Avengers Endgame with spoilers

Bazza

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like Gone With The Wind for a lot of reasons but it was an amazing achievement in terms of filmmaking and profit

I wonder what the numbers would be for modern movies if the only time and place you could ever see them was during their run in a theater.

That's what box office numbers means.  Just theater viewings.

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

That's what box office numbers means.  Just theater viewings.

Obviously.

My point was more and more people wait to see movies.  Heck, I personally know Marvel movie fans who are waiting for the Endgame rental or bluray.  I can think of 5 movies off the top of my head right now that I'm waiting for, but I'd probably see at the theater if I had no other choice.

Comparing box office numbers before the wide spread use of home video and after is apples and oranges IMO.

Well, since Hermit is from the South, so it must have been Cap.  Also, it was Steve who rebelled against "The Man" believing he was in the right, and didn't sign, which broke up the Avengers. But then, Steve is from the North. It gets complicated. 

19 hours ago, Bazza said:

The Incredible Hulk Star Lou Ferrigno Says He Can't Take Mark Ruffalo's Hulk Seriously - comicbook.com
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/07/13/the-incredible-hulk-lou-ferrigno-cant-take-marvel-studios-mark-ruffalo-hulk-seriously/

Yeah, sure Lou.  We'll all get off your lawn now too.

I could never take his Hulk seriously, with that fright wig and not being bullet-proof and all.

On 7/13/2019 at 12:34 PM, Starlord said:

Comparing box office numbers before the wide spread use of home video and after is apples and oranges IMO.

Comparing box office numbers without accounting for inflation is also apples and oranges, and yet that is the approach taken by Hollywood because one-upsmanship is more important than making valid comparisons. In show business, perception always wins out over reality.

*chuckle* inflating numbers is not reality. Actual box office is X. If Y movie has a greater box office then it beats it. #inRealDollars 

eg: the 1940 film Rebecca made $6 million at the box office. Actual dollars. The number with inflation is different, and not real money. 

5 hours ago, Bazza said:

*chuckle* inflating numbers is not reality. Actual box office is X. If Y movie has a greater box office then it beats it. #inRealDollars 

eg: the 1940 film Rebecca made $6 million at the box office. Actual dollars. The number with inflation is different, and not real money. 

Total box office rankings in general have no practical significance -- it's all about bragging rights. People who want to brag will rationalize what will let them brag the most.

BTW if you invested those $6 million from Rebecca wisely back in 1940, you'd probably have some pretty serious real money now.