San Angelo: City of Heroes, 20 years later

goldrushg

In case folks hadn't heard, here's the recent posting on our Facebook page:

We’re working on an update to our original San Angelo: City of Heroes product line, bringing the Origins Award-nominated sourcebook and setting into the 21st century! No definitive release date yet but we are shooting for Summer 2020. We’ll post updates here so be sure to follow us to get the latest info!

I'll be posting material and sneak peaks, as well as answering questions, in this thread.

See you at Liberty Square!

SACoH Facebook Page | Twitter: @SACoHNews | IG: @SACoHNews |  Website: SACoH.com

SACoH Coming Soon.jpg

One of the things we're going to be doing is creating a lot more eye candy to help create an immersive experience, as well as to create a sort of guide for artists. Here's one example: the branding for the various television stations in the Golden City. Please share your feedback below.

SACoH TV channels.jpg

6 hours ago, goldrushg said:

One of the things we're going to be doing is creating a lot more eye candy to help create an immersive experience, as well as to create a sort of guide for artists. Here's one example: the branding for the various television stations in the Golden City. Please share your feedback below.

SACoH TV channels.jpg

Humm...what is there Telemundo/Univision affiliate? Also, what digital non-news channels are in the city? Movies? Comet? Action? MeTV? Perhaps some new channels like Super (all superhero media most of the time), and Toonview (non-E.I. cartoons which you can't see on Cartoon Network).

This brings back memories. In my campaign, I figured out, based on the old map, exactly where in California fit the local geography of San Angelo, and placed it there... somewhat mid-way between LA and San Fran. It was considered a sleepy little burg compared to the other big cities, but had a growing metahuman population... then the cataclysm hit. LA was wiped off the map, and millions of refugees ended up in San Angelo and its supers became famous for trying to build new infrastructure, treading the line between a city falling into chaos of tent cities and factionalism, or becoming a city of the future using advanced technology and superpowers to create something new.

A decade later, the final Grand Tekken was being held in San Angelo, as the worlds greatest martial masters gathered to fight for the power of the Black Dragon. We never learned the results, because the alien invasion that lasted another decade and wiped out three quarters of the world population took place... and we've never returned to San Angelo in the campaign. 

Now you've got me wondering... what DID become of that city? There was at least one future timeline explored in the decades of game play where the entire planet was a wilderness, except for one, shining city... The City... where the "Raised" lived... a civilization, the last civilization, of metahumans... maybe... maybe...

15 minutes ago, Chris Goodwin said:

I went to tech school in San Angelo, Texas.  This name has always, always gotten my attention because of that!  

You were in tech, not Medieval History... but maybe you had classes with a friend of mine. Ilan Mitchel-Smith taught at San Angelo. We used to play on online Champs and joked about it.

8 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

You were in tech, not Medieval History... but maybe you had classes with a friend of mine. Ilan Mitchel-Smith taught at San Angelo. We used to play on online Champs and joked about it.

I was at the other end of town.  Goodfellow AFB rather than Angelo State University.  

(Did you know he's the same person who appeared in the film Weird Science with Anthony Michael Hall?)

1 hour ago, Chris Goodwin said:

I was at the other end of town.  Goodfellow AFB rather than Angelo State University.  

(Did you know he's the same person who appeared in the film Weird Science with Anthony Michael Hall?)

He is indeed! And like his movie role, he is a total nerd who loves games and minis and all that!

Regarding the TV stations--are there actually any independent TV stations?  Anymore?  Anywhere?  I would think that with media conglomerates buying up just about every station and cable/satellite service they can get their hands on, that the independent station showing reruns, first-run syndication and self-produced programming has gone the way of the roof-mounted antenna.

23 hours ago, Administratum said:

Who’s writing?

At the moment, me. A bit of the material originally written by Patrick Sweeney is being recycled (the non-specific descriptive text), though a good portion is being updated and all-new material is being added, as well.

I'm doing most of the writing at present, though Patrick has expressed an interest in contributing new material, as well.

22 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Goldrushg one thing you’ll need to consider is how Block vs Ranged Attacks / Deflection is handled. This way the authors will know how to build say Bracers of Defense or give them the Slice arrows outta the air trick.

Thanks for the heads up. (Reminds me of the yadomejutsu maneuvers in Sengoku.)

19 hours ago, steriaca said:

Humm...what is there Telemundo/Univision affiliate? Also, what digital non-news channels are in the city? Movies? Comet? Action? MeTV? Perhaps some new channels like Super (all superhero media most of the time), and Toonview (non-E.I. cartoons which you can't see on Cartoon Network).

In the San Angelo Universe (SAU?) we try to avoid using real-world brand names, as a rule, but I'm sure there will be a Spanish-language TV station, cable networks, and streaming services. The above are representative of the stations from the original book that I thought most fans would be more familiar with.

I like the "all superhero media" angle. :)

13 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Ilan played in our local Champions game ages ago. He's a great guy.

7 hours ago, steriaca said:

I would love to see who the second or third generation heroes are. We might need group of teenage magical girl heroes.

Of course!

Wait 'til you see what's happened to the old guard, as well. Remember Twister? Corona? Azteca? And how about those normals? Benjamin Morgan, Thaddeus Long, and Harvey Waltrip... darn near everyone is getting an update. Who's Harvey Waltrip? He's the 44-year-old homeless man who was quoted in the book. Wait until you see what he's doing now. "Where Are They Now?" will be its own chapter. Heck, maybe even it's own supplement!

We'll have plenty of new blood, as well. The Justice Foundation is going to have a different (yet familiar) feel to it.

There are many ways to incorporate radio stations into your superhero game. Characters can receive foreshadowing or news reports after the fact, they can be questioned by reporters after an incident, or interviewed in-studio. Now, for the first time, we share the unique logos for the radio stations in San Angelo: City of Heroes!

Enjoy!

SACoH Radio Stations 1.jpg

SACoH Radio Stations 2.jpg

I like what you're doing with the media stations and channels. Nice logos! 

How about adding a list and short description of some programming on the channels and stations. Live talk shows, or podcasts, of interest to local superheroes. Also, perhaps a local online newspaper (site, media outlet -- I'm not sure what it's called these days) with some example "headlines" and "newspaper clippings" that can be used as short scenario ideas or rumors for GMs to incorporate or use as jumping off points to start adventures and campaigns.

4 hours ago, borbetomagnus said:

I like what you're doing with the media stations and channels. Nice logos! 

Why, thank you!

How about adding a list and short description of some programming on the channels and stations.

I'm on it. I'm adding some additional flavor text in the books, where space allows, but also in the new Wiki.

Also, perhaps a local online newspaper (site, media outlet -- I'm not sure what it's called these days) with some example "headlines" and "newspaper clippings" that can be used as short scenario ideas or rumors for GMs to incorporate or use as jumping off points to start adventures and campaigns.

Good call! That is actually going to be the focus of the website when it's finished.

4 hours ago, Dkap said:

.You are doing a great job and i can't wait to see more.You are an inspiration and best of luck with this.

Thank you very much.

We create books for love of the game and love of the genre, but in the end, it's you, the fans, who keep us going.