pretty much like the Bifrost.

Maybe the hammer and that "Shrine to Nipples" (as it was called) allow you to get the effect without needing dark magic/energy. They are ways to buy off the Complication, "Side Effet (will seriously wreck your body)"

16 hours ago, Pariah said:

It may be a question of who the Kree would irritate most if they destroyed Earth. The aforementioned Thor and Odin come immediately to mind, although Zeus and Hercules and their lot certainly seem to have a vested interest in the place as well.

IIRC, this is almost the plot for the original crisis, that the major races of the universe realized that this small low tech planet had an inordinate amount of super powered beings. I mean, currently the GLC have 5 living humans in their ranks. Not sure there are more then 2 of any other.

On 3/9/2019 at 9:20 AM, Starlord said:

It was decent.  A slightly below average Marvel movie.  My only real issue is that Larson seems to have no charisma as a 'superhero.  I never really cared about what happened with her.  In fact, I was most invested in Talks the skrull.  Captain Marvel seemed to just be 'along for the ride' in her own movie.  Everything else was pretty good though.

This.  But here's the thing--I'm not sure if Larson had no charisma, or Captain Marvel had no charisma.  We all know what personalities Cap, Spidey, and IM are supposed to have from the comics.  I'm not sure what CM's personality is supposed to be.  The human female I saw the film with was impressed by her "quiet badass attitude", and I suppose that if CM's personality is supposed to be something like Clint Eastwood, maybe that's okay.

I felt that the film took itself a little too seriously.  Even the most serious MCU films seemed like they had more humor, but CM just wasn't funny.

On 3/12/2019 at 5:42 AM, Starlord said:

So now that a good portion of folks have seen it, who is everyone's fav female Marvel character?

1.  Black Widow

2.  Scarlet Witch

3.  Mantis

4.  Okoye

5.  Valkyrie

1. Aunt May
  2. BW
  3. Valkyrie
  4. Domino*
  5. Gamora
  6. Shuri
  7. Okoye
  8. Hela
  9. Hope Van Dyne
  10. Scarlet Witch
  11. Pepper Potts
  12. Mantis
  13. That Orange Chick Who Grabs The Infinity Stone In GotG And Blows Up

17 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

It looks like the Kree have weapons that can crack the planet open like an egg, so why don't they? Earth is certainly annoying enough. And if there are all these powerful entities seeking to destroy the Earth, eventually one of them is bound to succeed.

It's like the Coyote problem. The Roadrunner can beat the Coyote time and again, but the Coyote need only win once.

My suspicion is it's something like what we see on real Earth between nations possessing weapons of mass destruction. No one is willing to be the first to use them in battle, for fear others will retaliate in kind. QED, MAD.

It's interesting that in the Elder Edda it states that Thor is not allowed to use the Bifrost Bridge because he is too rough and may break it. So has to go the long way round.

In Marvel terms I always imagine the long way round being use of the world tree. Whatever that might look like ;)

On March 12, 2019 at 11:42 AM, Starlord said:

So now that a good portion of folks have seen it, who is everyone's fav female Marvel character?

1.  Black Widow

2.  Scarlet Witch

3.  Mantis

4.  Okoye

5.  Valkyrie

May Parker (Peter's daughter)

May Parker (Peter's Aunt)

She Hulk

Moria McTaggert

The rest of them are pretty much the same uninteresting person.

I was going to comment earlier in reply to the "this movie is better than Wonder Woman" comment, but I guess it's still valid here:

The primary difference between the Wonder Woman movie and Captain Marvel is that  Wonder Woman was about an interesting character.

But hey---

these are just the opinions of a potentially-lunatic total stranger; ignore them as you will.

Carry on!  :D

Duke

13 hours ago, Christopher said:

It still looked pretty much like the Bifrost.

Maybe the hammer and that "Shrine to Nipples" (as it was called) allow you to get the effect without needing dark magic/energy. They are ways to buy off the Complication, "Side Effet (will seriously wreck your body)"

Refer to update posted yesterday. 

The primary difference between the Wonder Woman movie and Captain Marvel is that one incorporates an archetypical myth and the other is an Hollywood action film set in WW1. 

The mythology in Captain Marvel is the goddess who falls to earth, with amnesia. For a twist, this goddess has forgotten her Earth heritage, not her celestial heritage. Through a journey of self discovery with Fury acting as the role of wise companion (Ben Kenobi/Han Solo, etc) which leads to this divine feminine goddess embracing her humanity, her identity, her power, and turns on the technological God society who used her. As an added bonus She acts as a motherly figure to find her new charges, the Skrulls, a home. 

None of which serves to make the character interesting.  She did things that may well have been interesting, but the character herself just wasn't interesting.  Not faulting the actress, either: that "uninteresting character" plays pretty square with my memories of the comic book character, too.

Uninteresting enough to go from a man, to a woman, to draining those powers from said woman and giving them to another uninteresting character with an accent, to giving the name to a different character with different powers who was uninteresting enough to remain published for only a few months...

I don't know.  Marvel just never really hit a sweet spot (at least not for me) with that character.  I always felt they should have done the decent thing and given the name back to the company who owned the guy to whom it properly belonged.

My favourite run of Captain Marvel in recent years was the stretch were she and Peter Parker were dating. It was a strange dynamic but at the same time you could totally see it.

As I was annoyed by the whole MJ marriage thing, they did a good job making me like this pairing. 

I wonder whether MCU Careol Danvers shares her print coiunterpart's rank.  As she was a Major, she outranks Captain America - they made an entertaining scene of that in dealing with the sexist Absorbing Man a few years back.  Almost felt like I was reading a scenario with Hero's Bulldozer.

My problem--and it is a relatively minor one, to be fair--with the personality of Carol Danvers is that she spends the entire movie being so annoyingly smug. That's different, in my view, from being supremely confident or competent or "badass". Smugness is being way too satisfied and impressed with oneself, and it is a bit off-putting if you ask me. But other than that, I had no problem with her character. I certainly had no problem with her actually being supremely confident, competent, or "badass". I just didn't care for her being so bloody smug about it the whole time. It detracted somewhat from her likability, which is a shame, because I really want to like the character as much as I liked Wonder Woman.