Jump to content
Chris Goodwin

Danger International: Global Task Force Omega vs. the World Terror Front

Recommended Posts

I'm going to run a game of third-edition Danger International at GameStorm this year.  I'm using this thread for character notes, ideas, my thoughts while designing the game, and so on.  Suggestions and advice are helpful!  

 

Note that my Low Heroic Protocols (see link in my signature) are in effect here.  This is essentially a default condition for Danger International, as there are no Powers!  

 

I'm going to try something with character creation.  I'm putting together something like the Champions Character Creation Cards, for Danger International.  I'm going to make up a set of note cards with the skill and stat blocks on them; for ease of use I'm going to do my best to get everything to a cost multiple of 5 points, then on the card I'm going to mark down that cost divided by 5, to make it easier for new folks.  Choose a character sheet, choose a personal skill block, choose an MOS, make sure your total adds up to (x).  I'm thinking 25, for a 125 total point game.  

 

The stat blocks are: 

 

STR 13  DEX 14  CON 13  BODY 11  INT 13  EGO 11  PRE 13   COM 10
PD 5  ED 3  SPD 3  REC 6  END 26  STUN 26    Total cost: 40 / 5 = 8

 

STR 13  DEX 15  CON 16  BODY 11  INT 13  EGO 11  PRE 15  COM 10
PD 5  ED 3  SPD 3  REC 6  END 32  STUN 27    Total cost: 50 / 5 = 10

 

STR 13  DEX 17  CON 13  BODY 10  INT 13  EGO 13  PRE 13  COM 12 
PD 5  ED 3  SPD 3  REC 6  END 26  STUN 26    Total cost: 50 / 5 = 10

 

STR 18  DEX 11  CON 15  BODY 13  INT 10  EGO 13  PRE 15  COM 10
PD 6  ED 4  SPD 3  REC 7  END 30  STUN 30      Total cost: 50 / 5 = 10

 

STR 10  DEX 18  CON 15  BODY 11  INT 13  EGO 11  PRE 15  COM 10
PD 4  ED 3  SPD 3  REC 5  END 30  STUN 24  Total cost: 50 / 5 = 10

 

STR 13 DEX 14  CON 18  BODY 15  INT 10  EGO 11    PRE 18  COM 14
PD  4  ED 4  SPD 3  REC 7   END 36  STUN 31   Total cost: 60 / 5 = 12
 

Everyone gets the Military Package:

2    WF: Small Arms
1    WF: Light Machine Guns
1    WF: Handheld Grenade Launchers
3    Breakfall
3    Climbing
3    Concealment
1    Paramedic 8-
1    Stealth 8-
5    Survival 12-
1    KS: Enemy Forces 8-
2    KS: Parachuting 11-
2    KS: Military Procedure 11-
5    +1 with Ranged Combat

Total Cost:  30 / 5 = 6

 

Everyone also gets the Personal Skills Package:

Personal:
5    Additional Skill +1
3    One of:  Brawling or Additional Skill
2    PS: _____ (hobby) 11-
2    KS: _____ (interest) 11-
1    One of:  Language (1 point) or Weapon Familiarity

2    Something (edited to add)

Total Cost:  15 / 5 = 3

 

MOS's: 

Everyone gets at least one MOS.  Designate one MOS as your primary MOS: 

 

Primary MOS  (edited to add)
5    +1 with Primary MOS Skills

Total Cost: 5 / 5 = 1
 

Choose one or two MOS's from below.

