Avengers Endgame with spoilers

Bazza

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suppose one had not seen Avengers Endgame, what other films should one see beforehand in order for it to make sense. Assume they can get Avengers Infinity War, Black Panther on DVD and can still see Captain Marvel still at the cinema.

Assume also that they have seen the previous two Avengers films and all three Captain America and Iron Man films And Dr Strange.

Asking for a friend

My oldest friend (from 2nd grade) invited me to see it with him last night....

at the AMPAS Samuel Goldwyn Theater, In Beverly Hills. He’s an Academy member and votes for the Oscars, so we were surrounded by industry people. I had forgotten what a good theater experience was outside of my local Korean  movie theater. Respectful, quiet adults and their guests and families, and no talking, no cel phones, so there were no distractions. 

I was totally sucked in to the movie. Favorite moments were the  Hawkeye vs Yakuza fight, Tony and his family, The Hulk’s desultory wrecking things for old times. “So many stairs!!!”, Fat Thor and his buddies. Scott finding his daughter. Tony and his Dad.  Images of Thanos’ ship hanging in the sky. “Lebowski” ,  the reveal of our defending army. The fight scenes, and Tony’s farewell recording.  I admit I wept many times in that theater. The emotional roller coaster.... yeah, that was a thing. I think this is the peak of the MCU. I think after this, it’s a long, slow,

decline, until Kevin Feige is made head of Paramount, then it will be rapid. The Grrl power moment in the final battle gave me pause. Is it a sign of coming woke-ness? Will Disney ruin the MCU like it has with Star Wars?  Thankfully though, the moment was brief. The signatures during the credits for the Actors, and the lack of any post credit scenes made the end of End Game feel like artist signing their names on an epic painting upon its completion. 

After the movie there was a Q&A with Feige, one of the two Russo brothers, and the two screen writers. They heaped effusive praise on composer Alan Silverstein, and Chris Hemsworth ‘s ability to mix Humor and Pathos, and Robert Downey Jr.’s charisma, they also praised. Marvels casting director that had been with the project since the beginning. The results of her work were on full display in that long tracking shot at Tony’s funeral. The talk was amusing but not lengthy. After that, my friend and I had a nice dinner and talked of nostalgic topics and family ngossip. 

20 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Suppose one had not seen Avengers Endgame, what other films should one see beforehand in order for it to make sense. Assume they can get Avengers Infinity War, Black Panther on DVD and can still see Captain Marvel still at the cinema.

Assume also that they have seen the previous two Avengers films and all three Captain America and Iron Man films And Dr Strange.

Asking for a friend

Off the top of my head

Ironman

Captain America

Thor Dark World

Guardians of The Galaxy

The Avengers 

Spiderman Homecoming 

Thor Ragnarok

Anvengers Civil War

Antman&Wasp

Avengers Infinity War

SPECIFIALLY

Avengers

Thor Dark World

Guardians of the Galaxy

Antman &Wasp

Infinity War

5 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

Boy, Black Widow and Vision sure got shortchanged on the memorial service front, huh?  Tony got the big sendoff.  

I assume that those characters got appropriate memorial services off-screen. Tony’s would certainly be the one that affected the most people. 

14 hours ago, Bazza said:

Above article* postulates that if all of Peter’s classmates were part of the Fallen, then having be returned to living, would all be in the same situation as Peter, thus no 5 year plot hole with them in college and Peter still in school. 

A bit bit of a reach, sure, but it is an explanation. 

* Avengers: Endgame – 8 revelations about the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Well, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, they do seem to show Queens as being fairly deserted.

I’ve got to admit that my first and only reaction to the five year gap is that it will almost certainly be largely swept under the rug. I think any fan expecting it to be dealt with in future movies, other than as a passing mention, is going to be seriously disappointed. Now, it’s possible that some writer or director will have a clever idea for a future movie that makes good creative use of the gap, but I wouldn’t count on it. 

And as for Spider-Man: Far from Home being the last movie of Phase 3, I suspect that is more of a matter of convenience than a matter of it dealing with any lingering questions,  From what I’ve heard (and I could be wrong), Marvel will be revealing Phase 4 at Comic-Con, so it was probably easier to simply say that SM:FFH was part of Phase 3 rather than say that Phase 4 had already begun when they make the big announcement, especially if the movie has little to do any ongoing arc they may be using for that Phase.

I generally enjoyed it, but there was a lot of little things that bugged me. For example...Cap had the Soul stone...I thought for sure he would use it by heroically sacrificing himself to bring Natasha back. The five year gap should have been a major issue for all the returning folks....barely touched on. Comic relief Thor was embarrassing and quite frankly an insult to the character(I didn't enjoy "everything's a joke" Thor: Ragnarok either). There were a lot of good moments, but it fell short of the "perfection" everyone seems to be praising it for.

I thought things tied up with the original Avengers almost perfectly.  I think I wanted Winter Soldier to get the shield, but that is because in my opinion the Falcon is done well and looks cool fight scenes.  Thor will be swapped for Beta Ray Bill in the next Guardians of the Galaxy I feel and then new characters can have their stories told.  It was a brilliant send off and I would love to see Mike Coulter added as Luke Cage going forward or Professor Hulk perhaps switched out for the She-Hulk, which would take an end credits scene to set-up the character.  Anyway, this movie blew way past my expectations.

15 hours ago, rjcurrie said:

I’ve got to admit that my first and only reaction to the five year gap is that it will almost certainly be largely swept under the rug. I think any fan expecting it to be dealt with in future movies, other than as a passing mention, is going to be seriously disappointed. Now, it’s possible that some writer or director will have a clever idea for a future movie that makes good creative use of the gap, but I wouldn’t count on it. 

And as for Spider-Man: Far from Home being the last movie of Phase 3, I suspect that is more of a matter of convenience than a matter of it dealing with any lingering questions,  From what I’ve heard (and I could be wrong), Marvel will be revealing Phase 4 at Comic-Con, so it was probably easier to simply say that SM:FFH was part of Phase 3 rather than say that Phase 4 had already begun when they make the big announcement, especially if the movie has little to do any ongoing arc they may be using for that Phase.

Likely, but I'm one of those fans (as I posted elsewhere) who actually does want them to reference it and to do something with the "new state of things" in the MCU. Feige and company have taken risks in the past and their best movies actually expect the viewers to be smart, and they've clearly demonstrated that a mass audience can handle complex continuity. It would be highly disappointing if they started playing it safe and ignoring the established past, now. 

We'll see, but again, I mentioned this earlier, Far From Home will be a litmus test of what they are thinking. I mean, they spent 11 years referencing movies that came before... I actually think it would be odd if they ignored that now.

57 minutes ago, RDU Neil said:

Was there a possible outcome where Clint Barton sacrifices himself instead of her? 
McFEELY There was, for sure. Jen Underdahl, our visual effects producer, read an outline or draft where Hawkeye goes over. And she goes, “Don’t you take this away from her.” I actually get emotional thinking about it. 
MARKUS And it was true, it was him taking the hit for her. It was melodramatic to have him die and not get his family back. And it is only right and proper that she’s done.

Okay, so it's Jen we blame ;)

(Mind you, I agree with Jen. To hell with Loki, Natasha's ledger is clean)