Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker

Starlord

On 4/15/2019 at 4:48 AM, Jagged said:

ps: wasn't Mace Windhu supposed to have mastered "dark" force techniques? 

In the Extended Universe, he was well known for two things:

1) having mastered the Shatterpoint. That wasn't a well-known technique and almost no one could learn it. But it wasn't dark.

2) He learned the seventh style lightsaber combat in addition to the 6 established ones which were still being taught. The seventh form was being encouraged by most Masters to die out because it required a very intense level of focus by the user and was very ferocious (it was the style employed by Darth Maul in the movies).

If the user lost his internal focus, he could easily fall to the Dark Side. The technique was considered extremely dangerous to the user, but not necessarily dark in and of itself. Windu's teacher, a Jedi Master himself, fell to the Dark SIde through using the technique. Yet Windu, after becoming a Master himself, taught it to his own Padawan. Go figure.

The seventh style was known as "Juyo, the Way of the Vornskyr" and the "Ferocity Form". Windu personally referred to it as "Vaapad". I'm not sure if that was an official name or a word from Windu's native planet.

As has been brought up before, Star Wars suffers from the studios thinking every film has to be a big blockbuster action explosion film.  Its a setting; make various films in that setting.  Romance, action, espionage, drama, etc.  Instead its one stupid big action film after another, with only one exception: Rogue One.

Rogue One's only real flaw is that all the characters are utterly forgettable.  Do you remember even one character's name?

14 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

As has been brought up before, Star Wars suffers from the studios thinking every film has to be a big blockbuster action explosion film.  Its a setting; make various films in that setting.  Romance, action, espionage, drama, etc.  Instead its one stupid big action film after another, with only one exception: Rogue One.

Rogue One's only real flaw is that all the characters are utterly forgettable.  Do you remember even one character's name?

I don't remember any of the character's names. But then I thought the whole movie was forgettable.

Flaws I remember:

1) There was nothing happening on the planet that was worth the Empire blowing up the planet/continent/whatever with their extensive research facility, scientist, fighter base, infantry, AT-AT Walkers, etc. still on it.

2) I would have preferred for them to save the "Rogue One" name for a potential Rogue Squadron and/or Wraith Squadron movie/series. There was zero reason to use that title rather than something else.

I did really like the tropical resort planet. It was a nice change of pace from the desert planet, the forest moon, the city planet, and the sponge planet.

6 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Umm...

Main girl is... Jun Rin?  Joe Ranyun... Jie Ro?  Something like that?  I definitely think it starts with a J, and maybe has an R in it.

Then there's robot guy, and sleazy dude.  And there's Jun Ro's father, who designed the Death Star and worships Dormammu.  And Forest Whitaker.  And the two buddies, the not-Jedi and the guy with the big gun who looks like he belongs in Predator.  And the Imperial guy who pisses off Darth Vader.  Oh yeah, there's somebody.  Darth Vader.  He was in it.  And Princess Leia too.

Jo Rynn!  That's her... no, that's not it.  Jun Ryu?  Hell I dunno.

9 hours ago, archer said:

I don't remember any of the character's names. But then I thought the whole movie was forgettable.

Flaws I remember:

We can play that game with any of them, though.

Look at the first one:

1) Farm boy picks up laser sword (those things have like _no_ safeties to keep your hands from sliding right up the blade!) and becomes really good with it in a few days, right after we're told it's a weapon that must be wielded by Jedi masters.

2) Farm boy asks Harrison Ford "You don't believe in the Force, do you?" In spite of having heard of it himself like what?  Twenty minutes ago?

Harrison Ford refers to it as ancient-- I don't remember if it was the weapon or the religion, but makes the point that it's an _ancient_ thing from long ago.  We meet two living practitioners in this movie and are referred to a third (who we met in the next movie).  Very ancient.

3) We blew up a giant space station and now we win.  Because there is absolutely _no_ chance that this massive oppressive empire had any other military presence anywhere in the universe.  None what-so-ever.  Sure, we saw troops on the desert planet, we saw a gigantic wedge in pursuit of the princess's ship, and we heard allusions to forces, politicians, blockades-- you know: an entire empire, out there, somewhere.  Fortunately, we recalled every single one of them to the space station just before it got blown up.

4) I am not going to mention the science at all, because it's space opera, and anything goes, and I don't find that to be a flaw.  However, I found it ludicrous that there was at least one bar with a rule against serving robots.  What would you serve them, anyway?

5) Droids appear to be autonomous, self-directed, highly-intelligent things.  They are also slaves, and appear to be totally cool with that.

6) there is a hallway with a floor that can be retracted for what reason?  For that matter, how much weight have we saved, over-all, by leaving all floors exposed to sheer drops and not installing any guard rails anywhere?  Then issuing the crew helmets with permanent sunglasses and let them run about in poorly-lit places with lots of ravines?

