SHAZAM! (spoilers)

Starlord

Okay, just got back. 

That is the most I have enjoyed a movie in _years_!

Seriously; I haven't had that much fun since the first Lego Movie, and I'm not sure I liked that as much as I did Shazam. 

No fan boy service, no concerns about "Canon" or establishing some meta-plot through a franchise, or following a storyline from a comic that was popular fifteen years ago or anything outside "this is our movie, and we had a good time making it." 

Just pure fun from start to finish.  Loved it.

As for a review: everyone in the movie was much better than I expected, but I personally thought the guy playing Dr. Sivana was probably the best actor of the lot.  I mean, I genuinely _hated_ that character, and it had nothing to do with the comics (in which he was kind of a joke). 

My son was overjoyed at the "peep" of Mr. Mind in the origin sequence, and doubly-excited at the hint of him featuring in a sequel. 

As others have noted, Darla stole every scene she was in.  :lol:  even the one with Santa.  :)

If you haven't seen it, kick yourself.  Hard.   It's just a fun, fun movie that at no point pretends to be any bigger or any more grandiose than it is.  Loved it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

People keep saying "solid B" yet I think it's telling that I paid to take an entire family to this thing twice, a truckload of family and kids to the drive-in when it hit there, and have pre-ordered the DVD, yet have no interest at all in anything that says "Avengers" on the title.  This movie is an "A".  It's just that not being a "Marvel movie" seems to cause folks to deduct a grade.  :(

I'm a big Marvel fan, but there's only a couple that I'd give an 'A' grade.  I rewatch nearly all superhero movies because I'm a fan of the genre.  I gave Shazam a 'B' because it was funny, but not hilarious.  Feel good, but not feel great.  The villain was solid, but not brilliant.  The most endearing character was a minor one - Darla.  The least endearing character was actually Billy Batson himself.

Fair enough. 

I do admit that I had an issue with the allegedly "pure of heart" juvenile delinquent aspect.  Though I did find the movie hillarious (not hyperbole: I nearly cried with laughter in some spots) simply because it was _such_ a departure from what I was expecting:  grim dark broody modern oh-so-conflicted whothehellcares stuff so popular these days.  It was a breath of much-needed fresh air, and it blew steady for two hours. 

Best time I've had since the first Toby Spiderman, and even that was a bit broody. 

Unfortunately right now, Marvel Films get an extra star from people just for being Marvel and DC get a star docked just for being DC.  There have been some really great DC products out lately, and some meh Marvel stuff.  The last two Avengers movies, if they'd had "DC" attached to them would have gotten much lower marks.  But nostalgia and wraps up Avengers and I love these characters and folks look past or explain away the stuff they'd have savaged without the Marvel badge.