San Angelo: City of Heroes, 20 years later

goldrushg

I posted this to my "Junior Justice Foundation Campaign" thread a short time ago.

Based on my opinion that the Del Oro River Delta and the Sacramento/San Joaquin River Delta are the same, San Angelo County is Solano County and Del Oro County is Sonoma County.

As they are that close, in my opinion, to the San Francisco Bay Area, San Angelo has no professional sports teams and probably doesn't have as many radio and TV stations as we thought.

• 5 months later...

In coming up with ideas for San Angelo in my Junior Justice Foundation campaign, I have to look to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, my home town.  We once had a Chinatown, but don't anymore.  The same thing has happened to San Angelo.  The City Center has expanded, forcing the population to move to other parts of the city.

Pittsburgh's Point State Park serves as a reference for San Angelo's Confluence Point Park while Downtown Pittsburgh serves as the model for San Angelo's City Center.

• 3 months later...

I would like to echo the need for neighborhood supplements, like Dragon's Gate.  One for University Commons would be good, as would one for College Gardens and Lakeview.  A supplement about Samuel Brackett City Park wold also be good as well as more information about the area airports.  They could be PDFs instead of printed.

• 3 months later...

In my campaign, the latest incarnation, the Justice Foundation has two teams and a support staff consisting of security guards, communications room staffers, a secretary, a housekeeper, a nurse, an electronics expert, one pilot for each team, and a computer expert, some of which were think tank staffers.

The senior team uses the TurboJet, which is 60 feet long, has a wingspan of 50 feet 11 inches and has a top speed of Mach 9.85.  (I based the size on a Learjet 75.)  The junior team uses a conventional helicopter.

Edit: My mistake on the TurboJet's top speed.  It's top speed is 2,360 miles per hour (approximately Mach 3).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The book states that UC San Angelo has a 1.3 square mile campus and covers 1.200 acres.  To me, that's impossible.  I read it as the university's main 1.3 square mile campus covers 272 acres.  The 1.200 acre number includes off-campus facilities, including the oceanic institute, located downstream from the Port of San Angelo, and the cruciform radio telescope array, located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Edited by Mark Rand

Within Marshall, a rural community in southern San Angelo County, there are several interesting places.

One is the Silver Oak Ranch.  There, one can rent horses, board horses, learn to ride Western-style, or go on trail rides.  It is also an occasional filming location.

Another is Marshall Park, the area's 5/8-mile harness racing track.  They have year around racing, but are closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and Superbowl Sunday.

The third is Anderson Farms, a Christmas tree farm where you cut your own tree.  If needed, they'll provide the saw.  They also have hayrides, a corn maze, a pumpkin patch, pony rides, and a petting zoo.

In my Justice Foundation campaign, Lotus, now 39, is the only member of the old team with it.  Savant, now 62, is retired due to health problems and fading powers.  However, he does, occasionally, help Lotus in the labs.

The Sheriff's Department has moved their twin Hueys from Forgan Air Force Base to Lakeview Airport, where REACH Air Medical Services has a hangar that serves as a base for it's area helicopter, an Airbus Helicopters H135.

• 2 weeks later...

The northern part of Samuel Brackett City Park is based on Pittsburgh's Highland Park.  It has the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium, two reservoirs for treated water, a bike track, athletic fields, playgrounds, a lake, a pool, picnic groves, gardens, and trails.

The southern part is based on Pittsburgh's Schenley Park.  It has a golf course, a pool, an outdoor ice rink, athletic fields, picnic groves, playgrounds, the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, statues, trails, and a lily pond with a memorial to George Westinghouse that could be replaced by one to Samuel Brackett.  The park is also home to the annual Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, which could be replaced by a San Angelo Vintage Grand Prix.

In between them we have an archery range and the stables with stalls for 16 horses.  Of them, there are 12 American Quarter Horse mares for rental.  A thirteenth stall is home to the head groom's leopard appaloosa mare.

Edited by Mark Rand

• 4 weeks later...

Saint Mary's Hospitals and the Children's Hospital of San Angelo have merged with the University Medical Center.

UMC Saint Mary's General Hospital and UMC Children's Hospital of San Angelo have moved into state of the art facilities on the western side of the University of California San Angelo campus.