2019-2020 NFL Thread

Old Man

14 hours ago, Pariah said:

A couple good points, notably 'no opt out for 10 years', otherwise...WOW, these lawyers DO NOT understand the framework of the players side.

- You cannot give ultimatums when YOU HAVE NO SOLIDARITY, Reid's response and dozens of other twitter responses from 'richer players' are easy proof of this.  This deal didn't just get put together in the last couple weeks, it has been negotiated for nearly a year.  Yet now, the 'rich players' are complaining PUBLICLY, while the owners sit back and wait silently.

-  There are nearly 2,500 players that get to vote on this thing.  The VAST majority of these players play less than 4 years and their viewpoint is basically, "Cool, 1-4 year cash grab!" before they have to go out in the world and get a real job.  As I understand it, among other benefits for lower roster guys, the deal gives each of those guys a $100,000 pay raise going from 500 grand to 600 grand.  For the 20% of guys who will play several years and make millions this deal could definitely be better, but for the rest of the guys it seems pretty darn good.

The sticking point I see is the demand for a 17th game.

The owners are offering a small 0.5% raise in revenue distribution while demanding a 6.25% increase in work. In addition they want another playoff game(or 2) which are not paid at game check rates and  want to exempt some forms of revenue from the revenue sharing.

The players do need to come together though. Unless they get as unified as the NBA and agree to rein in their highest salaries to distribute more to the rank and file, the owners will always be able to wait them out.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

That's certainly reasonable. I mean, Peyton Manning was the de facto offensive coordinator for his four years in Denver.

Be careful what you ask for; you might get it, as Peyton did in SB48.

As opposed to the immortal Otto Graham, whom Paul Brown never let call plays.

I guess, it seems to be limited to the #1 WR, thankfully.   

Though, it does seem at times, their real purpose is attract attention with their ego.  So, the huge TE and/or the little guy can do the actual work without notice.  (ok I like watching big TEs steamroll little DBs)

11 hours ago, Grailknight said:

They have the most individual role in the game and make their plays more in isolated 1 on 1 matchups in often spectacular fashion.

Also while being a critical part of the team, they are often the smallest..."Do you even lift Bro?" :)