2019-2020 NFL Thread

Old Man

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Look, I know this could never happen with the NFL's marketing plan, but I think it would be splendid if the team currently playing in Oakland could be known next year as the Sin City Raiders.

Oh, yeah, they should totally lean into the gambling-biker-strip club motif.  If they're going to move, they should own it.

Ironically, the Sin City Raiders have not yet been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, though I don't know what stars have to align for them to beat out the Steelers and Titans for the last WC slot.

Edit: So I looked it up.

1. The Raiders must beat the Broncos.
  2. The Titans must lose to the Texans.
  3. The Steelers must lose to the Ravens (who will be resting their starters).
  4. The Jaguars must lose to the Colts.   (I have no idea why this is relevant.)
  5. At least one of the Patriots, Lions, Chargers, or Bears must win.

There's still a chance.

The Ravens have to reason to really care who the #6 seed is. Given the nature of Lamar Jackson's game, holding him out for Week #17 is a wise move not just for them but for the league. You want to see your marquee players on the biggest stages, and while it is far too early to anoint Jackson as a generational star it's easy to see him as a sort of type for the quarterbacks to come.

The NFL really doesn't have a choice. The "pro-style" quarterback is nearly extinct in college football. You're just not going to find the guys who are comfortable staying in the pocket that extra second while it collapses, because college football is not producing them anymore. And that is posing problems for coordinators who have to find new ways to design offenses in which these new quarterbacks can thrive.

14 hours ago, Starlord said:

...and OL are apparently not taught to pass block anymore.

Different types of passes are in play here. RPO's and 3 step drops don't take the same as 5 and 7 step drops.

24 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Those things will change if and when top caliber OL guys get paid on par with edge rushers.

They are.

On 12/26/2019 at 7:56 PM, Cancer said:

Those things will change if and when top caliber OL guys get paid on par with edge rushers.

I just know if I am building an offense, I put me together a bulldozer OL, THEN I look for the franchise QB.  It baffles me how these teams pick up that QB at #1 in the draft, and then goes "Yep, that's all we need to do on offense".   Then you end up with the Andrew Luck scenario.  And team management says "Wha happened?"