Champions Test Drive

Toxxus

What edition are you using? (If you're wiling to adapt it to fit it may not matter)

My own group loved To Serve and Protect but that was an established hero group with players more familiar with the material.

They also enjoyed the "Spectrum" Storyline in Champions Presents #1 which has some pretty big political consequences for all supers.

Heck, anything by Scott Bennie is gold, but Day of the Destroyer was memorable for my group and might fit 'Epic'

And it's probably blasphemy to say, but the basic set up from the V&V book Crisis at Crusader Citadel translates pretty well to Champions for an intro, the PCs are young rookie heroes trying to join the Crusaders, only to find the elder team is under siege.

Others swear by Voice of Doom, which does similar but said elder team isn't just under siege, they're hunted and out matched... It's a bit grimmer imo

Oh, and my group liked Shades of Black

Champions Battlegrounds is a world wind tour of the Champions Universe in its way, touching on everything from Foxbat bonkers at the mall to Soap Opera danger and a final showdown with the power behind it all

If you don't mind Fifth Edition stats, Digital Hero, Hero Games' electronic magazine, published quite a few Champions adventures. They're mostly intended as one- or two-session introductory adventures, like convention games. All have fully-statted villains, most have maps, and some even include pre-generated heroes. They're also very reasonably priced for 64 pages: https://www.herogames.com/forums/store/category/31-digital-hero-magazine/

My personal recommendation has long been Infectious Enthusiasm, from DH #9. It contains a good balance of combat and non-combat scenarios, and both complete villain and hero teams are provided. But most of these adventures could suit your purpose.

I'm Attaching a list of all the adventures in DH, categorized according to genre, for easy reference. (Thanks to our forum colleague JmOz for creating the list.)

DH Adventures .doc

I'm fond of The Star-Devourer, an adventure published in Different Worlds magazine way back in 1984. It's statted for multiple systems, including Champions.

Unfortunately, it's the version of Champions current back then, but conversion is easy. (And we can help you if you get stuck.)

You will need to modify it a little, as it's tied to its time and place, but the basic concept of a Giant Monster Trying To Eat San Francisco is pretty solid.

Of course, some members of your group might want to let it do that...

On 4/11/2019 at 9:14 AM, Toxxus said:

I've got a table or two at my local comic store that is wanting to give Champions a try (they've enjoyed Fantasy Hero so far).

What are the best adventures in the Champions library?

I want to cut their teeth on something epic.

What edtionnare you using? I would suggest that even if you use 6th ed, I would have the Heroes built like 4th ed. they are well rounded enough with out being overly complex.

On 4/11/2019 at 9:09 AM, Hermit said:

Others swear by Voice of Doom, which does similar but said elder team isn't just under siege, they're hunted and out matched... It's a bit grimmer imo

I don't think you could do better than Voice of Doom. I was driving myself crazy trying to remember the name of the book.

The scenario struck home for me as essential for the genre, playing on the theme of passing the torch from one generation to the next and also pointing out just how dangerous being a superhero can be. If I recall correctly the villain team wasn't out for revenge. They'd just seen a famous team which had fallen on hard times and who would be easy to take out.

If you're wanting to draw in a new group of players into the Champions experience, making them the group to whom the torch is being passed is emotionally powerful.

The Goshawk villain write-up and artwork inspired me.

As a one-shot straight action-adventure scenario, The Island of Dr. Destroyer is IMO still one of the best examples ever published for Champions. I recommend the version for Champions 3E, included with the Game Master's Screen. It's a little pricier than the original 1E module, but the production values are better. (Both are in the Hero Games website store.)

On 4/12/2019 at 9:57 AM, Lord Liaden said:

Gilt Complex. Lots of "gold" puns in that one.

I actually ran that one back in the 80s and the first hit landed by our team that insta-killed one of the Gold's made my players so mad.

Guilt felt:  None.

Player anger towards GM:  Massive.

3 hours ago, Toxxus said:

I actually ran that one back in the 80s and the first hit landed by our team that insta-killed one of the Gold's made my players so mad.

Guilt felt:  None.

Player anger towards GM:  Massive.

I remember that scenario. All I could think of was 'THank goodness I went with a snaring grab'

Another Player wasn't so lucky