Perspectival invisibility

Alcibiades

This power is making my brain hurt.

I have a character who exists in higher dimensions of space-time. From the point of view of someone who exists only in our mundane three dimensions, he appears to be moving in and out of existence as he changes in position relative to you.

So far I have 

Invisibility to Sight Group , Persistent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; when someone moves relative to him; +3/4) (50 Active Points); Requires A Roll (11- roll;

Must be made each Phase/use; -1)

But the problem is that this will activate the power for everyone, not just a particular observer. I want it to affect different observers variably.

Do you get what I'm saying? Two people perceive him; he might be invisible to one, but not the other.

I believe you are overthinking this.  You're adding in an Advantage where there doesn't need to be one.

Invisibility

Zero End (+1/2), Persistent (+1/4)

11- Activation roll (-1)

Limited Power: roll for each target individually each phase (-0)

Done.  The limited power is a -0 because it's not particularly advantageous, nor really extra limiting.  A basic 11- would mean that some phases, nobody can see you, while other times everyone can see you.  Rolling individually means that it'll never be as good as when you're invisible to everyone, but it'll never be as bad as when you're invisible to no one.

I'd add onto Massey to further save time:

11- is a 50% success rate. So, roll 11- ONCE, and then look at the variance from that average to determine how many people fall into which group.

So instead of rolling 11- 7 times for 7 potential observers... roll it once. You roll an 8; that's above average success. So, 5-6 people of that 7 should be affected by the power. Assign them each a number, roll a d6 or a d10.... and the ones whose numbers (or less) come up are affected.

13 hours ago, Manic Typist said:

I'd add onto Massey to further save time:

11- is a 50% success rate. So, roll 11- ONCE, and then look at the variance from that average to determine how many people fall into which group.

So instead of rolling 11- 7 times for 7 potential observers... roll it once. You roll an 8; that's above average success. So, 5-6 people of that 7 should be affected by the power. Assign them each a number, roll a d6 or a d10.... and the ones whose numbers (or less) come up are affected.

11 or less is actually 62% success rate.  :)

10 or less is 50%.

Is there an actual, usable, siezable advantage to the character?  That is, does he sieze on the utility of this power and put it to good use?  Is it something he relies on and can handily manipulate to his advantage?

I ask because it's not clear; not to denigrate what's been offered.  If it is something the character can and does use, then the above suggestions are all great. 

If it is not something that benefits the character, then I think it's being _way_ over-thought, and would fall under Unusual Looks / Distinctive Features. 

10 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Is there an actual, usable, siezable advantage to the character?  That is, does he sieze on the utility of this power and put it to good use?  Is it something he relies on and can handily manipulate to his advantage?

I ask because it's not clear; not to denigrate what's been offered.  If it is something the character can and does use, then the above suggestions are all great. 

If it is not something that benefits the character, then I think it's being _way_ over-thought, and would fall under Unusual Looks / Distinctive Features. 

Sometimes it benefits him, sometimes it doesn't, depending on circumstances. In combat, it benefits him when it activates.

I think I like Massey's approach.

On 4/16/2019 at 10:21 AM, Alcibiades said:

Do you get what I'm saying? Two people perceive him; he might be invisible to one, but not the other.

This is a very cool effect, but I suspect it might be unplayable. You would need to track which other characters could see the character, and that might change every phase. 

I suppose you could make a template of some sort. If another character can see this character without being blacked by the template, he's visible. if not, invisible.

A less overwhelmingly roll-intensive solution might be to buy it as DCV and skill levels with Stealth.  Sometimes he's invisible, making him harder to hit.  Sometimes he's invisible, making him harder to spot.  That should cover the basics, I think. 

If his dimensional travels only affect visibility and not other senses, add in a Not Against Those with Targeting Senses Other Than Sight Group limitation. 

7 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

A less overwhelmingly roll-intensive solution might be to buy it as DCV and skill levels with Stealth.  Sometimes he's invisible, making him harder to hit.  Sometimes he's invisible, making him harder to spot.  That should cover the basics, I think. 

The only problem with this is that it wouldn’t vary from person to person simultaneously. But I like where you’re going. 

How owe about buying DCV with a trigger for an activation roll every time the character is attacked? There’s only the need to keep track of Transdimensional Guy whenever there’s an attack roll against him, and not everyone else. The special effect explains the variable DCV for different attackers: “He was there a second ago . . . .” “No, wait, here he is . . . Oh, dang! He’s gone again!”

6 hours ago, Brian Stanfield said:

The only problem with this is that it wouldn’t vary from person to person simultaneously. But I like where you’re going. 

But it would, since that DCV/Stealth only "happened" if it would have turned a hit/detection into a miss/nondetection.  Base DCV 8, +2 "invisibility" DCV, attacker OCV 9.  If the attacker rolls a 10 or 11, the "invisibility" DCV caused the miss, so he was missed because he was invisible right then and there.  Higher roll he dodged normally, lower roll he was hit anyways. 

6 hours ago, Brian Stanfield said:

How owe about buying DCV with a trigger for an activation roll every time the character is attacked? There’s only the need to keep track of Transdimensional Guy whenever there’s an attack roll against him, and not everyone else. The special effect explains the variable DCV for different attackers: “He was there a second ago . . . .” “No, wait, here he is . . . Oh, dang! He’s gone again!”

That still bloats the number of rolls required.  I'm leery of that since my group is really slow already, but if Alcibiades' group is fast enough he thinks it'll work, that's a good solution too. 

Been thinking about this and I would attack the problem from a different angle.

Instead of Invisibility, I would try to simulate this with Images. Buy the base power to a certain level and then buy minuses to the Perception roll in groups of 2 or 3 with each group having a different activation roll. Add Selective so it has to be rolled against each target.

Still a rolling nightmare of time consumption but if you strike the right balance with the Perception Modifiers,  it should closely model the OP"s request.

Actually, no. Basic Invisibility has a 'fringe'  where the subject can be detected enough to attack if an observer makes a PER Roll. Define the character's 'fringe' as all-or-nothing so that if an observer makes the PER Roll, then the observer clearly sees the character. If the observer fails, then they can't see the character at all. Use the points you saved from not buying the Trigger advantage to buy a linked Change Environment to give observers minuses to their PER Roll.