Sign in to follow this  
L0rd_Magg0t

CITY OF HEROS

Judging from the conversation, this looks like its an illegal private server which is being done just like some people ripped off the WoW software and run their own private server so that they don't have to pay WoW to play in the WoW world.

Not that it isn't nostalgic to see City of Heroes again but I can't imagine that the company will sit still for the existence of a private server running their proprietary software now that the server has been getting publicity and people have started streaming it on Twitch.

It is illegal and not sanctioned by NCSoft.

The code in its entirety has been distributed to the public by people who have been running a private server. It is now up on Discord with the hope that it will be too much trouble for NCSoft to bring legal action against 3k+ private servers and that number was still growing as the day went along. Test servers are running and stable servers are expected in the next week.

I

This video will get you started if interested.

13 hours ago, Grailknight said:

It is illegal and not sanctioned by NCSoft.

The code in its entirety has been distributed to the public by people who have been running a private server. It is now up on Discord with the hope that it will be too much trouble for NCSoft to bring legal action against 3k+ private servers and that number was still growing as the day went along. Test servers are running and stable servers are expected in the next week.

I

This video will get you started if interested.

The individual servers might be too much for NCSoft to go after.

But Twitch and Discord are nice fat big targets for a "cease-and-desist or else".

Not to mention YouTube for allowing the presence of pirated material plus providing instructions on the technical details of how to break the law.

I suspect the game is equivalent to "Issue 0", i.e., the game as it existed at launch in Spring of 2004. That was playable, but compared to how much better it got later on--especially with the new power sets and all the costume pieces--that isn't saying much. Sure, it would be kinda nostalgic and fun to run around and take out street mobs, but I think the Issue 0 experience would get old real fast, particularly for anyone who was still playing when the servers were shut down and were spoiled by all those sweet veteran rewards, costume pieces, incarnate powers, and improved graphics.

The game is supposedly issue 24 with one of the original programmers possibly adding  issue 25 (the last play test update) if he can salvage it from his old computers. Another contributor claims to have access to all the old character files.

As much as I hope for this, I'm trying to remain a skeptic until I can actually log on. Right now the servers can't handle the traffic.

I suspect the game is equivalent to "Issue 0", i.e., the game as it existed at launch in Spring of 2004

The original video says that they have expanded and added to the game, so its even more than when it was shut down.  What that means we can only guess at, but it looked like the graphics at least have been updated.

This is all so interesting! I'm afraid to get my hopes up though.

Looks like this is "legal" in the sense that NCSoft released the I24 source code to the public this past week.

The demos I saw didn't seem to have updated graphics. They looked like everyone was playing at the highest resolution of the old game. It's  just that back then the highest resolution slowed down most machines and most newer machines aren't even phased.

2 minutes ago, zslane said:

This is all so interesting! I'm afraid to get my hopes up though.

Looks like this is "legal" in the sense that NCSoft released the I24 source code to the public this past week.

That would be good news. If NCSoft released the code they probably won't fight or at worst may revive the game themselves. Would help their PR in the non-Korean markets as their salted earth strategy in CoH/V  and other properties has ruined their sales in North America.

6 minutes ago, zslane said:

That's very interesting. Last I'd heard, people were hoping NCSoft would give in and do that but weren't holding out much hope for it.

I guess I should amend my comment about its legality. It isn't legal at all. The secret cabal of reverse engineers (SCORE) released their illegal copy of the source code to the public. Given the fact that it is probably now in the hands of thousands of people, it becomes a case of NCSoft realizing--eventually, if they haven't already--that it simply isn't feasible to hunt down every copy and squash every private server that pops up. However, I can't help but wonder if NCSoft will bring retributive charges against the people in SCORE.

So I logged into the Bree server last night and spent a few hours playing a character to 6th level, soloing the Atlas Park content. There were a lot of people playing, enough that there was usually three instances of Atlas Park going at any given time. I forgot a lot of the keyboard commands, but once I got a couple of the custom keybindings that I was used to, a lot of the old muscle memory kicked in. Everything was exactly like I remember from 2012. Except that I didn't have any of my old characters...

Yeah. Sad, but not surprising.

It is unclear whether or not the "warning" of legal action from NCSoft was legit, as it was not confirmed and validated when I heard the news last night, but it is clear that nobody wants to shake their fist at authority and fund a server outside NCSoft's legal reach.

I just read yesterday's update from the server admin on the COH Discord group and his team is validating what they have on their hard drives and working on a plan going forward. He admits that he panicked and took everything down prematurely. There is still hope and they aren't giving up.

I don't know what kind of compensation deal NCSoft has with the artists and creators of the game to potentially compensate them if NCSoft were to revive the game. Maybe something, maybe nothing.

But I know those people won't get anything at all from the ones who are ripping of NCSoft's intellectual property.

Sometimes I wish the world were filled with easy ethical decisions: that creators would always get compensated and that intellectual property would never disappear from the people who want to enjoy it.

While the law may not agree with me, I regard COH as abandonware. NCSoft no longer has any moral claim to it as far as I'm concerned. They had their chance to maintain the loyal COH customerbase (and the revenue that came from it) six and a half years ago and they chose to callously discard it.

As for its creators, well, I guarantee you that every line of code was written by salaried individuals, and that every image ever created for the game was procured as "work for hire," and so nobody gets anything resembling a royalty just because the game runs on a server somewhere. And do bear in mind that nobody is making money off of these resurrected servers. Everyone working away at getting the game back up and running is doing so on a volunteer basis simply for the love of the game.

While the law may not agree with me, I regard COH as abandonware. NCSoft no longer has any moral claim to it as far as I'm concerned. They had their chance to maintain the loyal COH customerbase (and the revenue that came from it) six and a half years ago and they chose to callously discard it.

I agree.  And the work that was done, was done for the business, so its owned by the business and the people who did it were paid for their work.  Company work like that doesn't involve royalties or ownership.

Actually, it is quite up. Lots of people already with characters at level 50, and I am playing it every night. Good game. Still kicks some butt.

It is up and running for the foreseeable future, legalities and funding notwithstanding.