Avengers Endgame with spoilers

Bazza

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/7/2019 at 7:22 AM, Starlord said:

- In 2013 (Winter Soldier), he definitively declares he's 95 = born in 1918

- In First Avenger it said he had already been previously rejected for duty many times.  His persistence is one of the reasons Dr. Erskine approached him.

-  The MCU wiki gives Peggy's birthdate as April 9, 1921 FWIW.

Still lacks logic to me.  24 years old in 1942 when the US joins the war?  No way did he seem older than Peggy in First Avenger (but then, girls do mature faster :)).  He can be rejected "many times" by showing up at a different recruiting office every day for a few weeks.

On 5/7/2019 at 9:55 AM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Dr Strange could have handled Thanos solo, at least the guy in the comics could have.  Instead he's a bus who makes predictions in the movies. 

Strange was one of the few characters, MCU, to fight Thanos solo.  He came out better than the Hulk, and Thanos had more of the Infinity Stones when he fought Strange.  Comics Doc didn't beat Thanos single handedly either.

With a huge cast, I'm not surprised Doc got little attention in Endgame.  He was a focus character in IW< and was not in existence for most of Endgame.  Similarly, Cap and BW were just "there" in IW because their focus arcs were in Endgame.

On 5/7/2019 at 11:00 AM, Starlord said:

I was disappointed we didn't get a return of the Vision somehow with Endgame.  He is one of the most unique MCU characters with regards to his origin, personality and powerset.

The link to the Mindgem makes it tough, but given they were working on a mechanism that would allow him to survive without it in IW, it would not have been hard for Tony to take up the role Hank Pym has played in the comics and revive him, working with the Wakandans.  He had five years, after all.

Cap staying in time and aging has boat loads of other problems beyond aging despite the super soldier serum.  Everyone would have known it, since he would have been Captain America for all that time.  And yet, he didn't bother helping his best friend Bucky who he'd do anything for, even go to war against half the Avengers and betray Iron Man for.  But hey, he got to dance with Peggy, right?

Some of the stuff they did works for the end of a TV show or a series, but they're planning on doing more of these movies.  One almost gets the impression that they're going to do some kind of multiverse reboot (remember what the "Ancient One" said about multiverses if they didn't get one of the stones back?  And how Loki took one?  And how the next Iron M.. sorry, Spider-Man film has a Mysterio from another dimension?), so all this gets wiped away.

56 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Cap staying in time and aging has boat loads of other problems beyond aging despite the super soldier serum.  Everyone would have known it, since he would have been Captain America for all that time.  And yet, he didn't bother helping his best friend Bucky who he'd do anything for, even go to war against half the Avengers and betray Iron Man for.  But hey, he got to dance with Peggy, right?

Cap had enough Pym particles to go back and help his best friend Bucky once he and Tony hit the lab in the '70s.  He could have rooted Hydra out of SHIELD before it was even formed.  He made the decision not to do so, independent of any issue with Peggy, due to the impact on the timeline.  He could, however, live that life with Peggy, provided he did  not interfere with the timeline - which meant giving up being Captain America in order to be "Steve Rogers, husband of Peggy Carter-Rogers".

Like any successful franchise, an eventual reboot seems inevitable - especially if the Phase 4 movies don't score the same box office success.  A reboot with new actors as Cap and Iron Man seems highly likely in that case.

Kind of like Batman got rebooted after the BatNipple Costumes did not attract a lot of moviegoers...

He could, however, live that life with Peggy, provided he did  not interfere with the timeline - which meant giving up being Captain America in order to be "Steve Rogers, husband of Peggy Carter-Rogers"

He interfered with the timeline by not being frozen.  Why would he give up being Cap?

And now the Russos are saying that Cap was always worthy to wield Mjolnir, but chose not to lift it (in Age of Ultron) or attempt to use it (any other time he might have had an opportunity to prior to the battle in Endgame) merely to avoid wounding Thor's pride.

I liked Cap's send off.  He's ready to settle down, and seeing Peggy again in 1970 brings back all the old emotions.  He's been coaching people for the last 5 years, helping them adjust to loss and telling them to get back out there, and all the while he hasn't been taking his own advice.

