How Dungeons And Dragons Somehow Became More Popular Than Ever

wcw43921

17 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

One of the things that I have noticed, though, is the bug-eyes I get when someone asks me if i've watched this or that or the other thing or played this or that video game and I reply with "I haven't owned a television in seven or eight years.  I read a lot when I'm caught up with life."

I am nearly there, I do watch some TV, but I haven't played a computer/console game in years every since they quite making them.  Or at least anything I find remotely interesting.  And don't ask me about my opinion of CRPG's or their non-existence as actual RPGs. :sick:

I get bug-eyed looks when I try to use a book, any book as an aid in descriptions.  People will actually say "Oh, I don't read, is there a show or game that is like it?"  AAARRFGGGHHHHHHHHHhhh!!! :shock::ugly:

54 minutes ago, Spence said:

I am nearly there, I do watch some TV, but I haven't played a computer/console game in years every since they quite making them.  Or at least anything I find remotely interesting.  And don't ask me about my opinion of CRPG's or their non-existence as actual RPGs. :sick:

I get bug-eyed looks when I try to use a book, any book as an aid in descriptions.  People will actually say "Oh, I don't read, is there a show or game that is like it?"  AAARRFGGGHHHHHHHHHhhh!!! :shock::ugly:

Role Playing Games like Champions or Dungeons and Dragons are social games where people get together to go on an adventure together.  People who like to do math, and use pens and paper.  The internet has made is possible for people who aren't capable of social interaction to play games as their favorite superhero and never actual physical meet another human being.  Which is general a good thing because it keeps them off the streets or becoming supervillains.

21 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

Role Playing Games like Champions or Dungeons and Dragons are social games where people get together to go on an adventure together.  People who like to do math, and use pens and paper.  The internet has made is possible for people who aren't capable of social interaction to play games as their favorite superhero and never actual physical meet another human being.  Which is general a good thing because it keeps them off the streets or becoming supervillains.

To a point I guess :winkgrin:

But since the mid 80's till now I have yet to see a single computer or console based RPG.  Several decent tactical games and a plethora of mind numbing shooters.  But no RPG's.

But I will agree keeping them off the streets is good though we'd have little fear of them becoming supervillains :bounce:

2 hours ago, Spence said:

Sad, but true as far as I can tell.  I still read A LOT.  I go through fiction fast (plus audible versions on the commute) because I am not trying to really retain anything.  Good interesting non-fiction is another story as a good books can turn into a research project really fast.

Yes, but what I was trying badly to say is more about younger people not picking up the paper & dice type of games to replace the “graying” of the marketplace.
   In other words us old f@rts are dying off and kids are more interested in on-line games.  Easy to learn, no heavy reading required either for rules and world books or to just understand where the concepts come from that make a future GM.  Most especially there’s no emotional content needed to push buttons the way there is for role play and no need to use an imagination grown stale from having every thought and dream blasted through in IMAX.

Spence, I didn’t look up your Bio, but I’m willing to guess that you’re closer to 30 than 20.  And it’s those 15 and 16 year olds we need to keep these games alive.  
    Sorry folks, tonight I’m just a grumpy old guy who’s late for his dinner.

1 hour ago, Tjack said:

Spence, I didn’t look up your Bio, but I’m willing to guess that you’re closer to 30 than 20.  And it’s those 15 and 16 year olds we need to keep these games alive.  
    Sorry folks, tonight I’m just a grumpy old guy who’s late for his dinner.

:rofl:  LOL......   Thank you, I needed a good laugh.   Oh I agree 100% that we need to get the attention  of the 15 and 16 year olds.  But I'm closer to 60 than 50.  I'd love to be all 30ish again, especially with what I know now :winkgrin:

15 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Dude, I would sell a _soul_ to have a head _full_ of grey hair....  :(

Comb overs work wonders, or so I tell myself.......:angel:

35 minutes ago, Spence said:

:rofl:  LOL......   Thank you, I needed a good laugh.   Oh I agree 100% that we need to get the attention  of the 15 and 16 year olds.  But I'm closer to 60 than 50.  I'd love to be all 30ish again, especially with what I know now :winkgrin:

I was trying to be nice, you write too well to be one of those young whippersnappers with their loud music, always riding their bikes on my lawn, damn kids.

1 minute ago, Tjack said:

Don’t worry, I’m sure your skin is grey and sallow enough for anyone.

I have worked outdoors my entire life.  I live in Georgia.  Dude, my _bones_ aren't white.  :lol:

36 minutes ago, Spence said:

I'd have to comb it up from my chest, I'm afraid. ;)

1 minute ago, Tjack said:

Don’t worry, I’m sure your skin is grey and sallow enough for anyone.

I have worked outdoors my entire life.  I live in Georgia.  Dude, my _bones_ aren't white.  :lol:

36 minutes ago, Spence said:

I'd have to comb it up from my chest, I'm afraid. ;)

Just now, wcw43921 said:

I notice you didn't say your soul. :tsk:

I didn't _mean_ my soul. ;)  It's just hair, dude.  It's not worth _my own soul_.  Still, it would be nice to have options, and there are some guys at work I'm pretty sure have no hard plans for their own souls, so....

Don't get me wrong:  I've been shaving my head since it started to thin twenty years ago: i just didn't want anyone thinking I was that sad Carlin-esque guy with the bald head and ponytail  (you were a funny guy, George, but that oft-repeated Ben Franklin look was just _sad_, man...).  As soon as the widow's peak started climbing, I ditched it all.  I look like a really old Ivan Koloff now.  :lol:

On 1/5/2020 at 1:43 PM, Spence said:

To a point I guess :winkgrin:

But since the mid 80's till now I have yet to see a single computer or console based RPG.  Several decent tactical games and a plethora of mind numbing shooters.  But no RPG's.

But I will agree keeping them off the streets is good though we'd have little fear of them becoming supervillains :bounce:

The ultimate example of which is The Big Bang Theory.

You know Sheldon became one after he got the Nobel Prize.

On 1/5/2020 at 5:50 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Don't get me wrong:  I've been shaving my head since it started to thin twenty years ago: i just didn't want anyone thinking I was that sad Carlin-esque guy with the bald head and ponytail  (you were a funny guy, George, but that oft-repeated Ben Franklin look was just _sad_, man...). 

I resemble that remark!  I also take solace in the fact that as sad as I may look at least I'm not wearing a man-bun, aka doucheknot, aka b*tch handle.  😁