 

Armourer/Mechanic
5    Electronics 12-
5    Gunsmith 12-
7    Mechanic 13-
3    +1 with Crafting Skills

Total Cost:  20 / 5 = 4

 

Comms and/or Hacking
5    Bugging +1
3    Computer Programming
7    Electronics 13-
5    Security Systems +1
2    KS: Radio Communications 11-
3    +1 with Electronics & Security Skills

Total Cost:  25 / 5 = 5

 

Demolitions expert
7    Demolitions 13-
1    Electronics 8-
1    Lockpicking 8-
1    Mechanic 8-
10    +1 Overall Level

Total Cost:  20 / 5 = 4

 

Driver
1    Area Knowledge (area of operations) 8-
6    Driving (standard passenger vehicles, military nontracked vehicles) +1
3    Navigation 12-
3    Pilot (one of: small fixed wing, large fixed wing, rotary)
1    Mechanic 8-
1    PS: Loadmaster 8-

Total Cost:  15 / 5 = 3

 

Heavy Weapons expert
1    WF: Rocket Launchers
1    WF: Mortars
1    WF: Heavy Machine Guns
3    +1 with one of the above
3    Gunsmith 11-
1    One of:  +1 PD, +2 END, +1 STUN

Total Cost:  10 / 5 = 2

 

Interpersonal Skills Expert
3    Interrogation
3    Persuasion
3    Seduction
3    Streetwise
3    +3 PRE
3    +1 with Interaction Skills
2    Language (2 points)

Total Cost:  20 / 5 = 4

 

Intel Expert

3    Linguist
3    Scholar

1    KS: Intelligence Analysis 11-

2    Two additional KS's at 11-
5    Languages
3    +3 INT
5    Speed Reading
3    +1 to Perception 

Total Cost:  25 / 5 = 5

 

Knives (throwing + HTH)
10    Martial Art Form
1    WF: Knives
1    WF: Thrown Knives
8    +1 with All Combat

Total Cost:  20 / 5 = 4

 

Martial Arts expert
10    Martial Art Form
3    +1 with Martial Art Form
6 (9)    +3 DEX 
4    Kiai +2d6
1    Language (1 point)

Total Cost:  25 / 5 = 5

 

Medic
4    Paramedic +1
2    KS: Anatomy & Physiology 11-
3    KS: Emergency Medical Protocols 12-
3    PS: Diagnosis 12-
2 (3)    +1 DEX
6    +3 EGO

Total Cost:  20 / 5 = 4

 

Navy SEAL (edited)
11    Commando Training

3    Demolitions 11-

6    +3" Swimming
3    KS: Scuba
6    +3 CON (adjust figured)
1    One of: +1 PD, +2 END, +1 STUN

Total Cost:  30 / 5 = 6


Stealth expert
2    Concealment +1
6    Stealth +1
2    WF: Bows/Crossbows
2    +1" Running    
3    +1 with Bows/Crossbows

Total Cost:  15 / 5 = 3

 

Finally, one or more of the following non-MOS's:

 

Hand-to-hand Combat Expert
5    +1 with Hand-to-hand Combat

Total Cost:  5 / 5 = 1

 

Lucky
5    1d6 Luck

Total Cost:  5 / 5 = 1

 

Runner
2    +1" Running
2    +1 REC
6    Skill Levels: +2 with Running

Total Cost:  10 / 5 = 2

 

Weapons Expert
5    +1 with ranged combat

Total Cost:  5 / 5 = 1

 

Tough  (edited to add)
2    +2 PD
1    +1 ED
1    +1 REC
1    +1 STUN

Total Cost: 5 / 5 = 1
 

Fast (edited to add)

10    +1 SPD

Total Cost: 10 / 5 = 2

 

Disadvantages will be coming soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strictly speaking, Movement Skill Levels aren't part of Danger International.  Here, they can be used thusly: 

  • Each level can be used for +1 to Turn Mode (if applicable)
  • Each level can be used for +1 to DEX Rolls made while moving, including to keep control in case of poor conditions (bad footing, etc.)
  • Each level can be used for +1" of additional acceleration.  
  • Two levels can be used to provide +1" of movement for one Phase, at an additional cost of 1 END per Skill Level used
  • Each level can be used to reduce the character's END usage for movement; treat the character as if they were moving 1" less per Phase for every level used
  • Each level can be used for +1 DCV vs. any attacks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

    I may be a bit dense, but where does characterization come in when you run something like this.  When the player gets that handed out sheet, is there a personality to go with it?  

