2019-2020 NFL Thread

Old Man

20 hours ago, Cancer said:

I also think that collectively the NFL has forgotten how to cover tight ends.  The coverage patterns contructed to handle deep threats seem built on the premise that the TE is unimportant, which means that failure mode is built into most defensive schemes.

Playing too much Madden, I guess.  (last time I played Madden, my defensive players were dead set on playing prevent defense on any and all TEs.  I think I had to play my safeties on the line of scrimmage to "force" them to do otherwise)

17 hours ago, Old Man said:

In playoffs: Seattle, SF, New Orleans, Buffalo(!), Green Bay, Cheaters, Baltimore, KC.

Probably in playoffs: Minnesota, Houston, Dallas.

Only Mostly Dead: Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis (for one more night), Tennessee.

I imagine next week (90%) solves the NFC East equation.

On 12/16/2019 at 6:48 AM, Logan.1179 said:

It was a sad ending for the Raiders. Even as a Jags fan I felt bad for them. 

Not bad enough to give up the victory... 

The whole thing is sad. Oakland loved the Raiders, and the Raiders never loved them back. Now the team goes to the glamour of Las Vegas and the faithful are left with bad memories and an unsanitary eyesore of a stadium overdue for the imploder.

18 hours ago, Old Man said:

I really like Tusken Raiders, but what would actually happen is the NFL bribes local officials to change the name of Oklahoma City to Oakland and raise taxes to build a $1B stadium.

Disney purchased a Hockey team, why not a Football franchise? They can write down the expense as "marketing" for the new "Skywokeness" movie...;)

Tom Coughlin has been fired in Jacksonville after the NFLPA released a damning report on the culture of the Jaguars. His management style was so toxic that the union actually sent out a warning to players saying "if you sign for the Jags, this is what you have to look forward to". Among other things, it came out that almost 25% of the grievances filed by the union this season have been against the Jaguars, and many of the grievances were upheld.

One of the problems was that Coughlin was fine-happy. He tried to micromanage players' time to absurd degrees and fined players for being only a few minutes late to meetings. Heck, even NFL players with big paychecks get stuck in traffic every so often!

Apparently new owner Shad Khan (no, not Jungle Book and Talespin character Shere Khan) has been planning to fire him at the end of the season, but the union report forced his hand.

10 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Tom Coughlin has been fired in Jacksonville after the NFLPA released a damning report on the culture of the Jaguars. His management style was so toxic that the union actually sent out a warning to players saying "if you sign for the Jags, this is what you have to look forward to". Among other things, it came out that almost 25% of the grievances filed by the union this season have been against the Jaguars, and many of the grievances were upheld.

One of the problems was that Coughlin was fine-happy. He tried to micromanage players' time to absurd degrees and fined players for being only a few minutes late to meetings. Heck, even NFL players with big paychecks get stuck in traffic every so often!

Apparently new owner Shad Khan (no, not Jungle Book and Talespin character Shere Khan) has been planning to fire him at the end of the season, but the union report forced his hand.

Coughlin is a "victim" of being 15 years behind the times.

11 hours ago, Starlord said:

Apparently, he also fined Dante Fowler a whopping $700,000 for missing 'mandatory' off-season treatment which wasn't actually mandatory.

"Here's your game check."

"But this is from my bank account."

"Yes. Make it out to the Jacksonville Jaguars Football Club."

"You mean I'm busting my *** trying to tackle Lamar Jackson for sixty minutes, getting my body covered in bruises and risking my safety for the rest of my life, and paying you for the privilege?"

"You were fifteen seconds early for film study last week."

"WHAT?"

"You were supposed to be five minutes early..."

12 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

"Here's your game check."

"But this is from my bank account."

"Yes. Make it out to the Jacksonville Jaguars Football Club."

"You mean I'm busting my *** trying to tackle Lamar Jackson for sixty minutes, getting my body covered in bruises and risking my safety for the rest of my life, and paying you for the privilege?"

"You were fifteen seconds early for film study last week."

"WHAT?"

"You were supposed to be five minutes early..."

That always annoyed the crap out of me with coaches when I was a kid, be here at 1 PM meant be here at 12:53 PM.  Say what you mean.  

Course, in baseball practice I could get my arm loose pretty quickly (one thing that made me perfect for being a relief pitcher).  So being early actually worked against me physically.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:37 PM, Pariah said:

First personnel move before relocating the team to London?

14 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Sadly, sounds about right.

I think the English are quite satisfied with their own football, thank you very much. And American players have never really been happy with the disruptions to their schedules and routines involved in flying across the Atlantic for a game. Imagine doing that nine times a year plus whatever preseason and postseason games they need to have. In addition, every single person involved in the entire operation would need to get a visa and a Work Permit from the United Kingdom, and that includes a fairly intrusive background check.

42 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I think the English are quite satisfied with their own football, thank you very much.

As I understand it American football has become quite popular at Wembley and Tottenham.

42 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

And American players have never really been happy with the disruptions to their schedules and routines involved in flying across the Atlantic for a game. Imagine doing that nine times a year plus whatever preseason and postseason games they need to have. In addition, every single person involved in the entire operation would need to get a visa and a Work Permit from the United Kingdom, and that includes a fairly intrusive background check.

As if the NFL gave a damn whether the players are happy.  ;) 

57 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I think the English are quite satisfied with their own football, thank you very much. And American players have never really been happy with the disruptions to their schedules and routines involved in flying across the Atlantic for a game. Imagine doing that nine times a year plus whatever preseason and postseason games they need to have. In addition, every single person involved in the entire operation would need to get a visa and a Work Permit from the United Kingdom, and that includes a fairly intrusive background check.

Jaguars?...….Postseason?  🤣

Edit: Well, every team has a fluke season every decade or so, except the Browns.