Rules question

Dreamthief

I posted this in another forum but I made a couple of errors in my explanation and wanted to get the players view as well. 

I am thinking about coming back to the Hero system and have a question. I know that OCV and DCV are used for pretty much everything. Characteristics like DEX and PRE can affect certain skills but for the most part OCV and DCV are king. With that said are most rolls basically one of those two characteristics combined with points, gained through skills, and basic modifiers? For example someone with 6 OCV and no modifiers would be able to hit any DCV below 17. If the defender however had an appropriate counter such as skill points in a melee attack vs a melee attack they could use those to lower that 17 to whatever number of points they had to spend? Also are all combat modifiers relating directly to characters themselves (excluding environmental modifiers) tied to combat skills.

A lot is going to depend upon the style of game you intend to run. 

If combat is going to be the centerpiece, then OCV, DCV, PD (and rPD), ED (and rED), CSLs, PSLs, martial arts/maneuvers, Combat Luck, STR, DEX, END, STUN, and BOD are all going to be major elements for you to pay attention to.  If mental powers are going to be common, you can add MOCV, MDCV, and Mental Defense to the list.  SPD is always something to pay attention to.

If your game is going to be more role-playing centric with heavy intrigue and espionage, then various skills (mostly based upon PRE and INT) will start coming into play.

As someone who has tried a couple of times (unsuccessfully) to run some homebrew campaigns, the key things to figure out is IF and at what level you want to limit each of these elements singly and in combination.  For example, is have +10 OCV from 2-point CLS going to be acceptable in your campaign, or should there be a more than 1:216 (3 on 3d6) chance of a character missing on any given attack?  Figuring out what things combine and in what ways is going to be important to maintaining a game that is fun for the players and doesn't create a ton of work for the GM to come up with ANYTHING that will challenge the PCs.  From my experience, pay attention to OCV, DCV, CSLs (for both OCV and DCV), as well as any martial maneuvers a character has.  I've found that the combination of OCV and/or DCV with CSLs for a character were fine, but when martial maneuvers were thrown in, it became significantly harder to challenge that character (player).

3 hours ago, Dreamthief said:

I know that OCV and DCV are used for pretty much everything.

I have no real idea what you mean with that.

Both CV are indeed very important for Combat. I mean that word is literally in their name :)

But even there, they do not Reign supreme.

SPD and your Ability to abort is relevant.

Defenses and thus the unessesarity of aborting is relevant.

High DCV implies usually low defenses, wich means you can hit them with a Area of Effect attack.

But they do not mater for any skill I know off. And skills can have quite an effect on how combat is resolved as well.

2 hours ago, Pegasus40218 said:

If your game is going to be more role-playing centric with heavy intrigue and espionage, then various skills (mostly based upon PRE and INT) will start coming into play. 

This can even go so far that the cost structure (should) change. The prices in the rules are only for average campaigns.

My favourite example for this is a theoretical Underwater Campaign:

Underwater, swimming is like Flight. Meanwhile in a Underwater Campaign, flight would only be as usefull as swimming is in the average Landlubber Campaign. So the prices for both Movement Powers might fully swap.

20 hours ago, Dreamthief said:

I posted this in another forum but I made a couple of errors in my explanation and wanted to get the players view as well. 

I am thinking about coming back to the Hero system and have a question. I know that OCV and DCV are used for pretty much everything. Characteristics like DEX and PRE can affect certain skills but for the most part OCV and DCV are king. With that said are most rolls basically one of those two characteristics combined with points, gained through skills, and basic modifiers? For example someone with 6 OCV and no modifiers would be able to hit any DCV below 17. If the defender however had an appropriate counter such as skill points in a melee attack vs a melee attack they could use those to lower that 17 to whatever number of points they had to spend? Also are all combat modifiers relating directly to characters themselves (excluding environmental modifiers) tied to combat skills.

Your example forgets, that unless they buy it down, have growth or attacking an adjacent helpless target , you need to subtract 3 for the defenders DCV.