Empire Club in Hudson City

Brian Stanfield

Since the map is so extensive, and the electronic version is so darned useful, I'm going to base my campaign in Hudson City, but I also want to use the Empire Club as a plot device and a home base for the players. So, where in Hudson City would you locate the Empire Club? I've seen a couple of references to Hudson City in the 5e Pulp Hero supplements, but nothing in the Hudson City book itself. I'm not sure what makes the most sense for placement. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The floor plans and description of an Empire Club chapter is in the Justice Inc Campaign book for $5.

As for where?  I'd say in Bankhurst.  Say on 20th Ave facing the park but near the South Bankhurst rail station.  20th Ave and Thomas St.

35 minutes ago, Spence said:

The floor plans and description of an Empire Club chapter is in the Justice Inc Campaign book for $5.

As for where?  I'd say in Bankhurst.  Say on 20th Ave facing the park but near the South Bankhurst rail station.  20th Ave and Thomas St.

Good choice! I've got the original Justic, Inc. books, so I have all of the information I need. I just don't know the neighborhoods of Hudson City so well yet. I'm looking for something equivalent to what it would be in New York City. I'm looking at your intersection, and just down the road where 20th bends into N. Jackson St. there is an odd lot of land that seems like the perfect candidate for an exclusive adventurers club owned by a millionaire. 

5 minutes ago, Brian Stanfield said:

Good choice! I've got the original Justic, Inc. books, so I have all of the information I need. I just don't know the neighborhoods of Hudson City so well yet. I'm looking for something equivalent to what it would be in New York City. I'm looking at your intersection, and just down the road where 20th bends into N. Jackson St. there is an odd lot of land that seems like the perfect candidate for an exclusive adventurers club owned by a millionaire. 

The version of the Empire Club I remember occupied two floors of a Manhattan skyscraper.  I envision 20th as having 1920/30's skyscrapers on the north side facing the park.  Straight out of a Doc Savage book.

18 minutes ago, Spence said:

The version of the Empire Club I remember occupied two floors of a Manhattan skyscraper.  I envision 20th as having 1920/30's skyscrapers on the north side facing the park.  Straight out of a Doc Savage book.

True enough, but it occupies 4 floors: two for the club, 1 for guest quarters, and 1 for Darius Stoner's private residence. It also suggests that it could be in a brownstone, which is maybe what I have been envisioning all along by accident. 

By the by, where do you locate Hudson City? I was thinking Connecticut, but that would require the map to be turned 90 degrees to match the coastline, and I don't want to try to figure out how to finagle the compass rose on the map. So maybe just replace Newark? But that's so close to New York that it seems silly to have two Empire Clubs. Perhaps I keep it in New York and replace Newark with Hudson City and just make the short drive to NYC whenever the club is needed. In all honesty, though, I wanted to set everything in Hudson City so that I wouldn't have to try to figure out a good map for NYC, and could just use the one for H.C. for everything.

13 minutes ago, Brian Stanfield said:

True enough, but it occupies 4 floors: two for the club, 1 for guest quarters, and 1 for Darius Stoner's private residence. It also suggests that it could be in a brownstone, which is maybe what I have been envisioning all along by accident. 

By the by, where do you locate Hudson City? I was thinking Connecticut, but that would require the map to be turned 90 degrees to match the coastline, and I don't want to try to figure out how to finagle the compass rose on the map. So maybe just replace Newark? But that's so close to New York that it seems silly to have two Empire Clubs. Perhaps I keep it in New York and replace Newark with Hudson City and just make the short drive to NYC whenever the club is needed. In all honesty, though, I wanted to set everything in Hudson City so that I wouldn't have to try to figure out a good map for NYC, and could just use the one for H.C. for everything.

Four floors?  I just had to look back at JI and they have plans for 3 floors with Darius having a permanent suite on the 3rd.  But it would make sense to add a 4th with more rooms/apartments.  In the 20's, 30's and into the 40's, there would have been rooms and apartments for the retainers and servants.

I picked out Newburyport, Mass.  I plonk HC on the coast there and replace the real world Merrimack River with the Stewart River. 

5 hours ago, Spence said:

Four floors?  I just had to look back at JI and they have plans for 3 floors with Darius having a permanent suite on the 3rd. 

Oh, you know what? The way it's worded threw me off. The Empire Club is in a large building, in the second, third and fourth floors, with his private quarters on "the fourth floor," not a fourth floor. My mistake. I read it too quickly and still had the brownstone in mind, so I inserted an illicit fourth floor. Although that's not such a bad idea. If I had private quarters, I'm not sure I'd want them on a floor with other boarders.

6 hours ago, Spence said:

I plonk HC on the coast there and replace the real world Merrimack River with the Stewart River.

Thoreau is rolling in his grave. :no: 

5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Hudson City is always described in the books as on the southern coast of New Jersey, so unless you want it to be more proximate to New York, I'd set it between Atlantic City and Cape May. Lots of space there with no large cities.

Nice catch. I never noticed the references to southern New Jersey, although I had coincidentally selected a spot right where you're describing, either at Mullica River or Absecon Creek. I haven't decided yet. There's also a few spots along the Delaware/Maryland/Virginia coast that are relatively empty, although that's getting a little far south.

By the way, where are the references to New Jersey? I'd like to take a look at them so I can be responsible for what they say.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Latest reference is on Champions Universe 6E p. 89, but it says no more about New Jersey than what I mentioned. I don't have the most recent Dark Champions books, so I'm afraid I don't know more than that.

Thanks for that. I never would have caught that little box.

So I was looking at Pulp HERO and it specifically says that the Empire Club is in both New York City and Hudson City, but no explanation as to why. (The other locations are San Francisco, London, Hong Kong, and Delhi) As Lord Liaden points out, Hudson City is on the south Jersey Shore, which puts it less than 100 miles away from NYC. Can anyone come up with a rationale as to why this is the case, since the other clubs are thousands of miles apart from each other? I'm not complaining, for the reasons I listed above. But I know one of my players will ask me. . . 

Perhaps @Steve Long could chime in on the rationale if you have a moment and are so inclined? Maybe you also have a hint as to where to locate the Empire Club within Hudson city?

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Duke Bushido said:

Despite all the jokes about the south, it's the only state where it's legal to marry a sibling or a parent.  I am far more concerned about the people who don't leave.

You say this like people should disapprove, while at the same time Game of Thrones is the most popular show on television . . . :nonp: