Avengers Endgame with spoilers

Bazza

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, zslane said:

A Rolls Royce Wraith only cost £1700 back in 1938. What a piece of garbage it must have been.

Speaking of, three prices from April 1949:

Charter air holiday flight round trip flight to the island of Madeira and back to Britain: £85, or a hair above $420;

Brand new 1949 Packard with all the trimmings: $2450;

Average house price: $14,500;

Average wage: $3600. 

After closely examining these figures from my reading, I have come to the only possible conclusion: Things cost different amounts at different times. It's a funny old world. But I wouldn't mind it if the average house still cost four years average salary.

26 minutes ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

But I wouldn't mind it if the average house still cost four years average salary.

It's not too far off (quick internet search pulling up 47,500 and 226,000 respectively) at roughly 4.75 years average salary.

And I know this varies WILDLY depending on where you live and the tax environment of your country/state/county/city.

16 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Like I always say: Things aren't more expensive. Money's just worth less.

Back when currency was exchangeable for precious metals it was worth a LOT more.

We wouldn't even be having minimum wage discussions if currency was still tied to precious metals.  An old silver dollar has about $12.30 worth of silver in it.  How would you like to be earning a minimum wage of... $92.25/hour?

I'd take that deal in a minute.  :)

32 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

Back when currency was exchangeable for precious metals it was worth a LOT more.

We wouldn't even be having minimum wage discussions if currency was still tied to precious metals.  An old silver dollar has about $12.30 worth of silver in it.  How would you like to be earning a minimum wage of... $92.25/hour?

I'd take that deal in a minute.  :)

So would have people back then, but most common labors were "dollar a day men".  So, how would you like to be paid $12.30 for a days work?

32 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I, too, yearn for simpler bygone days. But you’re right, the precious metal standard does nothing for the minimum wage and also cedes control of the money supply to the commodities markets. 

If I had to live through the last 20,000 years of 'civilization' like you have, I wouldn't long for the bygone days.  I like my dental hygiene and running water.  :)

Kang made an appearance in the first season of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I thought they did a great job with him. I'll bet the folks behind MCU could tell some great stories with him. I'd just be concerned that they'd use him up too quickly, like they did with Ultron.

(As a side note, A:EMH did a pretty good job with Ultron, too.)

A:EMH was a great superhero animated series, cancelled too soon. I agree that their handling of both Kang and Ultron (who had significant story arcs) was impressive. Part of that IMHO is the ability of a television series to draw out a story over multiple episodes to explore it fully, which most movies don't have the luxury of.

What made Kang work especially well there, is that while his background was based on comic-book Kang, he was given a story-based reason to focus all his attention on the Avengers and their era, so that actual time-travel was only a brief feature of his appearances.