Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker

Starlord

30 minutes ago, Old Man said:

It turns out the Ewoks are the real stars of Episode IX, even destroying the fifth and sixth Death Stars with their Stone Age tech and comedic antics. Also, every Ewok is Force sensitive and in the end they become the core of the new Jedi order. 

Or not. 

😢

***VERY MINOR SPOILERS BELOW***

Considering what this film was left to work with, it was better than expected.  Basically ignores Last Jedi and you could pretty much get by without watching that mess.  There were 2 or 3 legitimately absurd/badly handled moments, some bold decisions many people will hate (not me), A LOT of action and a fast pace help you stumble past the wonky moments, some crazy new force powers (one of which will be recognized by viewers of The Mandalorian), solid main ending ( although it kinda felt like there 2 or 3 endings after the big action scene ending).  The final scene and dialogue were perfect and gave me the feels.

3 out 5 stars

10 hours ago, Old Man said:

It turns out the Ewoks are the real stars of Episode IX, even destroying the fifth and sixth Death Stars with their Stone Age tech and comedic antics. Also, every Ewok is Force sensitive and in the end they become the core of the new Jedi order. 

Or not. 

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, Starlord said:

***VERY MINOR SPOILERS BELOW***

Considering what this film was left to work with, it was better than expected.  Basically ignores Last Jedi and you could pretty much get by without watching that mess.  There were 2 or 3 legitimately absurd/badly handled moments, some bold decisions many people will hate (not me), A LOT of action and a fast pace help you stumble past the wonky moments, some crazy new force powers (one of which will be recognized by viewers of The Mandalorian), solid main ending ( although it kinda felt like there 2 or 3 endings after the big action scene ending).  The final scene and dialogue were perfect and gave me the feels.

3 out 5 stars

Well, after Last Jedi, I will never be fooled again.

11 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

It's better then Cats.

From what I understand that isn't hard.  Apparently the initial release of Cats was the wrong version--an unfinished cut that featured a slew of CGI errors and omissions that elevated an already disturbing film to one of true psychedelia.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Speaking of Cats, is there a reason anybody would want to see it, except for somebody who has a weird Furry/ Taylor Swift fetish combo

Umm, wait, are there people who do?

Do I even want to know?

That sad part it's not a costume. 

Well, I saw Cats live on stage. As a stage musical I found it fun and entertaining, in a light spectacle kind of way. But I think the costumes, makeup, dance numbers and so on probably work better on a stage, where there's some distance separating them from the audience. And of course there was no CGI, so no Uncanny Valley effect.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Speaking of Cats, is there a reason anybody would want to see it, except for somebody who has a weird Furry/ Taylor Swift fetish combo

Do I even want to know?

Gah.......  :nonp: 

Some mental images are just wrong.....

Taylor Swift is in it for one song and then is gone. Swifties who go primarily to see her will be disappointed, I expect.

Cats doesn’t really have a story. Instead it is two hours of (largely unrelated) “cat testimonials”, many of which won’t resonate with viewers, assuming viewers can make sense of those numbers at all. The creepy costumes and bizarre acting choices (as reported by many reviewers) are just further reasons to avoid it.

I suspect that Cats is like Rent: a product of its time that hasn’t aged well and is unlikely to connect with audiences today without  taking it apart and making something completely new with the pieces.

14 hours ago, Badger said:

Do I even want to know?

Just wait for the Ewok mods to come out....

It's a theatrical telling of a book of poetry.  I expect everyone here knows that it is TS Elliott's Old Possum's Book of Cats: a long series of cat-themed poems. 

But back to the point:

It is a musical retelling of a book of theme poetry.  Of _course_ it's not going to age well.  Like Liaden, I enjoyed the stage show- enough that I've seen it twice.  But there is not enough actual _substance_ to see it translate as a story to any other medium. 

43 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

It's a theatrical telling of a book of poetry.  I expect everyone here knows that it is TS Elliott's Old Possum's Book of Cats: a long series of cat-themed poems. 

But back to the point:

It is a musical retelling of a book of theme poetry.  Of _course_ it's not going to age well.  Like Liaden, I enjoyed the stage show- enough that I've seen it twice.  But there is not enough actual _substance_ to see it translate as a story to any other medium. 

Ok, I didn't know that.  (but never previously cared about Cats enough to know anyway)