Uses for a whip?

Tech

12 minutes ago, Tech said:

I've got a villain who uses a normal whip as a back-up weapon. However, I know little of whips. What abilities would a normal whip have?

In comics and movies, you see them used as an entangle, to perform a grab, to enhance a PRE attack by cracking the whip, swinging, and as a weapon to inflict minor damage either with stretching or with limited range (according to how you choose to write it up).

7 hours ago, Chris Goodwin said:

You can whip it into shape;

Shape it up;

Get straight;

Go forward;

Move ahead;

Try to detect it

It's not too late, to whip it.

Repeat as needed.

Writing these up in game terms is left as an exercise for the palindromedary.

Shape it up:  (Total: 52 Active Cost, 21 Real Cost) Major Transform 2d6-1, Partial Transform (+1/2), Does BODY (+1), Improved Results Group (Any shape; +1) (52 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Range (-1/4), Reduced Penetration (-1/4) (Real Cost: 21)

Victim is beaten into shape - any given shape desired.

Get Straight:  (Total: 12 Active Cost, 4 Real Cost) +5 EGO Roll, Usable By Other (+1/4), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor controls the power totally, Recipient must be within Limited Range of the Grantor for power to be granted, Recipient must remain close to Grantor (12 Active Points); Conditional Power Only to keep a straight face (-1), OAF (-1), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

"Keep a poker face, no matter how ridiculous it gets!"

Go Forward:  (Total: 10 Active Cost, 5 Real Cost) Running 6m, Usable As Attack (+3/4), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor controls the power totally, Grantor can only grant the power to others, Recipient must remain close to Grantor (10 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 5)

"I crack the whip and they move!"

Move a Head:  (Total: 7 Active Cost, 3 Real Cost) Stretching 3m, Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4), Usable As Attack (+1), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor controls the power totally, Grantor can only grant the power to others (7 Active Points); Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Limited Body Parts (Head; -1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3)

"I can take your head off with this whip! And put it across the room from you! And make you like it! Or at least, you won't be hurt."

Try to Detect it:  (Total: 30 Active Cost, 13 Real Cost) Invisible Power Effects (Invisible to [two Sense Groups]; +1/2) for up to 60 Active Points of Whip Powers (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Only to Activate, -1/4) (Real Cost: 13)

"Didn't see that did you?"

It's Not Too Late:  (Total: 37 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Naked Advantage: Transdimensional (Single Dimension; +1/2) for up to 60 Active Points, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Power Through time, back to character's DEX on their last phase (-1) (Real Cost: 12)

"I'll hit you with a whip haymaker. No, not in one segment, RIGHT NOW!"

Lucius Alexander

And a well exercised palindromedary

On 4/10/2019 at 8:11 AM, Tech said:

I've got a villain who uses a normal whip as a back-up weapon. However, I know little of whips. What abilities would a normal whip have?

Okay, seriously:

Stretching

A Killing Attack, not too big, and with Reduced Penetration.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says beyond that a lot depends on training

37 minutes ago, Lucius said:

Why?

Lucius Alexander

the palindromedary says perhaps Real Weapon....

Cause I don’t see how someone say Durak with his mighty strength can add anymore to a whips attack   It’s the skill of the whip which causes the damage not the user unlike say an axe.

3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I'm not sure about the "reduced penetration" suggestion.

Certainly it won't do much against hard armor, but these things can peel flesh from bone in skilled hands.

That's exactly the point. If you want an attack that's devastating against the unarmored, but won't penetrate armor too well, you want Reduced Penetration.

Lucius Alexander

I want a palindromedary tagline.

10 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Has reduced penetration changed from "divide the results in half and apply full defenses to each half"?

In which case non-hard (flesh, clothing, leather) PD becomes extremely effective.

Not so effective vs the BODy of a Killing Attack.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary proposes that you could just use Attack vs Alternate Defense, Resistant Physical Defense....

5 hours ago, archer said:

If the temperature of your whip is low enough, you can use it as a desert topping.

Everyone loves Cool Whip.

If you work wonders and do the impossible with your whip, you can use it on a sandwich.

Everyone loves Miracle Whip.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks the "Move A Head" Power might count as a miracle whip power.....

10 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Has reduced penetration changed from "divide the results in half and apply full defenses to each half"?

In which case non-hard (flesh, clothing, leather) PD becomes extremely effective.

IIRC, reduced Penetration only divided the BOD of the attack from its first iteration.