CITY OF HEROS

Well I went back to play some more and got a mission to fight 5 Hellions, which I did. Then the mission apparently morphed into "Defeat the Hellions Leader and his crew" and damned if I can find them. I'm outside a building with the mission pointer telling me I'm ONE FOOT AWAY from them and there's nothing. Going inside the building doesn't seem to help either.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

The mission is almost certainly inside the building.

That's what I thought but I wandered around in the building for a while fighting guys, but they weren't the same gang (unless I was mistaken). Plus, at the base of the stairs I'm "1 ft." away from the mission objective. At the top of the stairs I'm farther away. It's weird.

If you enter a building and there are enemies to fight, then that is a mission instance. The only buildings you can enter are either protected and full of friendlies (City Hall, the Hospital, the University, Enhancement Stores, Vanguard, Portal Corps, etc.) or mission instances. All other building doors will refuse to open for you.

I went back into the building and did a "maze sweep" (follow the right-hand wall until I covered the whole floor, then up the stairs, lather, rinse, repeat) and finally found the guys I was looking for and kicked their asses. (I also watched a couple of tutorials and modified my UI so I was doing better).

That said...I'm not finding the game particularly interesting. Given that I find the graphics in Champions Online considerably more appealing, I'll probably do what little online gaming I do there instead. Maybe I'm a victim of believing all the hype I've heard over the years about how terrific COH was/is. Yeah, the options for character design are vastly greater than CO (and don't cost you money), but otherwise, I'm still partial to CO.

City of Heroes shines in team play. Yes, most of the content is soloable if you know what you are doing, but the heart and soul of its design resides in team play. If you aren't doing that, then you aren't really going to "get" what makes the game so great. There are no "loot" mechanics, the sidekicking system is a unique and inspired game mechanic, the zones are well-designed, and the synergy between power sets is unlike other games due to the degree of buff/debuff stacking in the game. Try teaming up with five or six other superheroes for several missions and then assess the game again.

• 2 months later...

About to start a superhero RPG as a player and one of the other guys in the group used to play CoH with me, so we were getting nostalgic via email.  I finally broke down and did the download and signed up, thinking "I'll just go in, play with the costume designer, make a hero for my upcoming game, and that's it."  And 3 hours and many levels later I logged off.

I forgot what an incredible time sink this game is.  I will have to use it sparingly.