2019-2020 NFL Thread

Old Man

10 hours ago, Old Man said:

Black Monday has commenced two days early, with Doug Marrone in Jacksonville and (almost certainly) Freddie Kitchens in Cleveland. 

Doug Marrone makes sense. What I can't figure out is Freddie Kitchens. Specifically, why is Freddie Kitchens the head coach in the first place? Gregg Williams had that team playing like an actual NFL franchise the last half of last season. Why not keep him as the head coach?

The answer, of course, is fairly clear: because Cleveland.

The Giants have fired their head coach, and Washington (who already ditched their coach earlier in the year) has fired their President. (sadly, that's just Washington's football team. Don't get your hopes up.)

Freddie Kitchens was already fired in Cleveland (the general consensus is that he would have been OK with a few more years of seasoning in the assistant ranks, but was promoted a few years too soon).

The fate of Dallas head coach Jason Garrett is still unknown. It's possible that three of the four NFC East teams will have new coaches in 2020 (Washington has yet to make a permanent hire).

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

The problems in Washington go deeper than either the head coach or the president. Of course, it's not possible to fire the owner.

Yeah, I did mention to my dad yesterday (who had been a Washington fan since circa-Allen days).  That with Snyder around, my dad probably has no chance of seeing them good again in his lifetime.  

well, regardless of the why.  I wouldn't be underestimating them, they get you where they want you.

Seems a lot of people are saying Titan victory.  If you aren't picking Patriots as favorites at least through, you might be deluding yourself.  (especially considering they have seen Tannehill twice a year for ages)

On paper, yeah, Chiefs and Ravens should be the AFC favorites.

I guess a big question for the Patriots would be does Brady retire after this.  I think with a good off-season worth of rest he could probably gut through just one more season.  But, really why though.  Probably the end of the Mannings too.  Though, I do think if the Giants had dumped Eli, and he went to Chicago, he could have probably done enough in comparison to Trubisky weird season, that with their defense, they could have won at least a couple more games.

Note: Kind of been mixed on the Eli hate the last several years.  He wasn't that good, sure.  But, they were wanting him to score 30-35 points every game.  So, the defense should bear some of that misery.  (at least every Giant game I caught part of the last couple of years, they have been playing with zero DBs, just 4-6 random people in Giants uniforms wandering around aimlessly back there)

You don't win two Super Bowls if you're a bad quarterback. One, perhaps, if you have the right team around you, but not two. What Eli is good at, even though he is an average passer, is managing the game. In his prime, he didn't make the costly mistakes another quarterback would have. He was well-schooled and disciplined, qualities which carried him well even though Peyton had the stronger arm.

Eli had two good post season runs.  He was an above average QB only during his prime whose career numbers are inflated compared to older QBs thanks to modern passing offense and present QB protections.  He is ABSOLUTELY NOT a hall of famer, but unfortunately, he will make it in thanks to a QB favored voting process, artificially inflated numbers (see above) and sheer goodwill.

On 12/28/2019 at 8:29 PM, Pariah said:

Doug Marrone makes sense. What I can't figure out is Freddie Kitchens. Specifically, why is Freddie Kitchens the head coach in the first place? Gregg Williams had that team playing like an actual NFL franchise the last half of last season. Why not keep him as the head coach?

The answer, of course, is fairly clear: because Cleveland.

Yeah, I think they REALLY wanted to make Baker feel wanted by going with his favorite guy...