2019-2020 NFL Thread

Old Man

If your contract expires and you are told you get to walk away, are you being fired?

Jason Garrett's contract has expired in Dallas. He's been there for a decade, and gotten average results form a roster that is, on paper, by far the most talented in the NFC East. The media has insisted he would be fired for the last four years, and can;t stop talking about it.

There's a chance he will simply choose to walk away from the Cowboys with his head held high. With his regular season record, he probably can. It's the playoffs that have been his bugaboo, as well as his team's play within the division. Dallas got 8 wins, but perhaps they should have gotten 10 to 11 with their talent level.

45 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Eli Manning didn't have the physical skills that Payton had, but he did beat the Patriots twice in the Super Bowl, and that's not nothing.

I'm thinking the Giants defensive line had more to do with that.  I mean Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl too....

8 hours ago, Starlord said:

Eli had two good post season runs.  He was an above average QB only during his prime whose career numbers are inflated compared to older QBs thanks to modern passing offense and present QB protections.  He is ABSOLUTELY NOT a hall of famer, but unfortunately, he will make it in thanks to a QB favored voting process, artificially inflated numbers (see above) and sheer goodwill.

Yeah, I  probably wouldn't exactly put him in either. I do think 2 super bowls and a long productive career makes him worthy of serious consideration,  but ultimately not everything.

But, yeah QB rating is definitely better today, because of short, high percentage passing schemes, neutering DBs rights to play defense, making Interceptions harder to come by, and Goaline situations going from near-automatic run situations to near-automatic passing situations, bloating Passing TD rates.

I'd suggest the Ravens.

A CBS Sports article I read suggested the Patriots were finished -- not juts for this season. There will now be endless speculation on whether Tom Brady will retire, what Bill Belichek's future is life, and whether it's time to blow up the Pats and rebuild. But I sincerely doubt an of these things are likely to happen unless Tom Brady's doctors know something we don't.

Well, their personnel has been aging away, and they haven't brought in enough fresh meat.  Merely one aspect of the situation: many quality receivers do they have now?

I'm frankly astonished that Seattle made the playoffs, let alone got within a yard of a first-round bye.  Entirely new secondary assembled during the season?  A receiving corps of Lockett and a bunch of kids and castoffs?  And the OL is a shambles?  yeesh.  I can easily see them losing tomorrow, since some of the key additions are still hurt.

I would not count New England out of anything, unless they have forgotten how to round up talent during the off season.  Make no mistake... I too would like to see NE go through a seven-year drought... but I would not yet say that drought has started.

On 12/31/2019 at 3:34 PM, Pariah said:

Eli Manning didn't have the physical skills that Payton had, but he did beat the Patriots twice in the Super Bowl, and that's not nothing.

Yeah, me and my dad talked about the Mannings last time I saw him the other day.  Eli was never going to have the same type of career because he was quite as physically gifted. Still very good for a time is better than most QBs.  

On 1/4/2020 at 11:39 PM, Pariah said:

The Patriots are out? Are you freakin' kidding me?

Who am I going to cheer against now?

Part of me, was actually kind of cheering for the Patriots, because of the way the media has dogged Brady of late.  (you know it couldn't possibly be, because he only has 2 guys who can catch a ball-Edelman/White).  Still think Brady could eek out one more year, if they find a good 3rd option (probably 2 more, and one really needs to be a TE).

COurse, if Brown and Gordon, didn't Brown and Gordon, who knows (but who didn't see that coming)

Note: I did actually say to myself with the Brown signing, he'd self-destruct by Week 6,  I apologize for my underestimation.

Edit: and even if I was pulling (nominally) for the Patriots that doesn't mean I wept over it.  And doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see an outright buzzsaw bifurcation of their team by Chiefs/Ravens, soon after.  If Brady doesn't come back, it would be ironic that his final pass was the Pick 6.

The NFC side (the remaining teams) have all got Superbowl experience. The AFC side not so much which is a good thing. It is easy to loathe Denver, Pittsburgh and New England for example for their multiple appearances but not the Ravens, Titans or Texans. It is a refreshing change.

I want the Vikings to win though. If the jinx over Boston and Chicago can be broken in baseball why not the Viking's Superbowl losing streak