Lesser Restoration

Toxxus

I'm trying to work in a variation of Lesser Restoration for one of my converted D&D tables.

The D&D version of the spell removes the poisoned, diseased, blinded and paralyzed conditions.

I thought about doing a transform, but the active point cost of reliably landing a Major Transform on 15-20 BOD allies would be very high.  Either that or they have to spam it a few times for it to work.

Alternately, I considered using a variation of Life Support: Usable by Others vs. Poison & Disease that lasts for a few hours (normally long enough to outlast a poison and maybe a GM handwave on the disease).

I'm hoping you have some suggestions.  :)

Well, the first question is:
How are Poison, Diseases, Blinding and Paralyzation even build?

Without knowing wich powers to counter, we can not counter them. So this goes more into general Game Design and Campaing rule territory, then simple power build.

Diseases and Poison:

Damage over Time applied to any number of Powers (from Damage, to Transforms, to Drains) would be away to go.

If you make it NND (fitting Live Support), then a simple "LS; Useable on Others" could be that part of the power.

My first instict for Blindness would be a Flash. But that is more for Combat Blindness, not "I can not see for hours"  Blindness wich D&D seems to prefer (that falls more into Transform). But maybe a DoT version of Flash could work here, with the same logic as for Diseases and Poison?

Paralyzation:
Entangle is usually the first thing. And boy countering that one is tricky.

But there are other possible ways. Look at the rules for having "0 in any Stat". That would allow Drains to become effective Paralysation tools.

The simplest way would be to declare "All Diseases are countered by the Restoration Spell" as a Campaign rule. This may or may not give all those Power Builds a Limitation.

1 hour ago, Toxxus said:

I'm trying to work in a variation of Lesser Restoration for one of my converted D&D tables.

The D&D version of the spell removes the poisoned, diseased, blinded and paralyzed conditions. 

I thought about doing a transform, but the active point cost of reliably landing a Major Transform on 15-20 BOD allies would be very high.  Either that or they have to spam it a few times for it to work.

Alternately, I considered using a variation of Life Support: Usable by Others vs. Poison & Disease that lasts for a few hours (normally long enough to outlast a poison and maybe a GM handwave on the disease).

I'm hoping you have some suggestions.  :)

For those who don't play D&D or haven't played it in a while, it's important to know what effects those conditions have  (assuming 5e D&D here):

Blinded
• A blinded creature can’t see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight.
• Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature’s attack rolls have disadvantage.  ("disadvantage" in 5e D&D = roll twice, take the worse result)

Incapacitated
• An incapacitated creature can’t take actions or reactions.

Paralyzed
• A paralyzed creature is incapacitated (see the condition) and can’t move or speak.
• The creature automatically fails Strength and Dexterity saving throws.
• Attack rolls against the creature have advantage.  ("advantage" = roll twice, take the better result)
• Any attack that hits the creature is a critical hit if the attacker is within 5 feet of the creature.

Poisoned
• A poisoned creature has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks.

The Diseased condition isn't statically defined; it basically varies by the disease.

I generally use Dispel for these types of powers, but it does depend on how you define them. I require paralyzation spells (and most other lingering effects) to take the "Can Be Dispelled" limitation unless they are very special or cast by beings of god like power. That helps with the conundrum on lingering instant powers. Same with transform on most transform spells, dispel must be one of the conditions that allow it to be reversed (now you may not have a Dispel with enough dice, but that is a different problem).

So this would be some sort of dispel with expanded effects (Blast, RKA, Flash, Transform, Entangle) for +1 1/4 would be 6.75 AP per die. You might have to switch out Drain for Entangle if you define paralysis that way. So basically it is going to be some flavor of that. If you want something that is absolute, take the campaign AP max for attack powers and divide by 3, make the dispel Standard Effect and give it that number of dice (so 100 AP would be 33 d6). Or if you go the "Transform to person without negative conditions", just use the max Body allowed. Either of these is going to be expensive, which is a problem that I often run into converting D&D spells to FH in a level appropriate point range.

- E

The easiest way to do it is a transform: person into person without these maladies.  It takes an advantage to make them the same person after the transform, but its a minor or major at most (you're not really changing them very much).  Since transform is automatically cumulative in 6th edition, you don't even have to pull it off in one shot.  Per the rules, healing transforms do not require a "goes away" mechanism; the removal of the transform is basically the victim somehow getting sick again.

On 3/21/2019 at 1:55 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

The easiest way to do it is a transform: person into person without these maladies.  It takes an advantage to make them the same person after the transform, but its a minor or major at most (you're not really changing them very much).  Since transform is automatically cumulative in 6th edition, you don't even have to pull it off in one shot.  Per the rules, healing transforms do not require a "goes away" mechanism; the removal of the transform is basically the victim somehow getting sick again.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well.

In my opinion, there shouldn't be a problem with a healer having to spam such a widely comprehensive restoration spell.

On the other hand, Life Support: Immunity (Variable result, Usable by others, Charges) would be an interesting option, especially for an NPC. The person casting the spell would have to be able to accurately diagnose what is wrong with the person in order to attune the curing spell properly. That'd give healers a real reason to know something about medicine or poisons rather than just slinging spells. And the charges limitation could create some tension over whether the healer can figure out exactly what's wrong before his number of attempts run out.

The big drawback is that you can't use transform on yourself, so...

On the other hand, Life Support: Immunity (Variable result, Usable by others, Charges) would be an interesting option, especially for an NPC.

It would depend a lot on the build.  If its an ongoing power, then its still there, the character would just be immune to its effects until the life support wore off.  Life Support doesn't dispel anything, it just makes you not be affected by that special effect while it is in place.

6 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

It would depend a lot on the build.  If its an ongoing power, then its still there, the character would just be immune to its effects until the life support wore off.  Life Support doesn't dispel anything, it just makes you not be affected by that special effect while it is in place.

I was thinking of it as being more of a "hold the patient's hand until he gets better" power. The patient should start looking and feeling better quickly enough to let the healer know whether the effect is working or not (i.e. before the healer invests a huge amount of time). When the patient's body becomes a completely hostile environment for a disease, I wouldn't GM rule that a healer would have to keep the power going for days or weeks in order to kill off that bacteria or virus. YMMV.

Of course with long-term continuing charges, you could get around the hand-holding part, but at some point in extending the time the power works, it'd just be cheaper to buy a transform.

My wife's character has an AoE usable by nearby life support ability vs. poison and disease.

I've allowed her to "heal" sick people by spending a couple days with them with their immune systems being able to eventually prevail while the deleterious effects of the disease were held at bay by the life support.

Made for an interesting RP encounter where the normally nuke happy fire witch was willing to sit with a family of infected villagers for a couple days.

On 3/25/2019 at 2:03 PM, Toxxus said:

My wife's character has an AoE usable by nearby life support ability vs. poison and disease.

I've allowed her to "heal" sick people by spending a couple days with them with their immune systems being able to eventually prevail while the deleterious effects of the disease were held at bay by the life support.

Made for an interesting RP encounter where the normally nuke happy fire witch was willing to sit with a family of infected villagers for a couple days.

One way to simualte illnesses I thought about was this:
A Drain with a long Recovery time (or even just straight Attribute Damage, where the System supports that). NND: Fitting Live Support.

Now it is not damage over time, but Reaqpplying (A advantage Hero afaik does not have). Everytime it deals damage, it will spawn a new instance of itself that will deal damage later.

This is repeated until the Immune System develops the Immunity or Immunity is applied from a external source. But even after the immunity was build, the damage still needs to Fade/Heal.