Speed in Fantasy HERO

smoelf

• 3 weeks later...

I think we all agree, SPD is catnip for players. Everyone can explain why they should have a certain SPD, typically max allowed. All HERO players know that SPD will make them more effective or competent and others not that SPD will simply see it as a correction made up with XP. SPD differential engenders jealous, envy and a certain amount of Alpha / Beta dynamic. Few player would not sacrifice 10 pts for a higher SPD.

As mentioned earlier, with a discount in 6th ed. of DEX from SPD, mechanically, SPD is just a barometer.

My GM can have players pass a litmus test of background for a SPD over any other SPD.  It has to be a campaign mechanic. If we agree all the PC's are a cut form the same cloth, ie Mortals, humanoids, flesh, then SPD has to be like limbs, senses and breathing.

DEX can be different say DEX 8 to DEX 20. In addition Lightning Reflexes, Skill lvls in DEX based skills or DEX char rolls. Time mods penalties for performing DEX based skill faster on the Time chart can be bought as PSL. SPD is only 2, 3 or 4 and as mentioned a huge difference.

Attack Feats / Talents / Super skills ie Powers , Martial maneuvers, and PSL / CSL can be bought to give combat heavy characters the ability to handle mass ranks, enemy surrounds, Tactical lapses etc. That is where HERO shines and show off flexibility and imagination.

SPD 2 world, SPD 3 for PC level threats. I would start my game at SPD 3 and say when all players have reached a level of acclaim or notoriety in the campaign then I would allow a jump to SPD 4 if all players have the requisite XP and that would signal a jump in Heroic stature.

In my current Saturday campaign the players are in Book 5 of the War for the Crown series.  It's level 14ish in D&D terms.

Everyone in the party is speed 4 currently except my wife's Sorceress.  One of the things I did at the beginning of the campaign was create a Combat Effectiveness Sheet and set a cap at each tier of the adventure.

So, while my wife's character is slower than everyone else, she also has the highest damage rating and the highest OCV.

The best way to deal with the Need for Speed is to make sure that the other heroes have areas they can shine in that are equally important.

Ex:

Air Bender guy can fly and has barriers to englobe enemies while being lower OCV and lower damage than the others.

Fire Witch is slower, but has devastating damage output

Udyr (kung fu animal spirit shaman thing) - Is a high mobility bruiser with a good balance of speed, OCV, damage and defenses

Witcher has weaker magic than the others, but brutal magic swords and a suit of plate armor so powerful that the players refer to it as the mech suit.

etc.

Generally speaking the point system tends to create balance without needing hard caps.  If you spend 30 points on speed, then you are 30 points poorer for things like levels, damage, magic, etc.  OK you have 5 speed, but 8 strength.  Its a pretty effective system in terms of checks and balances and making sacrifices.

56 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Generally speaking the point system tends to create balance without needing hard caps.  If you spend 30 points on speed, then you are 30 points poorer for things like levels, damage, magic, etc.  OK you have 5 speed, but 8 strength.  Its a pretty effective system in terms of checks and balances and making sacrifices.

I find it needs reinforcement to prevent 30 pt things like +10 OCV with swords = I hit them in the unarmored eyeball 90+% of the time.

Mostly I agree, but some degree of corralling is necessary.

On 6/14/2019 at 5:02 AM, Christopher R Taylor said:

It's supposed to be, but Hero is costed for supers campaigns and not for fantasy, which creates some imbalances.  It still mostly works out though.