Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker

Starlord

Because The Force Awakens had been so excruciatingly bad, I wouldn't have gone to see The Last Jedi at all if my wife hadn't dragged me to the theater. And I say this as someone who will play the prequel movies as background noise rather than listening to music.

I thought it was noteworthy that, after seeing The Last Jedi, my wife had no interest in dragging me to go see the Solo movie.

I know that most people will watch any old crap if Disney puts a "Star Wars" label on it. Honestly, I would have thought I was desperate enough to see new Star Wars material that I'd put up with any garbage that a filmmaker put out there because they couldn't bury the Star Wars goodness under a deep enough layer of crap to make the movie a flat out bad experience. 

But it turns out that Disney proved conclusively I was completely wrong about that.

5 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Grailknight why would you base seeing a movie based on Critic reviews? I haven’t trusted them in a long time. Fans (depending on how fanatical) and actual movie goers is what is based it on. 

Because it will take all three plus a discount to make me even consider paying money for this movie. I haven't been the target audience since the original trilogy. The prequels used up all my nostalgia and these sequels have done nothing to draw me back.

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Reveal hidden contents

56883609_2466172273437656_45446905931036

Well, I heard my friends really got in a mess
So I'm gonna have to leave Yoda, I guess
But I know that I'll be coming back some day
I'll be playing this part 'till I'm old and grey

The long-term contract that I had to sign
Says I'll be making these movies till the end of time
With my Yoda
Yo-yo-yo-yo Yoda yo-yo-yo-yo Yoda

I will definitely be seeing this movie. The main reason being that I really like watching Ray and Fin on screen. I hope they give Fin stronger content this time. 

If I had a wish, Luke would point out to the other ghosts how stupid the Jedi have been over the years and maybe suppressing emotions and keeping neutral is not such a great idea. 

On 4/13/2019 at 12:36 PM, Grailknight said:

It is a movie for kids

They were _alll_ movies for kids! 

Seriously, I'm always confused by the amount of contempt for everything that followed the first three, because they weren't good, either. 

The first one was fun, but it was Shark Boy and Lava Girl fun: you were pretty sure you weren't going to tell your friends you watched it. 

The second one wasnt better: it started in the middle of something, and ended with nothing resolved, with some "Hey, let's throw a twist or two in here and just sort of....  Oh, and play on the mud, because that periscope gag is golden. 

The third one was terible:

Hey, I don't have any ideas at all.  Let's lift the plot from the first one, include the expanded cast, and ruin the best evil villain anyone has written in a long time by making him suddenly human and repentant.  Break his character comoletely: you know, the exact same thing people will complain about when we do it to Luke thirty fears from now, but somehow it won't bother them _now_. Oh, and teddy bears save the universe, because kids like teddy bears, and kids are the target audience. 

The prequels were crap.

The intro of Rey movie was a big-budget rip off of the first movie, but was panned for it where the third movie: a rip off of the first movie, wasn't. 

The best movie in the entire franchise was Rogue One, if only because it was a sequel that wasn't asinine and boring, had nothing to do with Skywalker and mitochondria-- I mean, the other thing--and actually fit into the story as if it were meant to from the beginning: the thing Lucas himself couldn't pull off. 

I suspect the reason for the bulk of the hate is that the fans aren't kids anymore, and aren't entertained by what the same things as when they were kids, because these movies have gotten no better nor any worse than they were from the very beginning. 

"casual fans" are the correct type of fans for these movies.  Something to remember the fun you had as a kid, and nothing more. 

Maybe it's because I wasn't a kid when I saw them, but I have yet to find a "good" Star Wars movie, period. 

Phew. 

Okay, bring on the hate.  :)

7 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

They were _alll_ movies for kids! 

Seriously, I'm always confused by the amount of contempt for everything that followed the first three, because they weren't good, either. 

The first one was fun, but it was Shark Boy and Lava Girl fun: you were pretty sure you weren't going to tell your friends you watched it. 

The second one wasnt better: it started in the middle of something, and ended with nothing resolved, with some "Hey, let's throw a twist or two in here and just sort of....  Oh, and play on the mud, because that periscope gag is golden. 

The third one was terible:

Hey, I don't have any ideas at all.  Let's lift the plot from the first one, include the expanded cast, and ruin the best evil villain anyone has written in a long time by making him suddenly human and repentant.  Break his character comoletely: you know, the exact same thing people will complain about when we do it to Luke thirty fears from now, but somehow it won't bother them _now_. Oh, and teddy bears save the universe, because kids like teddy bears, and kids are the target audience. 

The prequels were crap.

The intro of Rey movie was a big-budget rip off of the first movie, but was panned for it where the third movie: a rip off of the first movie, wasn't. 

The best movie in the entire franchise was Rogue One, if only because it was a sequel that wasn't asinine and boring, had nothing to do with Skywalker and mitochondria-- I mean, the other thing--and actually fit into the story as if it were meant to from the beginning: the thing Lucas himself couldn't pull off. 

I suspect the reason for the bulk of the hate is that the fans aren't kids anymore, and aren't entertained by what the same things as when they were kids, because these movies have gotten no better nor any worse than they were from the very beginning. 

"casual fans" are the correct type of fans for these movies.  Something to remember the fun you had as a kid, and nothing more. 

Maybe it's because I wasn't a kid when I saw them, but I have yet to find a "good" Star Wars movie, period. 

Phew. 

Okay, bring on the hate.  :)

Ewoks are delicious

2 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Duke there are two types of people in this world. One who likes the original trilogy and the other who are wrong. ?

The original trilogy was the prequels. The earlier films were one film and a sequel in two parts. 

Star Wars 1977 -- complete film

ESB & RotJ -- seperate story that continues the adventures of the characters from the first film. 

The prequels: conceived as a trilogy with story and plot over three films. 

You're mostly right but the first Rey movie was a total knockoff of A New Hope, down to the death star, a desert planet, a sith with black robes, and somehow on earth getting Luke's lightsaber.  Abrams mixed things up a little but he just made an updated his version of the same film.  It could have worked okay but while Abrams is a very fine visual artist and director he's awful at storywriting and characterization.  Rey was a strange mix of forgettable and bizarrely overcompetent.  Everyone else was just a face in the crowd, and the big scary villain is a pathetic loser.

1 minute ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

You're mostly right but the first Rey movie was a total knockoff of A New Hope, down to the death star, a desert planet, a sith with black robes, and somehow on earth getting Luke's lightsaber.  Abrams mixed things up a little but he just made an updated his version of the same film.  It could have worked okay but while Abrams is a very fine visual artist and director he's awful at storywriting and characterization.  Rey was a strange mix of forgettable and bizarrely overcompetent.  Everyone else was just a face in the crowd, and the big scary villain is a pathetic loser.

That's being insulting to pathetic losers everywhere.

9 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

It was a sad day for me when I realized that the amount of Star Wars I liked was outweighed by the amount of Star Wars I didn't like.

Good films:

Star Wars

Empire

Jedi

Okay to decent films:

Rey movie (okay)

Rogue One (decent)

Bad movies:

Prequels

Luke imposter movie

Refused to watch:

Han Faux-lo movie