    You may have a group that cover most of the skill sets but without knowing who this person is supposed to be all you get is a table of interchangeable cyphers.

   Any of the IMF teams,  Sgt. Fury & the Howling Commandos, the A-Team, Hogan’s Heroes, the crew of Serenity...all of these groups have members whose singular character traits can give a player a handle on role playing that person in particular.

  Do you have character concepts for each of the write ups or are you handing out the sheets and giving the players a few minutes to come up with someone who fits the write up?  Either one can work wonderfully.

   I’m sorry if I’ve overstepped my bounds here, but I often find that some GM’s fall so in love with the rules and balancing of points they forget that this isn’t just a series of equations, but a role that someone is supposed to be acting out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tjack said:

    I may be a bit dense, but where does characterization come in when you run something like this.  When the player gets that handed out sheet, is there a personality to go with it?  

    You may have a group that cover most of the skill sets but without knowing who this person is supposed to be all you get is a table of interchangeable cyphers.

   Any of the IMF teams,  Sgt. Fury & the Howling Commandos, the A-Team, Hogan’s Heroes, the crew of Serenity...all of these groups have members whose singular character traits can give a player a handle on role playing that person in particular.

 

Well, it's a convention game, so.  

 

3 minutes ago, Tjack said:

Do you have character concepts for each of the write ups or are you handing out the sheets and giving the players a few minutes to come up with someone who fits the write up?

 

Ideally, this.  I may use these to pre-gen the characters anyway, as I can tweak them better if I do that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing is, if I were fully following the DI rules, each of these would have their own Disadvantages, including Package Bonuses, associated with them, thus reducing their net costs.  Probably worth taking another run at them, at least.  Probably also worth expanding the options -- the basic package sort of resembles Army basic training, but there are other options there as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been so long since I ever read Package Deal rules, and I never used them back in the day because they made no sense... pay for the skills you have... why are some discounted and others not.

I just don't understand the whole "Divide by 5" thing that is going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

It has been so long since I ever read Package Deal rules, and I never used them back in the day because they made no sense... pay for the skills you have... why are some discounted and others not.

I just don't understand the whole "Divide by 5" thing that is going on.

 

3rd edition did it a little differently from 4th... any item in the package that was considered "very useful" contributed 0 to the Package Bonus; any that was "somewhat useful" contributed a quarter of its cost, and any that was "rarely useful" contributed half.  4th edition made it total cost divided by 5, for simplicity's sake.  

 

The rationale for the bonus was that the package was a complete group and represented a thing the GM had created... like to be an elf you took the Elf Racial Package.  If you took everything in the Elf Racial Package, but didn't take the package itself, you weren't necessarily an elf.  The package bonus meant you didn't get to pick and choose, and you got a small point rebate because of that.  If the package stuck you with a bunch of useless skills, but you still had to take the package to be an elf, that's why.  

 

Whether you (for the general "you") agree with the rationale or not, that's pretty much what it was.  

 

In the particular case of this game, I'm the GM and the one pregenerating the characters, so I can do it how I want.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean... once I came up with the initialisms, the game almost wrote itself.  It's supposed to be a GI Joe meets Team America: World Police kind of thing, against generic bad guys.  In reality it's a rationale for me to get more people playing Hero, in a way that doesn't require buy-in to the Power build system.  I mean, there's a reason the beginning solo choose-your-own-adventure type mini adventures were in those books, and they told you to pick up a character sheet and start playing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Chris Goodwin said:

Stealth expert
2    Concealment +1
6    Stealth +1
2    WF: Bows/Crossbows
2    +1" Running    
3    +1 with Bows/Crossbows

Total Cost:  15 / 5 = 3

 

Obviously you can do what you want, I was just trying to understand the rationale... like... 3 pts for the above? Everything in there is completely valuable. What is the cost break rationale (not yours... but the generic package deal rationale) for getting a discount on any of that? (Sorry to distract from your thread, but I'm intrigued with understanding what your benefit is by having these cost division calculations). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

 

Obviously you can do what you want, I was just trying to understand the rationale... like... 3 pts for the above? Everything in there is completely valuable. What is the cost break rationale (not yours... but the generic package deal rationale) for getting a discount on any of that? (Sorry to distract from your thread, but I'm intrigued with understanding what your benefit is by having these cost division calculations). 

