San Angelo: City of Heroes, 20 years later

goldrushg

Something from the San Angelo: City of Heroes update I'm working on. Enjoy!

Reapers MC
The Reapers Motorcycle Club has a chapter in San Angelo. The Reapers are a predominantly white club, though they don't have any actual club prohibitions against other races prospecting.
The Reapers have been around since the 1960s. The mother chapter is in Stanislaus County, about an hour's ride away.
The Reapers MC is involved in drug trafficking, weapons sales, prostitution, and the adult film business.
They have a mutual respect with the Aztecs MC, with whom they've done business on a number of occasions.
The Reapers clubhouse is located near Garrett's Landing in rural San Angelo county.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was thinking that the Justice Foundation would be interested in a junior group for promising young teenage supers. Leading the future is, of course, part of the major goal of solving all the world's ills. Me and Mark have created the Junior Justice Foundation (which is to the Justice Foundation as the Teen Titans are to the Justice League).

Membership list:

Quarterback: Gay teenage football player given "brick" powers by a mad scientist who thought he could genetically engender homosexuality away, and was not above using non-volunteers for his test and treatments. QB is unsure if he should be open to the public.

Lady Heart: My character. Robert "Rob" Trueheart, who was given a magical bracelet at an anime convention. He transforms into an anime style magical girl to fight evil.

Blackbird: Former sidekick to Redbird. Blackbird was left high and dry and heartbroken when his mentor turned to crime in order to hide the expenses of being a rich superhero. Blackbird turned his mentor in and joined the Junior Justice Foundation. He has taken the steps to "downgrade" his crime fighting gadgets, and us a quite fair martial artist.

And of course many more.

There is no true leader, as they are assigned a Justice Foundation member when they go on a mission.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Haven’t seen the maps myself, but it is a California thing to put parks along river sides, or make parks and picnic spaces from overflow spill ways. A park preempt development along flood plains. 

That also describes New York City's Riverside Park.  It is, admittedly, smaller than the Samuel Bracket City Park, but the concept still works.  I can see it containing the Highland Park Zoo, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens and the Bob O'Connor Golf Course (both in Schenley Park), and the National Aviary all of which are here in Pittsburgh.

Yeah, it's definitely not a California only thing. I just returned from a trip down under, and in Christchurch, there is a lovely park that stretches along the river, but then you look at Brisbane and you see a much grander scale of what a "river city" is. The entire city is built on and around the river with a massive park that stretches along the river and contains museums, botanical gardens, etc. just like Mark Rand described in Pittsburgh.

While one side of Highland Park runs along the Allegheny River, Schenley Park doesn't touch it. 

Of course, the Three Rivers Heritage Trail System runs along the rivers and there are a number of parks, including Point State Park, North Shore Riverfront Park, South Shore Riverfront Park, and Allegheny Riverfront Park, all of which are parcels of Three Rivers Park, the city's urban waterfront park along its rivers that provides a continuous green trail link between existing and future riverfront destinations.

I'm now envisioning the Samuel Bracket City Park this way.  The southernmost part has The Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, a pool, an outdoor ice rink, a lake, picnic shelters, a disc golf course, soccer fields, tennis courts, an outdoor running track, and a softball diamond.  Just north of that is the Riverside Park clone, more athletic fields, a dog park, and places to fish.  The northern end has the city zoo and aviary.  Restrooms, trash cans, and water fountains are scattered throughout the park.

Although there is a vintage car race at Sonoma Raceway, there is some talk of having one, for charity, in the Samuel Bracket City Park.  There is also talk of a go-kart race for charity there.

My thought is that there are several 2-leaf bascule bridges crossing the Del Oro River between South San Angelo and San Angelo International Airport.  Since they're on less-important roads, they aren't on the area map. 

Two or three that are less than a mile apart can be operated from the same remote location with video cameras to monitor river and road traffic.

From my Junior Justice Foundation campaign, which is set in San Angelo:

University of California San Angelo is home to the San Angelo Oceanic Institute which is located between South San Angelo and Brenton. 

They lease the RV Pacifica and the DSV Sea Bat from the Office of Naval Research.  The Pacifica also carries two 17-foot Boston Whaler work/rescue boats, the MV Discovery and the MV Enterprise.

I like the notion of paddlewheelers near The Wharves from the original book, but we could extend it to cruises of both rivers run by Golden City Cruises.

The Golden City Queen is a sternwheeler and carries the fleet's main kitchen.  The Good Ship Lollypop is a sidewheeler.  The Golden City Party Liner is a barge pushed by a tug, the Party Liner II.

Have there been any mergers of hospitals?  My guess is that there have been.  The University Medical Center has merged with Children's Hospital of San Angelo, Delta Community Hospital, Marshall Community Hospital, Castle Heights Community Hospital, and Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital.

Who provides medical helicopter service?  My guess is CALSTAR (California Shock Trauma Air Rescue) and Stanford Life Flight.