7) What kind of empire goes around blowing up planets (and presumably people, by the billions) and _doesn't_ expect resistance?  How is it good politics?  you can't tax dead people.

This can go on and on, with any of the movies.  Again, I'm pretty generous to most fans because I understand that majority of them watched the first movie-- maybe even the first three movies-- when they were kids, and they were super-cool to a kid, who is generally looking at the cool stuff and using his mind and imagination to fill in what doesn't make sense, and I'm cool with that, too.

I don't really bother anyone over what they like and don't like, because we're all different.  But I admit that it kind of bugs me how many people can't re-watch those first movies as adults and realize that they just aren't one bit better than any of the others.  You were just easier to please back then.

1) There was nothing happening on the planet that was worth the Empire blowing up the planet/continent/whatever with their extensive research facility, scientist, fighter base, infantry, AT-AT Walkers, etc. still on it.

There was nothing happening on the planet Darth Vaden blew  up, either.  Sorry: Darth Vader.   Darth Vaden is our local Chevy dealer.  That's part of why you know he was the bad guy: he did that _exclusively_ for spite, and it topped anything any other villain had ever done to that point.  And in Rogue One, same thing:   It's lets you know that 1) they're the bad guys and 2) they have resources enough that even what was here was completely expendable if that was the easiest and fastest way to deal with a problem.  It also provides a cautionary tale about taking corporate jobs.

2) I would have preferred for them to save the "Rogue One" name for a potential Rogue Squadron and/or Wraith Squadron movie/series. There was zero reason to use that title rather than something else.

Perfectly fine, but that's not really a problem with the movie, now, is it?

I did really like the tropical resort planet. It was a nice change of pace from the desert planet, the forest moon, the city planet, and the sponge planet.

Totally agreed: the backdrop was pretty cool.  For what it's worth, Rogue One was, to me, the best Star Wars movie ever made: in ten years or so, I could conceivably watch it again, which I can't say about any of the others.

On 4/12/2019 at 6:45 PM, zslane said:

The teaser may not be designed to help us learn what the movie is really all about, but its job is to get us excited to see the movie. That appears to have worked on kids and casual fans (not exactly the most discerning lot), but it barely moves the needle for the hardcore fans who have been wounded too deeply by the profound disappointment that was The Last Jedi and the rehash of episode IV that was The Force Awakens.

I ran out of likes before I saw this comment.

But i whole heartedly agree.  I saw the teaser trailer and shrugged and went about my day. No buzz, no thrill, no *want* to see anymore.  I liken it unto the Last Jedi trailers.  The more of them I saw, the more I didn't want to go see the movie.

So I highly doubt I'll go see Rise of Skywalker.  If I do see it, it won't be in the theater.

On 4/12/2019 at 6:52 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Well it wasn't clear Luke died, just that he... fell over for no apparent reason after acting like a completely different person than 3 previous films established him being.

Didn't he disappear like Obi-Wan did?  Granted, the only lasting impression the Last Jedi left was one of "eww" so I could be misremembering.

5 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Didn't he disappear like Obi-Wan did?  Granted, the only lasting impression the Last Jedi left was one of "eww" so I could be misremembering.

He did.  Of course, Obi-Wan went on to appear in two more movies, so Luke's vanishing act, in and of itself, means pretty much nothing. Except for the special effects budget they'll have to dedicate to his (re) appearance.

On 4/18/2019 at 2:41 PM, Pariah said:

He did.  Of course, Obi-Wan went on to appear in two more movies, so Luke's vanishing act, in and of itself, means pretty much nothing. Except for the special effects budget they'll have to dedicate to his (re) appearance.

Good point. 

• 6 months later...

Perpetually clueless Kathleen Kennedy claims SW is hard because it has no prior source material to draw from

"Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack,” said Kennedy. “There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. we don’t have 800-page novels, we don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be. We go through a really normal development process that everybody else does."

36 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Perpetually clueless Kathleen Kennedy claims SW is hard because it has no prior source material to draw from

"Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack,” said Kennedy. “There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. we don’t have 800-page novels, we don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be. We go through a really normal development process that everybody else does."

Oh dear lord. I was reading Star Wars comics in the early 80s (Okay, not the best set to go by. Giant Green Rabbit)

And it's their own fault they ignored the mountains of novels, some of them very good.

And I enjoyed Kylo's adventures in some video games that had pretty good story moments

It's this sort of BS that gives credence to to fanboy accusations that they don't even know the property. Two minutes on wikipedia would have taught her better.

Disney has done something amazing by making me not care about Star Wars any longer.  I just have zero interest in new films, or even the games.  I beta tested the Knights of the Old Republic MMORPG and played since release but not long ago deleted it off my system.  Just no longer interesting or appealing.