The Umbrella Academy Characters Thread

Pariah

I haven't read the comic yet--there are still a couple dozen people in queue before me at the local library--but I've watched most of the series. And since spoilers don't really bug me, I've got a pretty fair idea how things turn out. So I've been thinking about the various characters and how they might be written up.

(Spoilered for excessive verbosity.)

#1: Luther seems like the most straightforward in game terms. He's a brick with maybe one level of Growth. He's got pretty good defenses (that chandelier didn't do him much damage) but little or no Resistant Defense (Diego cut him pretty easily). He's got some combat skill levels due to all the missions he's been on, but beyond that, there's nothing really special about his abilities. He does have a couple of huge Psych Lims, though: Loyal to the Monocle, ‘Lawful Good’ mentality, and Honor Before Reason come to mind.

#2: Diego is a bit more complex. From the comics, he has a Life Support power I've never seen him use in the series. I'd say he's got ~20 STR and high DEX and SPD scores. He's got an extensive Martial Arts package and some detective skills. And I'd say he's got an Indirect RKA with his knives. And the traditional “Lone Wolf” Disads--Rebellious, bed Reputation, Hunted/Watched by Police, etc.

#3: I haven't actually seen Allison use her powers in the series yet, except in the flashback sequence. In the comics she's presented as a reality-bender, but in the series I expect a powerful Mind Control requiring Incantations would probably do the trick. I'm not sure whether to classify her daughter as a DNPC or a Psych Lim.

#4: I've never (successfully) built a character by picking the Disads first, but that's probably how I'd try to build Klaus. He's a hot mess. Addiction (Phys Lim, Psych Lim, or Dependence?), PTSD, ADHD and/or Bipolar disorder, Survivor Guilt, and what all else? As far as his powers go, I guess I'd go with some form of Clairsentience (only when sober, worth at least -1, all things considered). And some Streetwise and other petty larceny-related skills, too. I understand that he shows some other abilities in episodes I haven't seen yet.

#5: First, I'd give Five the highest INT score in the family, because he's the only one who acts like he's got any freaking clue what's going on most of the time. Martial Arts and Weapons skills are obvious, as is Teleportation. And probably lots of survival skills. And I'd also give him a Distinctive Features Disad (the Handler even comments on his school uniform).

#6: At this point, I don't know whether to treat Ben as an actual character or a plot device.

#7: Mother of Hades, where do you even start with Vanya? Plenty of Psych Lims, to be sure: Anger and Resentment coupled with Crippling Self-Doubt, to start with. As for her powers, Area Effect Telekinesis with limited Conscious Control would cover most of it, but how in the world do you write up what she did to the Moon?!

Anyway, those are my impressions so far. Thoughts, anyone?

Klaus from the comics has limited Flight (he can levitate), Telekinesis (it is how they explain his limited flight), and a pretty large AoE Energy Blast to represent his ability to "manifest" spirits through his body which can lash out and attack in an area around him.

Five also has Multidimensional Travel (time travel).

Vanya can focus her TK into what might be described as an intense RKA. Her TK could probably also be used as a Force Wall around herself. As to what she did to the moon, well, that is pure Plot Device Power dictated by the script (GM fiat).