The Blooded: Modern Mythos

sentry0

4 hours ago, Steve said:

Average Skill Penalty looks like it should be -5 based on 47.4 Average Active Points, if the standard is -1/10 penalty.

So, on any given day, despite having access to such wondrous powers, over half of them don't use them at all? That's some impressive self-control given that you could have some individuals among them who have a favorite ability or two they use every chance they can.

Even given your assumptions, about six breaches a day just in NYC alone implies that the worldwide effect is a powder keg waiting to detonate. 

Not all of the spells are -1 per 10 AP, the more expensive spells are -1 per 20...still I was rounding the penalties wrong in my base spells, I was rounding in the players favor.  I revisited the rounding and it ends up equalling 4.81 so I bumped up the % fail column by 1...and FYI I'm throwing out the top 2 and lowest 2 spells in my calculations in both cases.  Now I have to go back through the doc and update the spells themselves.

I think it's reasonable to assume that if you could do something really cool on demand but it has the potential to do something really horrible you would be judicious about doing it.  That's my premise coming into the calculations which I think is reasonable.  However, the numbers are getting a little bit too high with that new bump in penalty...I may take you up on your suggestion of going for -1 per 20 across the board, it will get the numbers down to 2.3 using the same assumptions.  

Updated the doc a bit...

• Changed fonts to be Times New Roman per the writers guidelines
  • Formatted text per the writing guidelines (no spaces between paragraphs, tabs on paragraph start, etc)
  • Updated all spells to use -1 per 20 AP instead of the standard -1 per 10
  • Updated NPCs 

Next up I have to come to terms with my love of the word "that"...

• 2 weeks later...

I made some more document changes...

• I abandoned the writing guidelines in favor of a 2 column layout
  • All spells are now -1 per 20 AP for skill roll penalties
  • Moved some sections around for better readability
  • Moved the work I was doing to write up NYC to its own document
  • I picturefied the document (shout out to Jason S. Walters on this one)

I'll post the setting book for the game later once I have a little more work to show.  So far I wrote up most of the important NPCs in Manhattan.  I'll probably stop once I have Manhattan written up in general and not worry about the other boroughs until I actually start playing the game.

• 6 months later...

Just came across this. Very cool. Reading through it so I haven't seen it all yet but something jumped out at me:

The spell Bane of Achilles, which is a bunch of modifiers to a MELEE attack and is supposedly the spell that brought him down. 

However, Achilles was killed by an arrow.  So maybe change it to modifiers for a RKA?

10 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

Just came across this. Very cool. Reading through it so I haven't seen it all yet but something jumped out at me:

The spell Bane of Achilles, which is a bunch of modifiers to a MELEE attack and is supposedly the spell that brought him down. 

However, Achilles was killed by an arrow.  So maybe change it to modifiers for a RKA?

Haha, good point :) 

I kind of abandoned this project after receiving a bunch of negative feedback around the Mythic Breach mechanics and the fact that normal humans are unaware of the Blooded and their side effects.  I like the premise but it reads like a White Wolf game which I didn't set out to do intentionally... it's amazing how much you can be influenced by your subconscious.

I have a setting book for NYC (Manhattan specifically) kicking around on my hard drive.  Maybe I'll resurrect it and put it up on the Hall of Champions at some point.

Edit: I should point out that many of the spells and some of the names of the bloodlines and friends and foes I recycled for Terra Prime, a pretty by the numbers urban fantasy setting.  It's not as low concept as The Blooded was but I've been having a lot of fun playing with it with my gaming group.

29 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

Ah, that's a shame. I don't mind WW influence... I mean, why not? It's hard for Urban Fantasy not to feel like some good ol' WW. 

Interesting, I might check out Terra Prime. 

How do you handle magic in it?

I was going for a classic high fantasy feel for spell casters so I went with a divisor on all spells.  The average cost of spells seems to be around 6 CP.  There is nothing fancy about the spell casting procedures, it's mostly just incantations and gestures.  It's pretty generic but not necessarily the only form of magic that exists on Terra Prime...

I was reading your magic system post in the Fantasy HERO forum, it look s really cool. 

3 minutes ago, sentry0 said:

I was going for a classic high fantasy feel for spell casters so I went with a divisor on all spells.  The average cost of spells seems to be around 6 CP.  There is nothing fancy about the spell casting procedures, it's mostly just incantations and gestures.  It's pretty generic but not necessarily the only form of magic that exists on Terra Prime...

I was reading your magic system post in the Fantasy HERO forum, it look s really cool. 

Thanks for that! I've also got a divine magic version and an elven magic version. They are all pretty similar, but with a few tweaks and unique bits.

Cool, I appreciate the info about your setting. May have to look it up.