I think the loss to Thanos changed their perspective.  Wasn't it Rhodey who asked Natasha if the stuff she was doing really needed to be done at all?  It was a traumatic experience and the Avengers all handled it differently.  Once they found a way to set it right, Cap was done.  He'd been living in a world that didn't really feel like his own for almost 15 years.  He'd seen half the world die, and had brought it back.  For the previous 5 years he'd been more Captain Therapist than Captain America.  I got the feeling that he was already sort of retired.  There weren't that many super threats running around that needed a face full of vibranium shield.

Cap goes back to 1946 or so, meets Peggy and they pick up where they left off.  I never saw the Peggy Carter series, so I don't feel like I've got to fit anything in there.  It's easy enough for Steve to dye his hair, maybe grow a mustache or a beard.  Everybody thinks he's dead, so nobody is going to be very suspicious if the guy Peggy marries kinda looks like an older version of Steve.  He wears some loose clothes to hide his Cap physique, gets a job as a truck driver or something, and he knows it'll all be okay in the end.  Obviously the two of them work out some sort of understanding as far as keeping things secret.  Maybe the reason Hydra doesn't get to seize control until 2013 is because Steve and Peggy have been quietly opposing them over the years.  It's only once she's bedridden that they're really able to move forward.  By that time, just-thawed Cap is running around.

27 minutes ago, zslane said:

And now the Russos are saying that Cap was always worthy to wield Mjolnir, but chose not to lift it (in Age of Ultron) or attempt to use it (any other time he might have had an opportunity to prior to the battle in Endgame) merely to avoid wounding Thor's pride.

They've made a number of declarations like that recently; but as they've also stated, they're no longer responsible for making decisions for the MCU, so any future movie writers/directors can ignore any of their statements, and just extrapolate from what appeared on screen.

Which makes sense and fits the comic books (he lifted Mjolnir a couple times there too).  I mean, he started to lift it in Avengers 2.

I always figured that Cap was worthy, but intent also matters (unless you're Thor -- it is his hammer after all).  Sure, Asgardians love getting drunk and flexing their muscles, and Odin would be happy with post-battle feats of strength, but it's not something that Cap is all that comfortable with.  He's a humble guy, and gaining the powers of a pagan god just to prove he's better than everyone around him isn't exactly in his comfort zone.  The hammer wiggles, but Steve is internally conflicted.

On the other hand, saving his planet from destruction?  Saving Thor's life?  Stopping the greatest mass murderer in the universe?  Cap has no reservations about that.  His mind and body are one.

The movies are using branching timeline rules so Cap going back in time means he created a timeline where he could retire with Peggy Carter while in this timeline he was still frozen and had to wait to be thawed out.

The only question is did he retire, or did he spend the next few decades helping that timeline until he was thawed out. No one knows.

All of this was explained in the movie.

CES 

10 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

The movies are using branching timeline rules so Cap going back in time means he created a timeline where he could retire with Peggy Carter while in this timeline he was still frozen and had to wait to be thawed out.

The only question is did he retire, or did he spend the next few decades helping that timeline until he was thawed out. No one knows.

All of this was explained in the movie.

CES 

Since he showed up in the same timeline he left (or at least a version of Cap showed up in the timeline that a version of Cap left), I think we've got to accept the possibility that he was always there.

In 2012, when one Cap is fighting an earlier version of Cap over Loki's scepter, somewhere there's a third version of Cap (much much older) who is holding Peggy's hand while she's in the hospital.  When freshly thawed out Cap finds out that Peggy (not Sue) got married, he doesn't know that she's married to his future time traveling self.

Don't forget, regarding the Hammer, that when Cap wields it Thor shouts "I KNEW IT". I think he recognized that of all the mortals he knows, Steve was worthy.

And note, Stormbringer doesn't have the same restriction, as Odin was gone when it was created.

Regarding Loki escaping, they almost had to do that, as the snap should only have brought back those killed by Thanos's snap.

5 hours ago, massey said:

Since he showed up in the same timeline he left (or at least a version of Cap showed up in the timeline that a version of Cap left), I think we've got to accept the possibility that he was always there. 

He already returned from a branching timeline, so I don't see a problem. The Russos also stated that he went to an alternate timeline to be with Peggy. By their rules, he had to have made an alternate timeline to be with her.