Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker

Starlord

The teaser may not be designed to help us learn what the movie is really all about, but its job is to get us excited to see the movie. That appears to have worked on kids and casual fans (not exactly the most discerning lot), but it barely moves the needle for the hardcore fans who have been wounded too deeply by the profound disappointment that was The Last Jedi and the rehash of episode IV that was The Force Awakens.

39 minutes ago, Doc Democracy said:

Hmmm.  When you say that do you mean Luke? Anakin? Leia? or Kylo Ren??  They could all be classed as Skywalkers and, in the movies at least, two of those are readily classed as alive, two as dead...

Carrie Fisher probably wont be in this one (barring CGI in poor taste*).  So, you are down to one.  (or rather one-half;))

*or re-casting, again, in poor taste

17 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Well it wasn't clear Luke died, just that he... fell over for no apparent reason after acting like a completely different person than 3 previous films established him being.

wait, wait, I got it, and then the dying parasitic alien that has been controlling Luke crawls out of Luke's ear.   I just saved your (edit), Rian Johnson.

(Of course, expect Roddenberry estate suing the (edit) I just saved.

11 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

Hmmm.  When you say that do you mean Luke? Anakin? Leia? or Kylo Ren??  They could all be classed as Skywalkers and, in the movies at least, two of those are readily classed as alive, two as dead...

A Kylo redemption arc would complete the 3rd trilogy being a parallel of the first.

But the obvious answer is that Rey is impregnated by the Force Ghost of Emperor Palpatine, then hurtled across time and space to end up on Tattoine where she takes the name Shmi Skywalker and,  never revealing her past, claims that the boy has no father. 

But maybe they have some twist in mind rather than that too-obvious approach. :)

13 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Well it wasn't clear Luke died, just that he... fell over for no apparent reason after acting like a completely different person than 3 previous films established him being.

Luke in Episode IV starts out a whiny little b***h, moves into being a know-it-all in Episode V, and then tries to be the cool kid in Episode VI. Having a much older Luke essentially channeling Ben and Yoda in hiding out in a remote area, nursing his wounds, and occasionally yelling at clouds seems very much in character. 

Barring overwhelming positive reviews from critics, fans and friends this movie will not draw me to the theater. This trailer certainly didn't excite me.

TFA was a weak remake of the original but is had some small promise. TLJ had the same flaws as TFA( it was so bad in other ways that you barely noticed that it followed the plot of TESB almost exactly) while adding widespread incompetence to both sides, altering the personalities of beloved legacy characters, changing the physics of the universe, interjecting preachy political agendas and finally not delivering a single lightsaber duel hurt me so bad that I now can't watch the originals because I know the crappy future of my heroes.

I'll see it but they'll have to settle for whatever percentage they get from my cable subscription.

I actually thought of a way they could salvage this  for me emotionally. It requires Rey becoming more of a Mary Sue but that ship  seems to have unlimited cargo capacity so here goes:

The Jedi have long preached denying their emotions and channeling the Force as  pure thought while the Sith use the Dark Side by harnessing their negative emotions to fuel their power. I'm sure this has been done somewhere in the EU but what if Rey discovers the ability to harness the Force through her positive emotions and then combine that with her controlled dark emotions. She could become a true force master and invent a new way with a balanced relationship with the Force and life. Incredibly cheesy but It is a movie for kids and sets the SW Universe on a hopeful course.

Having a much older Luke essentially channeling Ben and Yoda in hiding out in a remote area, nursing his wounds, and occasionally yelling at clouds seems very much in character. 

But having Luke bitter and hateful man who tries to murder a boy and burn all the texts... not so much.

1 hour ago, Grailknight said:

I actually thought of a way they could salvage this  for me emotionally. It requires Rey becoming more of a Mary Sue but that ship  seems to have unlimited cargo capacity so here goes:

The Jedi have long preached denying their emotions and channeling the Force as  pure thought while the Sith use the Dark Side by harnessing their negative emotions to fuel their power. I'm sure this has been done somewhere in the EU but what if Rey discovers the ability to harness the Force through her positive emotions and then combine that with her controlled dark emotions. She could become a true force master and invent a new way with a balanced relationship with the Force and life. Incredibly cheesy but It is a movie for kids and sets the SW Universe on a hopeful course.

Realizing although Canon, most people haven't seen it, the Star Wars: Rebels series actually explored this and many ways the main protagonist - Ezra - in many ways became what you said. He was studying both light and dark side force.

but what if Rey discovers the ability to harness the Force through her positive emotions and then combine that with her controlled dark emotions.

One would think that in the thousands of years of Jedi history at least one person would have come up with this idea before.  And found that emotions are uncontrollable and lead to bad places if they generate power, no matter how positive you try to make them.

That said I'm sure that's where they're going: hope and joy-joy feelings will save us all!

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

But having Luke bitter and hateful man who tries to murder a boy and burn all the texts... not so much.

If I remember right, Yoda's force-ghost burned the texts, and the attempted murder was Kylo Ren's "certain point of view". Jedi and Sith are by definition unreliable narrators, though the Sith tend to be a bit more honest about their manipulations.