Triple Frontier: Dark Champions / Modern HERO template

Killer Shrike

I just watched Triple Frontier on Netflix. It felt fairly legit, they got a fair amount of stuff right, such as the realities of post-military service civilianhood and the feels between the members of the SF unit that gets back together for one last op. 

It's pretty good fodder for a Dark Champions / Modern HERO one off. The outline of the plot can be used pretty much as is, or perhaps switching out the mcguffin to better fit a GM's needs. Worth checking out.

I watched it. It was more of a "personal journey" story and less "action movie" than I was expecting... which made it better than I expected. Some nice twists/role reversals with the two primary characters. Heck of a cast for a Netflix film. Shows the kind of clout they have in producing new work, these days.

Solid thumbs up, but not "WOW!" for me.

I was also reminded a bit of Heat, Baby, and similar heist movies. A lot of work and danger by highly skilled people living on the edge that doesn't end well...

A one-shot adventure using this as a template could probably sprawl out into at least a story arc or two as a mini campaign. The movie definitely had an obvious outlet for extension.

16 hours ago, Old Man said:

Watched Triple Frontier last night.  I agree that it'd be an excellent basis for a DI one-off.  You could even make a campaign out of it, at the intersection between special ops, espionage, and crime.  Other films like Ronin and Bourne Identity come to mind.

Ronin, the first Bourne, Heat... anything by Michael Mann really, even his bad stuff... pretty much my milieu. The fact that Netflix will produce a high quality bit of action/drama like Triple Frontier makes me very happy. 

Sort of offset by the fact that he was the most reluctant to join the team.

The best thing about the film was that they got the size of the money about right.  Too often movies will have dudes carrying around $1 million in a little attache case.  A school backpack is more like it.  Hollywood really gets it wrong when the bad guys ask for their loot in small bills.  Backpack-sized $1M is in hundreds.  In twenties, $1M fills a large suitcase.