 

Ah!  Sorry about that, I misunderstood.  :)  

 

One idea I'd had was to make up cards, something like the Champions Character Creation Cards.  Those values are just the cost / 5, and the idea behind that is to make the numbers smaller and easier to add.  For instance, for a 150 point game you might take one stat card and some number of skills, packages, etc., that add up to 30, which would be a 150 point character.  At one point I thought I might let the players make their characters at the time of the game in this manner, which might not work for this.  But I think the general idea is sound.  

 

So, that's my particular thing.  Nothing to do with actual Hero rules.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chris Goodwin said:

 

Ah!  Sorry about that, I misunderstood.  :)  

 

One idea I'd had was to make up cards, something like the Champions Character Creation Cards.  Those values are just the cost / 5, and the idea behind that is to make the numbers smaller and easier to add.  For instance, for a 150 point game you might take one stat card and some number of skills, packages, etc., that add up to 30, which would be a 150 point character.  At one point I thought I might let the players make their characters at the time of the game in this manner, which might not work for this.  But I think the general idea is sound.  

 

So, that's my particular thing.  Nothing to do with actual Hero rules.  

 

Interesting... so the idea is:

 

GM makes up "cards" that have prebuilt powers, or skill sets, or whatever.

 

Card has a name like "GI Joe Basic Training" or "Electro-Rad Powers" or whatever works, because the cards represent a specific manifestation within the game.

 

Card has a set cost.

 

Players choose cards that add up to the "point level" of the campaign.

 

So you could, to make it easy... just say you have a 30 point game.   Select cards of skills ,powers, perks, whatever (I know this game has no powers, but a game like this could...) and when they add up to 30, you've got your character abilities.

 

Seems like a lot of work in prep for the GM, but could make for a fun Con game style thing, as the players have fun building characters by selecting cards.


heck... you could make it interesting by having players "draft" cards... like each one is dealt 30 points in cards... picks the ones they want and hands the rest to the next person. In the end, you have to build from what is available and is passed to you, and then make a sensible character from the selection. That would be a hoot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

 

Interesting... so the idea is:

 

GM makes up "cards" that have prebuilt powers, or skill sets, or whatever.

 

Card has a name like "GI Joe Basic Training" or "Electro-Rad Powers" or whatever works, because the cards represent a specific manifestation within the game.

 

Card has a set cost.

 

Players choose cards that add up to the "point level" of the campaign.

 

So you could, to make it easy... just say you have a 30 point game.   Select cards of skills ,powers, perks, whatever (I know this game has no powers, but a game like this could...) and when they add up to 30, you've got your character abilities.

 

Seems like a lot of work in prep for the GM, but could make for a fun Con game style thing, as the players have fun building characters by selecting cards.


heck... you could make it interesting by having players "draft" cards... like each one is dealt 30 points in cards... picks the ones they want and hands the rest to the next person. In the end, you have to build from what is available and is passed to you, and then make a sensible character from the selection. That would be a hoot!

 

Exactly!  These are the same thing but for sixth edition Champions, and with the actual point costs on them rather than a shortcut.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, death tribble said:

Chris,

 

Just to say I love the title. You immediately get The Man from UNCLE vs THRUSH vibe

 

It seems like you could have a lot more fun with the acronyms. How about Royal Omega Task Force League vs World Terror Front? You’d have ROTFL vs WTF!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...